for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
IOS15 Initial Impressions
#59077 07/04/21 11:20 PM
OP Offline

1. Install was non-eventful but the estimated time remaining and progress bar were wildly misleading and all over the clock.
  2. Focus arguably the most significant new feature. Essentially Do Not Disturb with options. Allows user to set what is permitted to interrupt during Do Not Disturb, Driving, Sleep, Personsal, and Work (it is also possible to turn some of those on automatically) Interruptions include Time sensitive Notifications, People, and. Specific Apps. And even notify specific contacts when you are in a specific mode. Not exactly earth shattering but, something you will wish others use even if you don’t.
  3. Translation currently 11 languages available for download including English (UK) and English (US).hopefully that list will be expanded and will include other dialects. For exzmple here in the southwest U.S. Spanish (Mexico) would be far more useful than Spanish (Spain) which is the only dialect offered. I haven’t had an opportunity to test it yet.
  4. Hide IP Address in both Mail and Safari. This is sort of like a VPN without the VPN server slowdown and end to end encryption. A relatively minor security feature but painless and likely will make marketers lives more difficult and likely will not be approved in authoritarian regimes.
  5. Safari It may be simply adjusting to the changes, but I find Safari in iOS 15 a mixture of nice changes shared with iPadOS and macOS and irritating gestures to access the address bar and other features. So far I don’t like it. One other thing It desperately needs quick easy, site specific blocker control like Safari on macOS. This is particularly true since Safari extensions are now supported on iOS.

So far iOS 15 is not a knockout, but it is very early days. More to come

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: IOS15 Initial Impressions
joemikeb #59122 07/10/21 11:09 PM
OP Offline

An interesting sidebar. It has been almost a week since I installed iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, but it wasn't until last night that a notification banner appeared on my iPad apparently without my having attempted to launch any application:
Originally Posted by Notification
This application is not compatible with this version of iPadOS and must be updated by the devloper
Click here to delete {the name of the app was here}
the only way to clear the notification was to "click here". I had forgotten I had the app and I won't miss it, but the interesting part is as far as I am aware I did not attempt to launch either app yet I still got the notification. ❓🤷‍♂️❓

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59509 09/21/21 08:29 PM
OP Offline

iOS 15 was officially released yesterday. This morning iOS 15.1 beta 1 was released to Developers with a couple of planned features that weren't ready for prime time — yet.

— Albert Einstein
15 & Mask-Watch issue
joemikeb #59571 10/01/21 07:27 PM

15.0.1 (available as of this writing) resolves

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
joemikeb #59707 10/25/21 06:56 AM

I really want to switch to apple. I've always had androids frown

Last edited by JohnGreenCloG; 10/25/21 06:57 AM.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard