for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: State to 'spy' on every email and internet sea
jchuzi #5982 11/20/09 12:34 PM

Thanks for the link...read it...aargh!!!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Bensheim #5983 11/20/09 01:01 PM

> Manicure them to death?

When they began confiscating tweezers after the WTC went down my daughter's comment was "What can you do with tweezers? Annoy somebody to death?"

> A tiny almost microscopic screwdriver [....]

Re that and ryck's "plastic knife, provided with his airline meal..."

From JetBlue's "Permitted Carry-on Items" page:

Quote:
Personal Items Permitted in Carry-on Bags
Cigar Cutters
Corkscrews
Curling irons (butane curling irons are accepted provided the butane cannot be removed)
Cuticle Cutters
Dry ice (no more than 4.4 pounds is allowed in carry-on baggage)
Eyeglass Repair Tools (including screwdrivers)
Eyelash Curlers
Hair Curlers (Curlers containing hydrocarbon gas are accepted at one set per person provided the safety cover is securely fitted over the heating element.
Gas refills for such curlers are not permitted in checked or carry-on baggage.)
Knives, only round-bladed butter or plastic
Nail Clippers
Nail Files
Needles (knitting, crochet and needlepoint)
Safety Matches (1 book)
Safety Razors (including disposable razors)
Scissors - plastic or metal with blunt tips
Toiletries with aerosols, in limited quantities (hairspray,deodorant, etc.)
Tools (seven inches or less in length including but not limited to wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers)
Toy Transformer Robots
Toy Weapons
Tweezers
Umbrellas
Walking Canes
(Emphasis added)

Toy weapons, knitting needles, matches, safety razors (Aren't those the ones with the removable blades?)... For crying out loud!

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Bensheim #5984 11/20/09 01:07 PM

> At my home airport you have to take your shoes off before going through security X-rays. No matter how many times you change planes en route, you do not have to take your shoes off after that either outbound or homebound.

At my home airport despite obediently putting a few "liquids" in a transparent bag and waving them at security and having them scanned separately, then they hold me up by analysing the contents. No matter how many times you change planes en route, you do not have your liquids analysed after that either outbound or homebound.

I'd guess that's because you're limited to secure areas between flights, so you're (theoretically, anyhow) unable to change what's already been inspected.

artie505 #5989 11/20/09 08:01 PM
OP Offline

Nice theory Artie, but as I said these only apply when I start an outbound journey from my home airport. No one AFAIK suffers these homebound.

For instance in the last few months I've flown from here to Madrid, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Strasburg and Zurich. Returning from these airports, at the first point of security air-side, zero shoes-off and liquids-analysed. It's only here that they do this and every time too.

Why? Because the Brits rigorously enforce all EU codes and legislation To.The.Letter. The Europeans, being more enlightened, have more laissez-faire, joie de vivre and Gemütlichkeit i.e., common sense. IMO.

Bensheim #5993 11/20/09 11:30 PM

> Nice theory Artie, but as I said these only apply when I start an outbound journey from my home airport. No one AFAIK suffers these homebound.

Aaah! Sorry for misreading; thanks for the clarification.

(But if both your outbound and return trips originate in the UK you have to go through the whole insane routine twice, right?)

artie505 #6996 12/26/09 09:38 AM

> It's a darn good thing that what's'isname hid that bomb in his shoe and not in his jockstrap!

Now we're in for it!
Quote:
A passenger on a Detroit-bound Northwest Airlines flight tried Friday to detonate an explosive device strapped to his leg [....] The Department of Homeland Security said airline passengers should expect to see additional screening measures on both domestic and international flights. (Here)

artie505 #6998 12/26/09 12:25 PM

The latest reports seem to indicate that he's just another nut-job with "aspirations" to Al Queda.
Now we'll likely have to have our colostomy bags examined in pre-flight security. Won't that be fun?

That must be wonderful; I have no idea what it means.
— Molière
grelber #7005 12/26/09 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Now we'll likely have to have our colostomy bags examined in pre-flight security. Won't that be fun?

I'm just waiting for a ruling there will be no carry on baggage and passengers will be required to check their clothes and shoes at the gate and wear airline provided hospital gowns and paper slippers.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #7007 12/26/09 11:29 PM

I'd welcome it ... as long as I'm seated next to a demure Playboy bunny who's looking for a solid type to settle down with.
If only ....

— Molière
grelber #7028 12/28/09 01:59 AM

Dreamer!

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #7034 12/28/09 09:32 AM

Hey, it's better than thinking about being patted down by a toothless troll who giggles a lot.
Wait! That actually might make the experience worth a laugh or two ... compared to what it's really gonna be like.
And let's not forget the upsurge in baggage pilfering which is bound to occur.
On the bright side, it's a windfall for those who enjoy having their erogenous zones fondled by strangers, even if they are deranged or syphilitic.
Here's a taste from today's New York Times: For Airline Passengers, Pat-Downs, Searches and Restroom Monitors .

grelber #7080 12/29/09 09:01 AM

I understand that "Homeland Security" has begun soliciting registered sex offenders as part of its new security effort.

An "unnamed official" was quoted as saying that "They're ideal for the situation...we know they'll do a thorough job."

Bensheim #7081 12/29/09 09:14 AM

Quote:
For instance in the last few months I've flown from here to Madrid, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Strasburg and Zurich. Returning from these airports, at the first point of security air-side, zero shoes-off and liquids-analysed. It's only here that they do this and every time too.

Why? Because the Brits rigorously enforce all EU codes and legislation To.The.Letter. The Europeans, being more enlightened, have more laissez-faire, joie de vivre and Gemütlichkeit i.e., common sense. IMO.

How would you and your "enlightened common sense" have liked to have been on that flight from Amsterdam to Detroit on Sunday?"

artie505 #7082 12/29/09 10:00 AM

The bozo's subduers were too reserved. I would like to have crushed Abdulmutallab’s larynx with my heel.
But that's just me ... mad
I guess it's time for me to go for a crunchy run in the snow at -12°C/10°F to cool my fevered mind.

— Molière
grelber #7084 12/29/09 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
The bozo's subduers were too reserved. I would like to have crushed Abdulmutallab’s larynx with my heel.
But that's just me ... mad

I'm with you there; I'd have helped you "off" him on the spot, myself.

The problem with that, though, is that we'd be considered felons for having dealt in such a manner with a mere "person of interest" who, at the moment, despite the flames erupting from his crotch (which, I suspect, will ultimately cause him major grief in dealing with his 72 virgins if he even gets any for merely trying), was no more than an "alleged terrorist."

Pluck political correctness!!! mad mad mad

> I guess it's time for me to go for a crunchy run in the snow at -12°C/10°F to cool my fevered mind.

Hmmm... I've found snow to crunch at around 18°F and squeak at around 13°F.

artie505 #7085 12/29/09 11:40 AM

If the first concern were ever a problem — most likely all the witnesses would have opined that it was just sufficient force to inactivate the nut-job — I'd have to plead that oops!, I just slipped, what with being in my security slippers and all.

As for the second, it depends on the relative humidity (very low in these here parts), so generally speaking the squeak starts here at ca -18°C/0°F. And today it was just crunchy (and slippery).

— Molière
grelber #7086 12/29/09 11:58 AM

> If the first concern were ever a problem — most likely all the witnesses would have opined that it was just sufficient force to inactivate the nut-job — I'd have to plead that I just slipped, what with being in my security slippers and all.

You're placing faaar too much faith in your witnesses agreeing with your attitude, and, anyhow, once you're busted...you're busted, and you've got to fight your way out of it, and not necessarily at small cost of either emotional and physical energy or money. (Maybe Canada is more forgiving in this respect?)

> As for the second, it depends on the relative humidity (very low in these here parts), so generally speaking the squeak starts here at ca -18°C/0°F. And today it was just crunchy (and slippery).

Thanks for the explanation; NYC is pretty humid, and so the difference.

artie505 #7087 12/29/09 12:06 PM

Then I'd have to rely on the Oops! defense. Those surgical shoe covers (booties) are quite slippery on airplane carpeting, even if they do protect against other people's germs and general filth when passing through shoeless security.

— Molière
grelber #7125 12/30/09 07:04 AM

> Those surgical shoe covers (booties) are quite slippery on airplane carpeting, even if they do protect against other people's germs and general filth when passing through shoeless security.

Canada must be more health-conscious than America; I wasn't given any booties when I flew recently (all within the US). (Or does it have to do with socialized medicine?)

More important, though, is what you can do in an airplane lavatory during the last hour of a flight that you can't do during the first or second hour? (That's a serious question, so why does it sound like a joke that should have a gag ending?)

artie505 #7127 12/30/09 08:46 AM

Hah! They don't give them (protective booties) to you; you have to bring your own.

I wonder what they're going to do when people start peeing on the floor when forced to remain in their seats. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

— Molière
grelber #7128 12/30/09 09:12 AM

Does this sound familiar? Shades of 9/11 ...
US Had Early Signals of a Terror Plot, Officials Say

artie505 #7131 12/30/09 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
... what you can do in an airplane lavatory during the last hour of a flight that you can't do during the first or second hour?

Flying about is most always safe; provided two conditions are met:
1. The aircraft has altitude
2. The aircraft has air speed

Losing either of these is perilous. Losing them both simultaneous always spells disaster.

If there is an emergency at 30,000 feet, such as an engine failure, or terrorist made problem, there is time and altitude enough for the pilot to "recover" and abort to the nearest airport. Or so we hope. But when the aircraft is on final approach, both of the above conditions are adversely affected.

Well, I suppose the FAA thinking is along those lines.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #7132 12/30/09 01:49 PM

Thanks for that, Harv; I hope against hope that the FAA is thinking in the same direction as you are, but... Your explanation sounds so much like a "no-brainer" that I've got to wonder why the line of thought wasn't pursued before something happened during that last, critical hour. confused frown

Last edited by artie505; 12/30/09 03:25 PM. Reason: Expand

grelber #7134 12/30/09 01:50 PM

> I wonder what they're going to do when people start peeing on the floor when forced to remain in their seats.

Time to resurrect air-sickness bags, I think, but for the ladies???

grelber #7141 12/30/09 03:43 PM

I thought you might get a kick from knowing that I've been using your cat, embedded in a TextEdit doc that I access with QuickLook, as my "screensaver;" I call it "The War On Terror."

Right in the middle of my screen I see your cat, striding through a grey, featureless "landscape," its eyes focused on some unseen prize, earnestly, determinedly, steadfastly, unwaveringly pursuing its goal, and getting... absolutely nowhere!

It's even more surreal in that context than it is ordinarily.

Thanks. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard