FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Monterey Report Beta 10
joemikeb #59640 10/16/21 08:08 PM
OP Offline

Take my eye off the ball for a few days and Monterey is at beta 10.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: The Monterey Report Beta 10
joemikeb #59703 10/24/21 08:00 PM
OP Offline

SUMMARY

Monterey (macOS 12) is scheduled for full release tomorrow October 25, 2021. My Current status is…
  • I have no remaining incompatible apps (Rogue Amoeba just completed updating their last app and SoftRAID has a running gold master scheduled for Tuesday release)
  • Montrerey compatilble Etrecheck pro delivered an almost cleanbill of health (there are still a couple of unsigned apps but they run just fine in the Monterey gold master)
  • My system is rock solid stable and has been for days now.
  • the learning curve has been steeper than I expected, but much of that has been subsumed in subsequent betas.
  • The average user should encounter few surprises but the power user may find some additional security related changes and those who stick with or reverted to Big Sur will find they have a steeper learning curve to climb.
  • There are new features in Monterey that add significant utility for power users although it may take some rethinking to take full advantage of them.
  • One major feature, Universal Control, did not make it into macOS 12 — list it among Coming Attractions.
  • For clone fans there is no change from Big Sur nor is any change expected either by CCC or SD. (Once Apple gets moving kernel extensions into the user rather than system area that may improve but given the multi-tiered boot structure I am not about to hold my breath waiting on bootable clones as we knew them in Mac OS X).

OPINION

Monterey is a significant step in the macOS evolution and certainly the most secure version yet. The new features are well thought out, and useful, but not particularly exciting.

SHOULD YOU UPGRADE?

I would, of course, say YES. The step to the next macOS 13(?) will only get higher.

THIS THREAD HAS OUTLIVED WHATEVER USEFULNESS IT HAD, IF ANY, SO I AM GOING TO CLOSE IT AT THIS POINT. IF YOU WISH TO RECORD YOUR OWN INSTALLATION SUCCESSES OR PROBLEMS THOSE CAN GO IN THREADS OF THEIR OWN.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard