An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New laptop, have give password to restart?
#59391 08/31/21 06:23 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Here new one: I got new Macbook Air, M1 chip.
First first time ever, sometimes, I restart and I get black grey screen asking for computer password. Then goes away new nuisance.

Just double checked and don't have any log in options for that, and have auto log in as I've always had.
Also nothing in security/ privacy I see causing this. Did I miss something, what going on?

Don't have this issue, on my 5 years old imac desktop, only the new laptop: yet both are on on same OS: 11.5.2 Thanks

Re: New laptop, have give password to restart?
kevs #59392 08/31/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
Here new one: I got new Macbook Air, M1 chip.
First first time ever, sometimes, I restart and I get black grey screen asking for computer password. Then goes away new nuisance.

Just double checked and don't have any log in options for that, and have auto log in as I've always had.
Also nothing in security/ privacy I see causing this. Did I miss something, what going on?

Don't have this issue, on my 5 years old imac desktop, only the new laptop: yet both are on on same OS: 11.5.2 Thanks

I know you said you checked security and privacy settings, but triple-check the setting in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General for Require Password ln your new M1 laptop.

NOTE: While you have the same macOS version on your Macs, and while they are substantially the same, some things work differently on Apple silicon than they do on Intel.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59393 08/31/21 07:56 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, ok triple check, yes unchecked. I use that when leave house with laptop but is it unchecked.

Hence is weird? Do reboot and a screen comes up asking for password... and on top of that. It took a few rounds of entering password to get my desktop up.

kevs #59394 08/31/21 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by keys
Thanks Joe, ok triple check, yes unchecked. I use that when leave house with laptop but is it unchecked.

Hence is weird? Do reboot and a screen comes up asking for password... and on top of that. It took a few rounds of entering password to get my desktop up.

Four questions:
  1. By any chance have you turned FileVault on?
  2. When you say "It took a few rounds of entering password to get my desktop up" did you mean you had to enter your password multiple times before it was recognized?
  3. When you say "First first time ever, sometimes, I restart and I get black grey screen asking for computer password" how often does this actually happen?
  4. When you shut down are you actually powering off by pressing and holding the power button or selecting Shut Down… on the Apple Menu or just closing the lid?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59395 08/31/21 08:51 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, you pushed me to do more testing, and I solved, it albeit one final question:

Turns out a keyboard shortcut I use for years to restart: command, control, eject... with new laptop, where the eject button usually is, upper right button, on laptop, it's unmarked, and when do command, control, whatever that button is.. instead of restarting, it bring up a screen asking for password.

What is that button? And I guess ol command, control, eject doing a straight normal restart is not available.

kevs #59403 09/01/21 06:38 PM

What is that button? And I guess ol command, control, eject doing a straight normal restart is not available.
Obviously there is no eject button on your new MBP as there is nothing to eject! The eject button has ben replaced with a combination On/Off Power switch and biometric touch ID button. (See these instructions for use.) One other thing you need to be aware of is the trackpad on your new MBP has force touch which adds an additional range of gestures.

If you want to replace your ⌘∧⏏︎ restart key sequence, there are tools such as Keyboard Maestro that will enable you to create another three key combination or even a touch bar key that will replicate the former shortcut.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59404 09/01/21 07:05 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, thanks I'm so out of the loop, I don't use any touch gestures. I do have KM.. no energy to program with it as so non - intuitive. (though great software run by great guy).. But KM.. every-time I use have relearn how do it!

So just blow off for now.. maybe later..., the shortcut for now, and use mouse to restart. But pity, they could have kept it control, command with the power button, (where eject was) right?

kevs #59405 09/01/21 07:20 PM

Joe, thanks I'm so out of the loop, I don't use any touch gestures. I do have KM.. no energy to program with it as so non - intuitive. (though great software run by great guy).. But KM.. every-time I use have relearn how do it!

So just blow off for now.. maybe later..., the shortcut for now, and use mouse to restart. But pity, they could have kept it control, command with the power button, (where eject was) right?
I now what you mean about Keyboard Maestro! As to using the power button remember that it is now used for biometric ID as well and that I believe is the game changer. Of course you can always power down by simply touching and holding the single power/biometric ID key for a few seconds rendering the Command and control keys completely superfluous in shutting down.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59406 09/01/21 07:41 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

JOe ok , so it just a normal power up and down button? Previous laptop had that too correct, maybe just not in upper right. So that the same function always, just wont partake in a restart.

kevs #59407 09/01/21 10:43 PM

There are multiple actions you initiate do with the power button either starting or shutting down M1 Macs depending how long you hold it pressed. You have to hold it pressed for several seconds to effect a power down action, a click or short hold can initiate a reboot. If you continue to hold after the startup chime when powering up you will see a message on the screen "Continue holding for startup options" followed by "Loading startup options" and that is how you do an option boot or get to the Recovery Assistant. Holding keys on the keyboard during boot up does not work on M1 Macs.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59409 09/02/21 12:59 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, thanks I'll probably then just use mouse to restart and shut down.

But the option hold down while rebooting or shift, I don't know by heart, does not do the select volume trick as on imac?

BTW Joe: I've known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. Mark Twain

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard