for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Perfect Wired Connection. Limited Wireless Access
#5913 11/18/09 11:53 PM
OP Offline

When I plug an ethernet cable into my new MacBook Pro, I have perfect access to the internet and my home network.

However, when I connect to my wireless network, I have limited access. I can see computers acting as file servers on the network, connect to them, and open/save files. And I get full internet access. However some TCP/IP services are not available. For example, I cannot print to an LPR-based printer. Nor can I ping that printer. I can't even successfully ping the file server I just connected to. The only things I know I can ping are my Airport Extreme and my network router.

I have laptops which have been on the network for some time. They have full access to all services. So, this is not a global network problem. I have been fishing for solutions:

* Maybe I was somehow connected to an Airport guest network? Nope. Guest network isn't on and, if I were connected that way, I wouldn't be able to access local file servers.
* Maybe I had some weird setup in the router for a particular IP address? Nope. Can't find one and I tried manually configuring my IP address with a never used address. Same access.

I have no clue. I'm not even sure if the problem lives in the laptop or the Airport. I figured I would start here because there might be more network sophistication here.

Can anyone help?

Thanks much!

Re: Perfect Wired Connection. Limited Wireless Ac
noob_for_life #5916 11/19/09 02:01 AM

Hmm. That is a little strange. Just for clarification: The computers that are working properly are also connected wirelessly, correct?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Re: Perfect Wired Connection. Limited Wireless.
tacit #5923 11/19/09 02:51 AM
OP Offline

I'm glad I can present a challenge. But, I think it was gremlins.

Now that I have posted the message, putzed a little bit with a few settings (nothing that should have affected anything), gone out to run some errands, and played with my dog, the problem is gone.

I have no explanation. It REALLY was that way.

Thanks for scaring away the gremlins.

Gary

P.S. To answer your question: Yes, the working computers are wireless. The main difference was that they are on 10.4.11 while the new computers are on 10.6.2.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard