FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
limitless human stupdity
#59813 11/04/21 12:08 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Einstein was right about the infinite nature of human stupidity. Why hundreds of QAnon supporters showed up in Dallas, expecting JFK Jr.’s return (And these people vote.)

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: limitless human stupdity
jchuzi #59814 11/04/21 12:32 PM

Oh, well, another failed Q prediction, but we've got Mike Lindell's Thanksgiving spectacular to look forward to.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #59816 11/04/21 03:14 PM

Or, he was going to be a zombie vice president who would eat the brains of everyone who doesn't support bonespur.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: limitless human stupidity
ryck #59819 11/04/21 04:16 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I hope that my misspelling of "stupidity" in the thread title does not reflect on my intelligence! blush That's why I'm writing this as a reply.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #59820 11/04/21 04:35 PM

I live 28 miles (34 minutes by car) from where the reported event took place and The Washington Post report is the first I have seen or heard of it. It did make the local news but otherwise it was apparently pretty much ignored. This time of year these fruitcakes attract a lot more attention around here than the ones in Dallas.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59832 11/05/21 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I live 28 miles (34 minutes by car) from where the reported event took place and The Washington Post report is the first I have seen or heard of it. It did make the local news but otherwise it was apparently pretty much ignored. This time of year these fruitcakes attract a lot more attention around here than the ones in Dallas.

When my wife's grandfather came over on the boat as a little boy with his parents, they landed in Corsicana, Texas. Who knows why? But every year around this time he would send out to his children and grandchildren a fruitcake from Corsicana to commemorate that event. I miss the fruitcakes. And oh yes, grandpa too. He and his parents soon caught a train to New York, which derailed on the way there resulting in an eventual monetary compensation to the passengers which allowed the family to begin another enterprise. But that is a story for another post. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #59833 11/05/21 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
When my wife's grandfather came over on the boat as a little boy with his parents, they landed in Corsicana, Texas. Who knows why? But every year around this time he would send out to his children and grandchildren a fruitcake from Corsicana to commemorate that event. I miss the fruitcakes. And oh yes, grandpa too. He and his parents soon caught a train to New York, which derailed on the way there resulting in an eventual monetary compensation to the passengers which allowed the family to begin another enterprise. But that is a story for another post. smirk
I may know why your wife's grandfather landed in Corsicana, Texas. Beginning while Texas was still a region of Mexico until several years after the American Civil War, Texas was land rich and money poor. Entrepreneurs such as Moses Austin and his son Stephen F. Austin would get large land grants in Texas hoping to make their fortunes by parceling them out and selling piecemeal to land hungry farmers from economically depressed regions of the United States and Europe. These promotors would sell what sounded like a huge amount of land, often a section or 640 acres, to a farmer in the old world and include passage to Texas in the price. As a result, there are towns all over the state where the bulk of the original population came from countries like Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, or Corsica (thus the city of Corsicana). When I was in high school during the early 1950s there were several towns where the lingua franca was more German, or Czechoslovakian than English or Spanish. One such town, Windthorst, is a German Catholic community where some of the residents spoke only German in the 50s. The mayor was the lone protestant in town and elected because he was the only person not related by blood or marriage to at least half of the population so he din't get caught up in family feuds. So, the odds are, your wife's grandfather got passage to Corsicana through some sort of a land promotion in his home country (perhaps Corsica?).

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59838 11/05/21 09:31 PM

This time of year these fruitcakes attract a lot more attention around here than the ones in Dallas.
I think I gained two pounds just looking at the picture.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #59848 11/06/21 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
I may know why your wife's grandfather landed in Corsicana, Texas. Beginning while Texas was still a region of Mexico until several years after the American Civil War, Texas was land rich and money poor. Entrepreneurs such as Moses Austin and his son Stephen F. Austin would get large land grants in Texas hoping to make their fortunes by parceling them out and selling piecemeal to land hungry farmers from economically depressed regions of the United States and Europe. These promotors would sell what sounded like a huge amount of land, often a section or 640 acres, to a farmer in the old world and include passage to Texas in the price. As a result, there are towns all over the state where the bulk of the original population came from countries like Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, or Corsica (thus the city of Corsicana). When I was in high school during the early 1950s there were several towns where the lingua franca was more German, or Czechoslovakian than English or Spanish. One such town, Windthorst, is a German Catholic community where some of the residents spoke only German in the 50s. The mayor was the lone protestant in town and elected because he was the only person not related by blood or marriage to at least half of the population so he din't get caught up in family feuds. So, the odds are, your wife's grandfather got passage to Corsicana through some sort of a land promotion in his home country (perhaps Corsica?).

Interesting background history I was not aware of. The grandfather's family never intended to stay in Texas; they were always New York bound, where they had other family. I suspect that they left Europe while the gettin' was good, and this destination may have been their only option at the time.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard