FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
UninstallPKG anyone?
#59719 10/25/21 06:40 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

I was looking at MacUpdate and saw a reference to UninstallPKG. It gets many 5-star ratings at MU and looks interesting. Has anyone in this forum tried it?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: UninstallPKG anyone?
jchuzi #59720 10/25/21 07:07 PM

I notice that it is certified for Mojave. Personally I would not use anything that has not been certified for Monterey. For example, I have two uninstall apps that will not touch anything from the App Store in either Big Sur or Monterey.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #59722 10/26/21 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by jchuzi
Has anyone in this forum tried it?
I haven't tried it but may take it for a ride. I'm Mojave and have CleanApp but the publisher (Synium) has dropped CA from their list of apps and it's no longer supported. My needs are only periodic but, when I do remove something, I like to be reasonably certain there's no flotsam and jetsam left behind.

Last edited by ryck; 10/26/21 01:39 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #59723 10/26/21 02:10 PM

If you haven't looked at it recently MacCleanse is reasonably priced and has had significant upgrades this year and works well. There is also an app removal tool in Marcel Bersink's TinkerTool System that is very thorough albeit a tad slow because it searches every user in the system on a file by file basis. Both are Monterey certified.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59727 10/26/21 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
There is also an app removal tool in Marcel Bersink's TinkerTool System that is very thorough albeit a tad slow because it searches every user in the system on a file by file basis.
Interesting....since I'm a registered owner of TinkerTool, I thought I'd give it a shot and, to be ironic, asked it to remove CleanApp. Part way through I got this message:

"The object “CleanApp.app” from the folder “/Applications/Utilities” could not be removed. The following problem occurred: “CleanApp” couldn’t be moved to the trash because you don’t have permission to access it.

Not all selected objects could be removed successfully."

When all was said and done, the app itself remained, so I dragged it to the Trash.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #59728 10/26/21 10:56 PM

Interesting, I don’t have an app to delete right now but the last time I deleted one With tinker tool system it requested a password and then deleted the application which is what I would expect. Are you sure you have the latest version?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59729 10/27/21 10:21 AM

I'm gonna be a stick in the mud and ask if you guys run Find Any File or EasyFind to see if anything's left behind after you've run an app removal tool?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #59730 10/27/21 10:28 AM

I'll see your stick in the mud and raise you one: I've never run an app removal tool. I delete the app, find out how the preference files are named, then run EasyFind and/or Spotlight to find any other files to delete. Not very techie, I know, but works for me.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #59731 10/27/21 10:51 AM

I simply run FAF with the name of the app and trash everything that comes up, and then I rerun it with the name of the dev and trash whatever, if anything, is left.

I very much doubt that any tool will delete an app as thoroughly as that procedure does.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #59732 10/27/21 12:00 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

I used EF and FAF after uninstalling an antivirus program. I found that both EF and FAF were necessary because each found leftovers that the other missed. I also used File > Find in Finder but that didn't work as well as the other two.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #59733 10/27/21 02:45 PM

At the present state of Big Sur/Monterey, removing all the "findable" files may not be enough to remove some extensions because when installed they are "compiled" (my word for the process) into the sealed encrypted boot image. Those must be removed either by the unique uninstaller for that extension/app or via Terminal commands, the boot image then has to be rebuilt and the system rebooted.

I learned this through hard earned experience with SoftRAID. This and other issues can only be resolved when Apple completes work on the APIs that will allow extensions run in the user space instead of the system space and apparently that is not as easy as it sounds — at least without a serious performance hit.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59735 10/27/21 03:09 PM

Are you sure you have the latest version?
Yes V 6.99.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #59736 10/27/21 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
I'm gonna be a stick in the mud and ask if you guys run Find Any File or EasyFind to see if anything's left behind after you've run an app removal tool?
That hasn’t been my practice but I did it just now with Find Any File and the result, after about 20 secs, was “205 matched”. These include things like:

.dmg
.framework
.plist
.prefpane
.pch
.xcodeproj
.h
.CleanApp.png
Launcher.app
PDFs
Core and Core Helper
Unix Executable
Logging Service
CleanAppCorePP

I haven't taken any action yet in case there's a: "Don't that...it'll be connected to something else that needs it."

Last edited by ryck; 10/27/21 03:30 PM.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #59737 10/27/21 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
Are you sure you have the latest version?
Yes V 6.99.
The current version is 7.7 and is available here

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/27/21 03:42 PM. Reason: add url

— Albert Einstein
ryck #59738 10/27/21 03:55 PM

That hasn’t been my practice but I did it just now with Find Any File and the result, after about 20 secs, was “205 matched”. These include things like:

.dmg
.framework
.plist
.prefpane
.pch
.xcodeproj
.h
.CleanApp.png
Launcher.app
PDFs
Core and Core Helper
Unix Executable
Logging Service
CleanAppCorePP

I haven't taken any action yet in case there's a: "Don't that...it'll be connected to something else that needs it."

One technique that may help is checking the last opened date (Find Any File reports that). If it has been a long time since the file was opened it is likely a relic or part of an app that you do not use and therefore unlikely to be missed.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59739 10/27/21 08:02 PM

TALK ABOUT AN OOPS! blush blush blush

Because of this thread I launched Koingo's MacCleanse 9 to check some facts and performance and was presented with a notification MacCleanse 10.0.1 was available for download and installation so I initiated the update. MacCleanse is a drag and drop install and everything was straight-forward until the newly downloaded app launched and promptly notified MacCleanse 10.0.1 was available for download and About MacCleanse revealedI was still running version 9. I won't bore everyone with all the iterations I went through attempting to remove all possible traces of MacCleanse 9 from system before I realized the MacCleanse 10.0.1 download package contains MacCleanse 9. I submitted a trouble report.

I am not sure who should be more embarrassed: me for not immediately recognizing the error on Koingo's part or Koingo for their error, but since Koingo's error effects a lot more people than mine I think they are the ones who should blush the most.

FOOTNOTE:

TinkerTool System asked for an administrative password and removed all trace of MacCleanse 9 according to Find Any File and EasyFind could detect.

— Albert Einstein
ryck #59740 10/28/21 08:01 AM

.dmg
.framework
.plist
.prefpane
.pch
.xcodeproj
.h
.CleanApp.png
Launcher.app
PDFs
Core and Core Helper
Unix Executable
Logging Service
CleanAppCorePP

When you ran FAF, did you hide package contents? Your results lead me to suspect that you may not have done so, and that will invariably display results for which you're not really looking because they're part of a data "subset."

Also, did you run FAF in "root mode?" <Find Any File - Support>

joemikeb #59741 10/28/21 08:14 AM

TinkerTool System asked for an administrative password and removed all trace of MacCleanse 9 according to Find Any File and EasyFind could detect.
Originally Posted by jchuzi
I used EF and FAF after uninstalling an antivirus program. I found that both EF and FAF were necessary because each found leftovers that the other missed. I also used File > Find in Finder but that didn't work as well as the other two.
Not that it would necessarily have made a difference, but just to make sure that we're all on the same page, did you guys run FAF in "root mode?"

artie505 #59742 10/28/21 01:21 PM

When you ran FAF, did you hide package contents?

Also, did you run FAF in "root mode?
No and no.

So, does that mean I should not remove those items because they are "part of a data subset"?

Last edited by ryck; 10/28/21 01:21 PM.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #59744 10/29/21 08:50 AM

The number and assortment of your 205 found items suggests to me that the contents of the entire app, which do not have to be addressed on a file by file basis, may be included, so let's try to get on the same page.

Run this search and see what your results are.

Then hit "Hide Package Contents" and see what happens. If I'm guessing correctly, your number of found items will decrease SUBSTANTIALLY, because many of them will collapse into the .dmg.

Note: Hit "option" when you hit "Find," and "Find" will change to "Find All," meaning that you're searching as root user. (You may have to authenticate.)

artie505 #59746 10/29/21 03:38 PM

Run this search and see what your results are.

Then hit "Hide Package Contents" and see what happens.

Note: Hit "option" when you hit "Find," and "Find" will change to "Find All," meaning that you're searching as root user.
I did one search with Package Contents "shown", and the count went up slightly to “210 Matched” with added items, not previously found, including:

.xcscheme
CleanAppDaemon.app
com.syniumsoftware.CleanAppDaemon.plist (3 occasions)

I then changed Package Contents to “are not shown” and the result was 28 matched (186 filtered out). the .xcscheme was not in this list.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #59748 10/29/21 04:18 PM

As I suspected it would, most of your laundry list collapsed into (presumably) the .dmg. The new items may have resulted from your running the search as root.

Presumably, you can trash the remaining 28 items, but you may want to post a screenshot of the list for seconding.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard