FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Iphone Message Nuisance with Bubbles etc
#59184 07/20/21 10:52 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I conquered this unique almost sadistic nuisance: How do you even call it: When can't send an urgent message, because your iphone wants to know if you want to send in a bubble or other goofy childish way?

I can't remember what I did to never see that again, but it came back.. Thanks

Re: Iphone Message Nuisance with Bubbles etc
kevs #59185 07/20/21 11:41 PM

Those come up with a LONG press, if you just touch the send arrow you will never see them. How long a press can be customized in Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Touch Accommodations

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59187 07/21/21 12:28 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks JOe, I have the set to off. What you have it set to? I don't understand it at all.

How test this. Can you send screenshot? I think that's what I normally do touch the send arrow, what did I do then by mistake?

What do even call this issue. I write it down in notes: How to prevent the goofy bubbles and other children stuff from taking over your outgoing message?

kevs #59189 07/21/21 01:34 PM

joemikeb is absolutely correct. You may not think you are pressing too long or hard on the "Send Message" arrow, but those bubbles and things only come up with a long press.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
kevs #59190 07/21/21 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
I have the set to off. What you have it set to? I don't understand it at all.
When you say "I have the set to off", what do you have set to OFF? There is no on or off switch for the bubbles. They appear when you either…
  1. press and hold to send arrow or
  2. you press hard on the send arrow

Originally Posted by keys
How test this. Can you send screenshot? I think that's what I normally do touch the send arrow, what did I do then by mistake?
You are probably pausing too long on the send icon. Just a quick tap is all that is needed to send a message. Pause a half second or so and the option to send the "bubbles" comes up.

As I mentioned before you can adjust the length of time it takes for your phone to detect a long press in Settings > Accessibility > Touch Accommodations by...
  1. Turning Touch Accommodations ON and
  2. Adjusting Hold Duration and Tap Assistance Gesture Delay

...until it works best for you. WARNING: this will effect all touch actions on your phone not just the send and if you get overly enthusiastic in the settings it can make the phone very difficult to use, so think in terms of a few hundredths of a second when making adjustments, be patient, and sneak-up on your ideal settings.

What do even call this issue. I write it down in notes: How to prevent the goofy bubbles and other children stuff from taking over your outgoing message?
Apple calls it a "feature" and advertises it as such.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59194 07/21/21 05:32 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira, thanks, you are right, Joe is right. Not paying attention 100% of time, just 97% so every blue moon hold too long, and what,,.. wtf is going on? One of th most annoying features in any apple product of all time.

Yeah Joe I meant Touch Accomodation is off. I'll keep it off but make a not as had no idea it existed.

New issue Today on Messenger! Now seeing in messenger, for the first time, some message (have no idea why or what) but some come up at top with persons profile in a circle. Have seen this? Brand new nuisance. And can't delete it, or I have not figured out.. wont slide to right to delete like normal message.

kevs #59200 07/21/21 09:39 PM

That is a conversation that has become "pinned" Control+Click or right click on a conversation and a context menu will appear with the option to pin (or UN-pin) the conversation. If the person in the conversation is in your contacts list and has a photo associated with the entry that is the picture you will see. Otherwise it is a conversation icon. If you have a lot of conversations going it can be very useful to pin the most critical to the top and then you can drag the pinned conversations into whatever order mess the most sense to you.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59202 07/22/21 01:07 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

JOe, thanks How new is this pinning feature?

Can the other person pin it, or am I'm pinning inadvertently?

Also, I don't see a way to right or control click a conversation, on the iphone. I do see a way if I'm on desktop in messenger and have mouse.'

Even then I don't see a way to unpin it.

kevs #59205 07/22/21 02:45 PM

JOe, thanks How new is this pinning feature?
It is in iOS 6 so at least ten months old. (I am not a good judge of that because I run beta software and stay four or five months ahead of the general release curve.)

Can the other person pin it, or am I'm pinning inadvertently?
You are doing it inadvertently. Almost certainly by holding a click too long.

Also, I don't see a way to right or control click a conversation, on the iphone. I do see a way if I'm on desktop in messenger and have mouse.'

Even then I don't see a way to unpin it.
You may not like the answer, as it has caused you so much aggravation already but a LONG press on the conversation icon — not the text — will bringup a context menu with options to pin or unpin, hide alerts, or delete.

NOTE: A long press (a.k.a. "long touch") is the touch interface (iOS, iPadOS) equivalent of control+click on the Mac keyboard, a right click on the mouse, or a two finger tap or click on a trackpad. Pinning or unpinning a conversation on one device pins or unpins the conversation on all devices on the same Apple ID account.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59206 07/22/21 04:59 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, not the unpin done. Did not know about the holding down long is a right click so that help thanks again.

kevs #59215 07/27/21 04:39 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Today guys, please! Final messages nuisance forget to ask.

Delete message and ask not all time... REPORT AS JUNK OR NOT.

Total micro nuisance, anyway to get rid of this? What weird sometimes is ask that and 1/2 time not ask that.

kevs #59221 07/29/21 04:59 PM

Today guys, please! Final messages nuisance forget to ask.

Delete message and ask not all time... REPORT AS JUNK OR NOT.

Total micro nuisance, anyway to get rid of this? What weird sometimes is ask that and 1/2 time not ask that.
I cannot replicate this. Is it possible this is from a third party app?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59222 07/29/21 05:49 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, I dont see how as I'm in Messenger but who knows... and not all time, but quite a bit: report junk/ don't report.
after you slide to red to delete, real nuisance

kevs #59223 07/29/21 06:22 PM

Could it have something to do with whether it's from a new, i.e. unknown, contact or a known one?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #59224 07/29/21 08:38 PM

Thanks Joe, I dont see how as I'm in Messenger but who knows... and not all time, but quite a bit: report junk/ don't report.
after you slide to red to delete, real nuisance
Check Settings > Messages > Unknown & spam (you have to scroll way down to find Unknown & Spam) and see if
  1. Filter Unknown Senders is off or on
  2. is anything other than None selected under SMS Filtering

Filtering Unknown Senders can and will sort incoming messages into separate groupings depending on whether or not senders are in your contacts list. SMS filtering is where third party filtering apps like Malwarebtes will appear and can be activated or deactivated. I have Malwarebytes activated which may be why I am not able to replicate your message. It does a good job of eliminating spam texts without much, or any, action on my part.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/29/21 08:45 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59225 07/29/21 09:31 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe,, artie/
Filter unknown senders is on OFF.

So then that is not it correct?

Interesting about Malwary bytes, I cannot trust it though as in business, one false positive can lose a client. (exception: unless they have a dashboard you can review of the ones they are blocking) do they?

So still don't know why some, most dont have this, but many go delete and says, report as spam... no one else seen this? wow.. thanks.

Last edited by kevs; 07/29/21 09:31 PM.
kevs #59226 07/29/21 10:13 PM

Filter unknown senders is on OFF.

So then that is not it correct?

Interesting about Malwary bytes, I cannot trust it though as in business, one false positive can lose a client. (exception: unless they have a dashboard you can review of the ones they are blocking) do they?
Turning Filter Unknown Sender ON just might accomplish at least part of what you want as it will separate messages from unknown senders (ie. not in your contacts list) into a separate list that you can easily access or not. That list will likely be mostly spam, but at least it would be easier to screen manually and allow you to focus on your known good texts. Additionally it works on all messages while many (most?) third party apps only work on SMS messages.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59227 07/29/21 10:56 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, thanks so separates, but I still get to see all of them (which is good) How seperate? What happens?

Known would be also those I've had an email exchanges with too?

kevs #59228 07/30/21 01:03 AM

Joe, thanks so separates, but I still get to see all of them (which is good) How seperate? What happens?

Known would be also those I've had an email exchanges with too?
Just two separate tabs in the Message window. The known addressees are identified by the information in you Contacts list. SMS messages are identified by the sending telephone number and iMessages can be identified either by telephone number or email address.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59229 07/30/21 01:42 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, are people filtered out, of which you would never see at all?

kevs #59230 07/30/21 02:04 AM

Thanks Joe, are people filtered out, of which you would never see at all?
Not unless, you had some other app or filter running. All it does is separate the known and unknown. If the message is from a telephone number you have blocked then any messages from that number will be blocked as well.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59231 07/30/21 05:23 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

REtry the question:

The people filtered out, (not those who are blocked, but those who are not block, BUT, you don't know at all -- would never see at all?

kevs #59232 07/30/21 04:02 PM

REtry the question:

The people filtered out, (not those who are blocked, but those who are not block, BUT, you don't know at all -- would never see at all?

Taking it from the top:
  1. Open Messages and Touch Filters
  2. Choose which group of messages you want to see. Note: the number represents the number of UNREAD messages in that list.
  3. View the list of messages from Known or Unknown at your discretion.

Messages from anyone that is in your contacts list will appear under the known senders tab and Messages from anyone not in your contacts list will appear under the unknown tab.
So you can see the messages from unknown senders, but only if, and when, you desire.

Messages in both lists are retained for 30 days, 1 year, or forever (see Settings > Messages > Keep Messages) or until manually deleted.

NOTE: Your screens might be slightly different because I am running iOS 15.0.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/30/21 05:14 PM. Reason: Note

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59233 07/30/21 05:07 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks JOe, never knew or tried this but alas, better for me to keep that off, and another few clicks I would have to check constantly for false positive in the unknown.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard