FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Junk Mail Filtering-Apple mail
#59800 11/03/21 01:57 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a persistent piece of spam that keeps changing a series of digits to make it look like it's a different source each time. I noticed there is a common part of the address script consisting of 6 digits and the first part of my email address: "332248.myname@". If I instruct Apple Mail Rules to delete "332248.myname@" on arrival, Mail Rules asks if I wish to apply it now and it will immediately get rid of the message. However, Apple Rules allows it in the next time it shows up.

Apple Rules has an Advanced feature with considerable fine-tuning of the 'go away' criteria and I'm thinking it may be a better approach. Any cautions?

Last edited by ryck; 11/03/21 01:59 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Junk Mail Filtering-Apple mail
ryck #59802 11/03/21 02:16 PM

I use Mail's Advanced rules and have for years, but I don't think they are going to accomplish what you want that way. The spammers know exactly what to tweak to avoid the kind of block you are attempting. I have had good results using SpamSieve. With proper training it is adept at detecting the kind of spam you are getting.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59845 11/06/21 03:27 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I have had good results using SpamSieve. With proper training it is adept at detecting the kind of spam you are getting.
My experience so far is less than good. SpamSieve provides instructions of epic proportions so I figured "step by step" and "exactly what they say" would be best and that's what I did. However, I got to a point where SpamSieve highlighted a pile of my real mail, by greying it out.

At that point, I worried that I could be executing a command that deletes a bunch of mail I want, so I decided to stop everything. I removed the SpamSieve extension and, according to their Uninstall instructions, moved SpamSieve to the trash. However, my mail remained greyed out, so I did a restart.

However, all the same mail remains greyed out. Any thoughts on how to fix that?

Edit: I fixed it. All the greyed out messages had a bar across the top saying I had labeled it as Junk, so I went through the messages, one by one, and checked off "Not Junk". No more grey.

Last edited by ryck; 11/06/21 03:35 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #59847 11/06/21 04:30 PM

SpamSieve does not delete mail that you mark as junk. Depending on your configuration and e-mail software, it moves it to a folder labeled "Spam" or "Junk".

I have been a fan of SpamSieve for many, many years and would encourage you to give it a second chance. Training it really comes down to you marking an e-mail as "spam" or "good". Initially you will have to review the e-mails marked by SpamSieve, but this quantity rapidly decreases.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #59849 11/06/21 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
SpamSieve does not delete mail that you mark as junk. Depending on your configuration and e-mail software, it moves it to a folder labeled "Spam" or "Junk".

I have been a fan of SpamSieve for many, many years and would encourage you to give it a second chance. Training it really comes down to you marking an e-mail as "spam" or "good". Initially you will have to review the e-mails marked by SpamSieve, but this quantity rapidly decreases.

I concur with Ira. But I would note that it is a powerful tool and like most powerful tools there is a learning curve for its use. In the case of SpamSieve the learning curve is double edged. You have to learn how to use SpamSieve and SpamSieve must learn what you consider SPAM. Spend some time and read the SpamSieve help file before you reject it altogether. One other factor, In Mail SpamSieve flags incoming messages as Spam and what happens after that depends on the settings in Mail.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard