An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ipad how search a pdf, and how find apps?
#59653 10/18/21 04:57 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I was on a pdf, on ipad pro, and since takes whole screen could not find a search field, looked everywhere.

I've googled this and one article says to open with Books.

Not only is books not on my ipad 2 desktops, but I can't even figure out where the apps are.

I googled that too, and still can't find apps, though did see a video on how to search the ipad, but did not find apps.

On desktop laptop: totally intuitive how get to apps folder. Is there an apps folder on ipad? Have no idea, still stumped.

Re: Ipad how search a pdf, and how find apps?
kevs #59654 10/18/21 06:04 PM

What iPadOS version are you using? (Hint: Settings > General > about)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59656 10/18/21 06:25 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe 14.7.1
You can assume that I'm up to date or close to up to date for my 4 devices....

Sometimes, I not on very latest OS or IOS, so in those cases, I can see that it's crucial to know if big things changed.

I've had ipad for 5 years, and never explored or understood the search pdf or apps too well, so I'd guess its not a current ios issue, but couled wrong.

kevs #59658 10/18/21 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
Joe 14.7.1
You can assume that I'm up to date or close to up to date for my 4 devices....

Sometimes, I not on very latest OS or IOS, so in those cases, I can see that it's crucial to know if big things changed.
Just remember I am not the only on who reads these posts and my memory can always stand jogging. This kind of information is more and more important in both questions and responses in these days of hardware and software evolution. More and more Apple's tech notes open with a Menu of options: If you are on this computer version or this OS version click here...

Originally Posted by kevs
I've had ipad for 5 years, and never explored or understood the search pdf or apps too well, so I'd guess its not a current ios issue, but couled wrong.

BACKGROUND:

If you came to iOS/iPadOS after using a Mac, the confusion is understandable. A central FEATURE of iOS/iPadOS (WatchOS and TVOS for that matter) is THERE IS NO FILE SYSTEM. Data files, including PDFs are encapsulated within the creating app's sandbox. So, for example, if you download a PDF in Safari that PDF only exists within Safari and can only be reference/viewed/seen by Safari. Another way off looking at it would be to consider each app as a unique file system unto itself with bullet proof walls to prevent it from accessing any file in any other app and, in turn, protecting its files from being accessed by any other app including iOS/iPadOS.

The creating app, Safari in this example, can export/share the file to another app such as Mail (even then only with the receiving App's permission) or it can Save the PDF to a folder on the iCloud Drive. The iCloud Drive has the same folder and file structure we are accustomed to in macOS and once a file is saved to iCloud the iOS/iPadOS app Files can be used in much the same way as Finder in macOS.

WHERE IS YOUR PDF?

Safely ensconced within the app that created it — if it still exists. Without knowing the specific app involved I am at a loss to tell you how to navigate it.

WHY USE BOOKS?
If the PDF had been shared/printed/saved to Books...
  1. Books has the ability to read PDF files
  2. Books has it own internal file system that is perhaps easier to navigate

WHERE AE YOUR APPS?

In the App Library and on your desktop but each is a unique entity that has been carefully engineered to be invisible to and impenetrable to even other application including iOS/iPadOS.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59670 10/19/21 08:03 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, great post fascinating.

Here I have iphone/ ipad for 5 years or so and did not think of this or the way you laid it out, Great info.

In short: the ios i way less user friendly than normal finder system IMO.

Ok so there are no apps to find! Except what you see on your screen...

The PDF in question is a manual of a product I bought. It opens up well, and looks great, but I don't see a search bar. Is that unusual, or I'm missing it? And what it opening it up if you can guess? And one cannot open with other apps that might have search bar?

kevs #59671 10/20/21 01:19 AM

The search bar you are accustomed to in macOS is a function of Preview and/or Finder based on Spotlight and not one of those is present in iOS/iPadOS. However there third party apps such as PDFPen and Books which have their own in-app search function.

Why the minimalist orientation in iOS? For starters…
  • Dramatically reduced memory requirements
  • Dramatically reduced storage requirements
  • Dramatically reduced power requirements
  • Dramatically increased battery
  • Dramatically increased security
  • More appropriate to a graphical user interface

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59676 10/21/21 07:29 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe will make those notes.. bullet points. OH new idea, just though, if super important, instead using 3rd party app, could get pdf file over to the desktop and do the search right?

kevs #59677 10/21/21 10:08 PM

The "Desktop" as we know it in MacOS is a special type of folder and there are no folders in iOS/iPadOS. What is called the "Desktop" in iOS/iPadOS is actually an app with the sole purpose of providing a mechanism to find and launch the other Apps and lacks the ability to open, edit, save, or search any data file. The sole path to putting something on the iOS Desktop is to install it from the App Store.

Every app in iOS as an entity unto itself that has been rigorously designed and constructed to operate in complete isolation from every other app in the iOS universe. In fact, any app that attempts to reach out and touch data from another apps universe will be immediately removed from the App Store as a threat to security.

The easy way to do what you are attempting would be to save the data file to iCloud Drive (providing the app has that ability) then opening it from its location on the iCloud Drive with another app that provides the tools you need to access and manipulate the file using tools found in that app.

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/21/21 10:26 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59686 10/22/21 06:55 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, fascinating, will note all this.. Workarounds are way too much of a hassle, but my idea, which is also a hassle is probably best right?

And did not think of this while sitting comfortably the other day in my big chair with my ipad pro:

Just walk over to the next room and sit at the 27" imac and find the same pdf and do the search.

So I just did that finally now, and lo and behold, the search bar was right there upper right, and drills down into every part of the pdf beautifully, which confirms that still traditional OS blows away ios, IMO.

That said, everything you have written is fantastic, to know for future frustrations with IOS....

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard