for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can't dictate text with shared photo
#59173 07/20/21 01:13 AM
OP Offline

I can dictate my texts on my iPhone, but when I send a text using the share button for photos, the dictation feature doesn't work and I have to type it in which I do very slowly. I've never gotten the hang of fast texting using my thumbs. frown

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Can't dictate text with shared photo
plantsower #59178 07/20/21 01:17 PM

I am running iOS 15.0 b3 but I can dictate both the addressee and message using share to Messages or Mail from Photo 🤷‍♂️. Just select the image, click the share icon, select the medium, touch where the text is to be inserted, then touch the microphone icon and dictate. Admittedly it can be a bit tricky getting the insertion point right, but that is more a factor of fat fingers than anything else.

FWIW I can't thumb type either.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59180 07/20/21 06:21 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Joe. But that is exactly what I do. It just won't respond. Usually when I click the microphone it makes a noise, but in this instance no noise to let me know it's live. I tried dictating anyway but nothing happened. frown

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I am running iOS 15.0 b3 but I can dictate both the addressee and message using share to Messages or Mail from Photo 🤷‍♂️. Just select the image, click the share icon, select the medium, touch where the text is to be inserted, then touch the microphone icon and dictate. Admittedly it can be a bit tricky getting the insertion point right, but that is more a factor of fat fingers than anything else.

FWIW I can't thumb type either.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59181 07/20/21 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
Thanks, Joe. But that is exactly what I do. It just won't respond. Usually when I click the microphone it makes a noise, but in this instance no noise to let me know it's live. I tried dictating anyway but nothing happened. frown
  1. Have you restarted your iPhone?
  2. Am I correct in assuming you have Enable Dictation turned on in Settings > General > Keyboards? and that dictation works in other apps?
  3. Have you checked Settings > Privacy > Microphone to see if perhaps the microphone is set OFF for Messages?
  4. Do you have AirPods or any kind of headphone or headset connected either by Bluetooth or USB?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59182 07/20/21 08:44 PM
OP Offline

Thank you! Step 1 took care of it. Again, I keep forgetting the simple fixes.

1. Have you restarted your iPhone?
  2. Am I correct in assuming you have Enable Dictation turned on in Settings > General > Keyboards? and that dictation works in other apps?
  3. Have you checked Settings > Privacy > Microphone to see if perhaps the microphone is set OFF for Messages?
  4. Do you have AirPods or any kind of headphone or headset connected either by Bluetooth or USB?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59183 07/20/21 09:44 PM

We all do that, but I tell myself it is not so much a matter of forgetting the simple fixes, rather our Apple devices have become so stable that we don't need to clutter our brains remembering them. (At least that sounds better than admitting I have senior moments. 👴🏻)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59186 07/20/21 11:56 PM
OP Offline

Amen, brother! You're right. I sometimes can't see why I should reboot to fix a problem. It doesn't seem related. I remember more to reboot my Mac than I do my phone. Lesson learned (as long as I can remember it)! LOL!

We all do that, but I tell myself it is not so much a matter of forgetting the simple fixes, rather our Apple devices have become so stable that we don't need to clutter our brains remembering them. (At least that sounds better than admitting I have senior moments. 👴🏻)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59188 07/21/21 01:31 PM

I have had this problem on occasion and it seems to correspond to a momentary loss of a network connection, either cellular or wi-fi. Look to see if that is the case when the problem crops up. As suggested, a power off and on of the iPhone might clear it up.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #59197 07/21/21 06:28 PM
OP Offline

As suggested, a power off and on of the iPhone might clear it up. [/quote]

Which is did! Thanks, Ira.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard