FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Big Sur Notifications
#59555 09/29/21 09:10 PM
OP Online

I finally decided to give Big Sur a second chance, and after finding out that my primary objection to it - Music's not responding to keyboard commands - has been corrected, I got into configuring it.

I don't know what I did or how I did it, but as a result of my "configuring" Notifications, my menu bar clock/Notifications icon is greyed out, I'm unable to configure date and time in my menu bar clock, and notifications of new emails and messages, which should appear on my screen, aren't appearing.

Also, I'd like to minimize the menu bar clock/Notifications icon to the way it appeared in Catalina. (I have a vague recollection of having been able to do it the first time I installed BS.)

Heeelp!

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Big Sur Notifications
artie505 #59556 09/29/21 10:39 PM

Is there anything in System Preferences > Notifications that could be changed? For example, you might turn off Do Not Disturb (just a thought).

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #59557 09/29/21 10:59 PM
OP Online

Thanks, Jon, but nothing that I see.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #59558 09/29/21 11:14 PM

I can't replicate what you describe on my Big Sur Mac mini, but when System Preferences > Dock & Menu Bar > Show the day of the week and Show date are turned off and Time options is set to analog, the clock display appears so light it almost as if it were greyed out and if I click on the click icon and there are no notifications, the words "no recent notifications" appear but are almost invisible against the background of the desktop picture. The only reason I even noticed it was the "Edit widgets" button that appears further down the screen and is easy to overlook. 🤷‍♂️

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #59559 09/30/21 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by artie505
I finally decided to give Big Sur a second chance, and after finding out that my primary objection to it - Music's not responding to keyboard commands - has been corrected, I got into configuring it.

Had you waited a few weeks you could have skipped Big Sur altogether. I just installed Monterey beta 8 so the gold-master is unlikely to be far behind. All the other Apple OS variants are already on the x.1 beta 2 release and macOS won't be allowed to stay that far out or sequence. For what it is worth, all of the stability issues I had encountered in previous betas, disappeared in beta 7 and as far as I can tell beta 8 is mostly some rare esoteric bug fixes.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59560 09/30/21 10:22 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I can't replicate what you describe on my Big Sur Mac mini, but when System Preferences > Dock & Menu Bar > Show the day of the week and Show date are turned off and Time options is set to analog, the clock display appears so light it almost as if it were greyed out and if I click on the click icon and there are no notifications, the words "no recent notifications" appear but are almost invisible against the background of the desktop picture. The only reason I even noticed it was the "Edit widgets" button that appears further down the screen and is easy to overlook. 🤷‍♂️
Thanks the directions. In fact, the clock is what I had in my menu bar the first time I upgraded, not the Catalina icon as I thought. The "To set time and date formats...." blurb and link in System Prefs > Date & Time > Date & Time confused me, probably for the second time, and while it's helpful in some circumstances, the pane should also link to the location to which you directed me. I've got no idea how I found it the first time, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that you directed me to it.

My digital time and date display is indeed greyed out, lighter even than my clock, but if I'm missing any functionality, I haven't noticed it...unless...

I see the same almost invisible "no recent notifications" you see., but my notifications don't appear in the upper right hand corner of my screen as they did the first time I upgraded. Have you got any idea why?

joemikeb #59561 09/30/21 10:35 AM
OP Online

Had you waited a few weeks you could have skipped Big Sur altogether. I just installed Monterey beta 8 so the gold-master is unlikely to be far behind. All the other Apple OS variants are already on the x.1 beta 2 release and macOS won't be allowed to stay that far out or sequence. For what it is worth, all of the stability issues I had encountered in previous betas, disappeared in beta 7 and as far as I can tell beta 8 is mostly some rare esoteric bug fixes.
Even though Monterey is more or less imminent, I decided that I'd be more comfortable dealing with the upgrade one step at a time.

artie505 #59562 09/30/21 02:09 PM

...but my notifications don't appear in the upper right hand corner of my screen as they did the first time I upgraded. Have you got any idea why?

I have no immediate idea why so I have questions instead of answers:
  1. Do you mean the notifications don't appear at all or appear but in a different location?
  2. If they are appearing in a different location, where is that location? (screenshot?)
  3. Are these banners or alerts or both?
  4. If these are from a specific app look at the Notification grouping settings that app in System Preferences > Notifications?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59563 09/30/21 08:31 PM
OP Online

...but my notifications don't appear in the upper right hand corner of my screen as they did the first time I upgraded. Have you got any idea why?

I have no immediate idea why so I have questions instead of answers:
  1. Do you mean the notifications don't appear at all or appear but in a different location?
  2. If they are appearing in a different location, where is that location? (screenshot?)
  3. Are these banners or alerts or both?
  4. If these are from a specific app look at the Notification grouping settings that app in System Preferences > Notifications?
This is about Mail and Messages alerts.

My Notification settings for both look like this, but whereas the alerts were automatically visible in the upper right hand corner of my screen the first time I upgraded, I now see only what appears when I click on the clock. The settings for both apps are the same, and checking "Show in Notification Center" doesn't change anything.

The ironic thing is the first time I upgraded, the alerts appeared as expected, but my Automator workflow to close them with a key command didn't, and this time around, the workflow runs, but the alerts don't appear. (I reinstalled Big Sur, and the digital clock is no longer greyed out.)

Last edited by artie505; 09/30/21 08:39 PM. Reason: More

artie505 #59564 09/30/21 11:38 PM

On my Big Sur System (and my Monterey system as well)…
  • the banners and alerts appear at the upper right corner of the screen automatically when they are raised by an app. Alerts remain up until they are dismissed while banners disappear of a brief period of time as advertised.
  • when I boot up there are often large numbers of banners (and alerts? 🤷‍♂️) that were previously raised but time out rather than being dismissed organized in stacks and either the stack has to be dismissed by clicking on the x at the upper left corner of the first time in the stack, or by opening the stack and individually dismissing each item in the stack, or in some cases opening the options menu attached to the item and choosing an option.
  • When I click on the clock I get exactly what you are getting except in Monterey it also opens widgets I have selected. (Not only are there a lot more widgets available in Monterey but widgets can be stacked. Very much along the lines of iOS/iPadOS 14 and 15.)

I don't know if that clarifies or muddies the water. confused

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59565 10/01/21 12:07 AM
OP Online

On my Big Sur System (and my Monterey system as well)… the banners and alerts appear at the upper right corner of the screen automatically when they are raised by an app. Alerts remain up until they are dismissed while banners disappear of a brief period of time as advertised.
That's what I'm looking for...precisely what I experienced in Catalina and the first time I upgraded to Big Sur but am not experiencing this time around. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I click on the clock I get exactly what you are getting except in Monterey it also opens widgets I have selected.
It would open widgets in Big Sur too, but I've deleted all of them.

I've got one remaining Catalina installation. Maybe I'll upgrade it to see if I get lucky. I'd try a clean install, but it would cost me an important extension that an upgrade perpetuates.

artie505 #59566 10/01/21 01:36 AM
OP Online

On the other hand, though, unless I'm mistaken, I'll lose that extension - NoSleep, which prevents my MBP from sleeping when the lid is shut - in Monterrey under any circumstances, so maybe a clean install isn't such a bad idea.

(Aside: I just realized that I'll probably lose XtraFinder too.)

frown

artie505 #59569 10/01/21 06:12 PM

I still say, "Why not wait a week or two and skip Big Sur altogether?" Based on over forty years of experience as a technical trainer in the USAF and industry, and almost that many years as a part-time university lecturer at the graduate level, I have seen it proven many times over that un-learning out of date or changed processes takes eight times longer than learning the process in the first place. Whether you go to Big Sir or direct to Monterey there will be a learning curve so why not one learning curve instead of two? The curve won't be any steeper and you avoid at least one un-learning set.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59577 10/02/21 11:07 AM
OP Online

I still say, "Why not wait a week or two and skip Big Sur altogether?" Based on over forty years of experience as a technical trainer in the USAF and industry, and almost that many years as a part-time university lecturer at the graduate level, I have seen it proven many times over that un-learning out of date or changed processes takes eight times longer than learning the process in the first place. Whether you go to Big Sir or direct to Monterey there will be a learning curve so why not one learning curve instead of two? The curve won't be any steeper and you avoid at least one un-learning set.
Well...
  • The Music bug I thought was gone is still bugging me, although to a lesser degree than before...not sure if Music's improved or I've gotten a handle on it.
  • I've run into a new bug in Music, wherein songs' "Last Played" dates show correctly in their Get Info panes but show the date I first upgraded on my screen, and that date remains the same even after subsequent plays.
  • I've just run into a really weird bug in Excel, wherein dates that have always displayed as I've entered them now inexplicably change from my entries to something else, i.e. 9/30 -> 9/1, 10/1-> 1/10, 10/15-> 10/1. As I said, really weird!
  • The red artifacts in QuickLook panes bug I reported months ago hasn't been corrected.
  • And, of course, there's the Notifications but with which I began this thread.

And I've already pretty much got a handle on the Catalina to Big Sur learning curve.
And since I wisely saved a clone of my Catalina installation.
It's back to Catalina!
But I'm now gun shy about what Monterey may bring.
I don't understand why these bugs have persisted through so many Big sur updates. confused

artie505 #59581 10/02/21 12:14 PM
OP Online

Back home again in Indiana! smile laugh

artie505 #59585 10/02/21 02:17 PM

I've just run into a really weird bug in Excel, wherein dates that have always displayed as I've entered them now inexplicably change from my entries to something else, i.e. 9/30 -> 9/1, 10/1-> 1/10, 10/15-> 10/1.

Although Apple's applications are now released with macOS they are still separate products each with their own release cycle and individually updated via the App Store, but that is not be true with Excel. Excel is a Microsloth product and Apple is not responsible for correcting Microsoft coding errors or maintaining compatibility with Microsoft applications. Are you sure you are using a version of Excel that is compatible with Big Sur?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59587 10/02/21 05:10 PM
OP Online

On the mark! My Office 2016 is not compatible with Big Sur. frown

Funny (Sad?) that I realized instinctively that macOS shouldn't affect Excel's functionality but never thought of incompatibility.

I'll either have to upgrade or switch to Numbers, with which I wasn't terribly pleased when I tried it years ago, but which, considering the very limited and simple use to which I put Excel, may be my go-to this time around unless I can get a heck of a good deal on Office 2019.

artie505 #59589 10/02/21 06:04 PM

I don't know if this interests you, but One-time purchase Microsoft Office 2021 coming to Mac on Oct. 5 I subscribe to Office 365 and it is definitely compatible with Big Sur. Yes, having to pay a subscription fee rankles, but it comes out to very little on a monthly basis so I held my nose and did it. In truth, the only Office app that I use is Word.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #59590 10/02/21 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by jchuzi
As a person wondering if I'd have to go 'subscription' in future to accommodate OS upgrades, this is definitely of interest to me. I just use Excel and Word, and probably only about 10% of the features, so subscription was not appealing. I see that a CNet announcement included this information:

"They will also ship both 32- and 64-bit versions, according to the post. Microsoft will support the software for five years, and said it does not plan to change the price at the time of release"

The post CNet refers to is a company blog.

Edit: In fairness, I decided to give Numbers another 'kick at the can', given I haven't looked at it for a very long time.....and maybe there have been changes to make it more 'Excel-like'. I have done an import of a complicated file (as in, many worksheets) and the import was both fast and smooth. A quick peek suggests there have been improvements.....but I need to spend a bit of time with it.

Last edited by ryck; 10/02/21 06:53 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #59591 10/02/21 06:57 PM
OP Online

Thanks, Jon, but no interest.

Per AppleInsider: Customers can buy the Home or Student variants of Office 2021 for a one-time purchase $149.99.

Considering my very limited Excel use, that's a deal breaker. I can probably get Office 2019 for half that much, but I think I'm gonna d/l Numbers and see if I can get Microsoft out of my life after all these years.

I haven't needed a word processor in many years, but if I ever need one I'll see if no-longer-under-development-but-with-maintained-compatibility Bean (freeware) still works.

artie505 #59593 10/02/21 10:49 PM

Considering my very limited Excel use, that's a deal breaker. I can probably get Office 2019 for half that much, but I think I'm gonna d/l Numbers and see if I can get Microsoft out of my life after all these years.

I haven't needed a word processor in many years, but if I ever need one I'll see if no-longer-under-development-but-with-maintained-compatibility Bean (freeware) still works.

I realized a few months ago that although I have a rich selection of Word Processors including NeoOffice (an Office work alike), Mellel, and Scrivener that I almost invariably open BBEdit for true text and markdown documents, and Pages when I want to produce pretty documents. Pages is the surprise because I have so often criticized it in the past, but it has evolved into a decent relatively full featured and surprisingly intuitive to use word processor. And like Numbers, the price is right!

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59596 10/03/21 09:13 AM
OP Online

I realized a few months ago that although I have a rich selection of Word Processors including NeoOffice (an Office work alike), Mellel, and Scrivener that I almost invariably open BBEdit for true text and markdown documents, and Pages when I want to produce pretty documents. Pages is the surprise because I have so often criticized it in the past, but it has evolved into a decent relatively full featured and surprisingly intuitive to use word processor. And like Numbers, the price is right!
I haven't needed a word processor - haven't written anything at all, actually - in so many years that it's pretty much an afterthought. Should I need one, I'll start with Bean, simply because I'm already familiar with it.

I installed Numbers and opened up my most "complicated" doc, and I was totally unhappy with its appearance and what I found to be lack of intuitiveness.

On the other hand, though, I realized that the Excel bug I ran into in Big Sur can be overcome so easily that as long as I don't run into something with which I'm unable to deal I don't need an alternative. (E.g. 9/30 -> 9/1, but `9/30 -> 9/30 [Is that character called a "carat?"])

artie505 #59597 10/03/21 03:45 PM

[Is that character called a "carat?"])
Although the Oxford American Dictionary defines a caret "...as a mark (‸, ⁁) placed below the line to indicate a proposed insertion in a printed or written text", on the American English keyboard it is the upper case 6 or ^ that is called a caret. The > character is most often referred to as the "greater than" symbol or if you are not math-oriented the right arrow Key.

Your problem in Excel is it IS math oriented and is taking 9/30 in a different context than you intended. I just experimented in Numbers and depending on the (cell format) entering 9/30 yields 30% (percentage), 3/10 (fraction), 3E-01 (scientific), and 0.3 (formula). FWIW NeoOffice Professional Edition yielded similar results. I am not sure what format caused Excel to transform 9/30 -> 9/1 but that has to be it.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #59599 10/03/21 09:41 PM

[I installed Numbers and opened up my most "complicated" doc, and I was totally unhappy with its appearance and what I found to be lack of intuitiveness.
I did the same and, while everything first appeared to be almost the way it was in Excel, I soon found two show-stoppers:

1. In Excel I can choose to clear a cell by clearing All, or just Contents, or just Formatting, or just Comments. In Numbers, the only option is clear All.

2. In Numbers I can't split the document into panes with separate scrolling for each. That's an issue with very long spreadsheets where I want the top pane to be just the column titles.

Last edited by ryck; 10/03/21 09:42 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #59600 10/03/21 11:00 PM

It would be foolish to contend Numbers is as powerful as Excel, it isn't, and I am not pushing Numbers but it you haven't looked at it recently — ie. Numbers version 11.2 (7032.0.145) — it is a moving target and more than adequate for most people. It also has a number of new and enhanced spreadsheet function as well as a growing number of macOS/iPadOS/iOS unique integrations. (It is the Apple OS integrations that lead me to use it more and more often for more and more tasks.)
  • Importing Photos, documents, and sketches from iPhone or iPad.
  • Pivot Tables
  • Radar Charts
  • Improved Filters
  • Flexible collaboration allows participants to add others to a shared spreadsheet.
  • Instant translation lets you translate selected text in up to 11 languages and add the translation to your spreadsheet with a click.
  • Create new spreadsheets from the app icon in the Dock.
  • Link to web pages, email addresses, and phone numbers from objects such as shapes, lines, images, drawings, or text boxes.
  • Updated media browser offers enhanced search options and new content categories such as Recents, Portraits, and Live Photos.
  • Add phone number links to table cells, text objects, and shapes.
  • Use AppleScript to change a spreadsheet password or open password-protected spreadsheets.

CONFESSION: I lifted those from the "What's New" section of Numbers > Help on Monterey.

Originally Posted by ryck
[I installed Numbers and opened up my most "complicated" doc, and I was totally unhappy with its appearance and what I found to be lack of intuitiveness.
I did the same and, while everything first appeared to be almost the way it was in Excel, I soon found two show-stoppers:

1. In Excel I can choose to clear a cell by clearing All, or just Contents, or just Formatting, or just Comments. In Numbers, the only option is clear All.
Not quite true although Excel does offer more options:
Originally Posted by Numbers Help
Select the range of cells you want to clear.

Do one of the following:

Remove the content but preserve the cells’ data format, text style, and cell style: Press Delete.

Remove all data, formatting, and styling: Choose Edit > Clear All (from the Edit menu at the top of your screen).

Originally Posted by ryck
2. In Numbers I can't split the document into panes with separate scrolling for each. That's an issue with very long spreadsheets where I want the top pane to be just the column titles.

How is that different from simply Freezing the header row(s) and or column(s)?

BY-THE-WAY: the Open Source OpenOffice, its derivative LibreOffice and its derivative NeoOffice spreadsheets will do anything Microsoft Office, including Excel will including VBA apps and are free or very low cost.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59618 10/09/21 11:41 AM
OP Online

[Is that character called a "carat?"])
Although the Oxford American Dictionary defines a caret "...as a mark (‸, ⁁) placed below the line to indicate a proposed insertion in a printed or written text", on the American English keyboard it is the upper case 6 or ^ that is called a caret. The > character is most often referred to as the "greater than" symbol or if you are not math-oriented the right arrow Key.
The character under the tilde is a backquote. <What is a Back Quote?> (My daughter says she gets the same override results in Excel from an apostrophe.)

Your problem in Excel is it IS math oriented and is taking 9/30 in a different context than you intended. I just experimented in Numbers and depending on the (cell format) entering 9/30 yields 30% (percentage), 3/10 (fraction), 3E-01 (scientific), and 0.3 (formula). FWIW NeoOffice Professional Edition yielded similar results. I am not sure what format caused Excel to transform 9/30 -> 9/1 but that has to be it.
Excel has got many different date format options, and I tried all the applicable ones in Big Sur with the same 9/30 -> 9/1 results.

But here's what I think is the odd thing: In the same column of dates, all with the same formatting option, all dates entered with several versions of Excel prior to Big Sur render as expected; it's only new entries in the column that do the 9/30 -> 9/1 trick. And... if I delete and reenter an existing entry, the new entry does the same trick.

So, the problem seems to be that Excel's coding is somehow incompatible with Big Sur in this particular respect.

As I said, though, the backquote solves my incompatibility problem...as long as the one I've run into is my only one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard