Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Garbage at top of the ipad home screen
#59743 10/29/21 03:48 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Just upgraded to 15 on ipad.

Now top home screen is 4-5 items. How get rid of these thanks!

Re: Garbage at top of the ipad home screen
kevs #59749 10/29/21 05:04 PM

Those are called "Widgets" and are very powerful and useful. Press and hold until they begin to shake, and a minus sign appears. Then touch the minus sign. To add them back or modify them press and hold anywhere on the desktop until a plus sign appears at the top left of the desktop then touch the plus sign.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59752 10/29/21 06:08 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, thanks, never use them, what are examples that you use them?

Is there a way to make them not appear again on desktop for future upgrades?

kevs #59753 10/29/21 07:49 PM

This is the Home Screen on my iPad and this is the Home Screen on my iPhone. As you can see I use Widgets to display information I want available to me at a glance. What you cannot see in this screenshot is some of those Widgets are stacked with other Widgets containing related information from the same or other apps for ready access with a flick of my finger. As to how you keep them off of your iPhone and/or iPad there are two ways I can think of:
  1. Since widgets are built into the apps delete all apps that have widgets from your device including App Store, Calendar, Clock, Contacts, Files, Find My, Fitness, Mail, Maps, Music, News, Notes, Photos, Reminders, Siri, TV, Stocks, and Weather.
  2. Switch to an Android or Microsoft device (although they probably have some form of widgets of their own)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59754 10/30/21 02:17 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joes, thanks, everything is cool. I'll stay with Apple, (as been since '98 or so)

But this is first time ever these widgets come onto screen after a upgrade. So know I know how to remove them. But there is is no way to not have them come onto after future upgrades I take it...

kevs #59758 10/30/21 01:11 PM

The reason Widgets never appeared after previous upgrades is because they did nit exist until iOS/PadOS 15. We have become accustomed to iOS features appearing in macOS, but Widgets have been in macOS for years in one form or another and have just now appeared in iOS/iPadOS.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59763 10/31/21 07:16 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe that would make sense! You love them, but I'll ask anyway if there was to not have them appear on screen after future upgrades let me know.. But I now how to nuke them now at least.

kevs #59766 10/31/21 11:35 PM

Apple considers widgets to be a major new feature for the iPhone, iPad, and Mac and will continue to push their use and the number of Widgets as well as the number of apps containing widgets are sure to grow. As widgets are built into the apps the only guaranteed way to prevent their re-appearance would appear to be deleting any app that has a widget. As I mentioned previously, those include the following Apple apps: App Store, Calendar, Clock, Contacts, Files, Find My, Fitness, Game Center, Mail, Maps, Music, News, Notes, Photos, Reminders, Shortcuts, Siri Suggestions, Stocks, TV, and Weather in addition to a number of third party apps. Unfortunately many (most?) of those Apple Apps cannot be deleted as they provide essential functions throughout the device as well as to other apps.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59767 11/01/21 01:27 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks JOe, what saying is don't know why they are forcing widgets, and randomly, I guess, onto the screen after a upgrade, and maybe way not have that happen? ie Maybe we can get vote/ choice on that?

Though only take a minute to delete widgets, ,would be nice not to have them there... not even sure how they determine which ones are forced onto the homescreen.

kevs #59776 11/01/21 03:47 PM

The appearance of Widgets on the Home Screen is Apple's way of promoting what they consider a major new feature in iOS and iPadOS. I would guess the ones chosen for display on installation were carefully curated by Apple to show off particular features and options available in widgets. Widgets in general have been favorably received by the public and the press and while they are not a killer app they are a strong positive influencer. Widgets will almost certainly continue to be developed by Apple and third party developers, but whether or not they will be automatically added to the Home Screen after future upgrades or updates only Apple knows but that decision probably hasn't been made yet.

As I mentioned, the current iteration of Widgets originated in macOS 11 and made their way from there into iOS and iPadOS 15. You can find them in macOS 11 or 12 by clicking on the date/time at the far right end of the menu bar. In macOS that will bring up both Notifications and Widgets. As in iOS/iPadOS new widgets can be turned on or configured by clicking the plus sign at the bottom of the list. You will find most of the Apple Widgets in MacOS are duplicates of Widgets in iOS and iPadOS.

The vote that will have the most influence on Apple is the one you make with your pocketbook when you purchase another brand.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard