FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iphone / message glitch
#59373 08/27/21 11:47 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

This is, another new nuisance, is hard to explain, but try.

If you have a company lets say, Johns Plumbing and have four names and phone numbers in that card in your contacts. No matter what you do, if send a new text to any of the four, or all of the four people; that text will never get it's own unique new thread in messages, seems Apple always piles it on and blends it with existing thread, right, just because they are under same roof in contracts. HOpe that made sense, baffling to witness.

Re: iphone / message glitch
kevs #59374 08/28/21 01:40 AM

The address book is organized around individuals and it is expected that each individual will have their own record. As long as you have multiple entries even with multiple names in the same address book record it would be seen as multiple addresses for the same individual. The easiest suggestion would be to separate each of the individuals into their own unique address book entry with the same company name in each. You can find individuals in the address book by company name. If you entered John’s plumbing you would then have your choice of four different names and addresses to select from and instead of the messages being grouped under John’s plumbing they would be grouped under the individuals name.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59375 08/28/21 03:10 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok Joe thanks, good at least that a confirmation on that.

The person at least did receive my text, but it went in a shared thread/ message, where everyone else saw it as well.

So now know, have to make seperate cards. Pity, like you have married couple separate phone numbers and names in one contact card, and have message with one. Then send message to other, and they blend into same message.. just BS IMO.

In effect as you say have to make separate contact cards... And Apple does this even if just typing in phone numbers direct to message without the card involved!

kevs #59377 08/28/21 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
In effect as you say have to make separate contact cards... And Apple does this even if just typing in phone numbers direct to message without the card involved!
It appears the only way to prevent th linkage is to remove the entry in Contacts.

— Albert Einstein
Re: iphone / message glitchdon’t don’t
joemikeb #59379 08/28/21 08:56 PM

I just thought of another possible source of linkage in Mail Previous Recipients. I don’t know that it exists but given Apple’s tendency to reuse code and data it is another possible source of cross linkage.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59380 08/28/21 09:58 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe thanks will note! Last month I sent out a confidential email to my friend Jeff, and that feature, tricked me in a flash, to send to another Jeff I don't know too well!

kevs #59435 09/10/21 10:57 PM

I was looking for something to solve your delimma on the Mac App Store and ran across Cardhop, an enhancement to Contacts that might, give you at least some of what I think you are wanting and works in macOS, iOS, and iPadOS. It will NOT free you from the necessity of having separate Contact entries for each person in a family or company, as it is based on the Contacts database and its connections to Mail, Messages, Facetime, etc., but it does add "relationship" tracking between contacts. Not only the relationship but what the individual is in the relationship. That permits you to identify Sue Jones as the company president, Bill Smith is their sales representative, and Jim Wallace as Sue Jones "Significant Other" or truthfully whatever relationship you can think of, and provides transportation from any individual in a relationship to all of the others. Even better, any individual may be in multiple relationships, so Sue Jones can be in a company relationship, and a family relationship.

Cross device synchronization is subscription based service, but the subscription also includes the highly regarded Fantastical in the same subscription, and there is a free two week trial. I don't know if either of these would work for you, but I thought I would pass them along for what it is worth.

DISCLOSURE STATEMENT:

I have no relationship, pecuniary or otherwise, with Flexibits, the developer of Cardhop and Fantastical, other than that of a subscriber.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59436 09/10/21 11:41 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

JOe! thanks.
May pass..

I have one plug in for Mail, love it, it's the only great plug in where can write NOTES directly on your emails for clients. Incredibly Apple does not offer this.

Yet this one plug in causes crazy instability every few months.

Hence very anti plug in now. (except if have to have it)

And this extends to wordpress sites where plug ins crash website.

This issue is rather minor, though I do have to say, Apple should not be bleeding everyone into the same email, but I'll take your previous advice to try to remember to divide to separate emails.

kevs #59438 09/11/21 03:24 PM

From the description I read in the App Store, Cardhop is not a plug-in, at least not like the ones you are describing in Mail. Cardhop may piggyback off of Apple's Contacts, but it seems to be a standalone app.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #59439 09/11/21 04:46 PM

You are correct: Cardhop, and Fantastical for that matter, are not "plug-ins". Cardhop is an alternate front end application for the Contacts database and Fantastical is an alternate front end application for the Calendar and Reminders databases and can show Weather data as well. In that way the connections between those databases and Mail, Messages, Phone, FaceTime, Maps remain unaffected and any change made in Cardhop appears in Contacts and vice-versa. On the other hand Cardhop can establish, recognize, and display relationship information that is not available in Contacts.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard