FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bad experience at Other World Computing
#59110 07/09/21 01:13 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I purchased two iPhone SE Gen2 from OWC. During the decision-making process, I had questions that Customer Service said could only be answered by Technical Support. However, I wrote to Tech Support twice over a period of 8 or 10 days but no one ever responded. I tried the "Chat" route but, after an interminable wait, finally gave up. In the end I had to get the answers from a third party.

The value of my order was $578 and the OWC website says: "Special $12.95 Shipping to Canada: This option is available on orders of at least $199.00 USD via the Purolator International: PuroPost shipping method." Apparently not. My order was nearly triple the requirement but I was charged $38.18 and, when I wrote to get an explanation, no one responded.

After several days waiting for a written reply, I used the "Chat" method. I was told: "Shipping costs will vary depending on the items purchased. Since the items that have been purchases are high ticket items, shipping will be more expensive." That sounded nonsensical, so I asked the logical question: "At what dollar value do higher rates start to kick in?" but could not get an answer.

I wonder if OWC has just got too fat to care.

Last edited by ryck; 07/09/21 01:24 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Bad experience at Other World Computing
ryck #59111 07/09/21 04:58 PM

Do you know if their Customer Service or Technical Support is in-house or farmed out, way out?

The company should still insist on quality, but I would be curious.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #59114 07/09/21 07:01 PM

I chatted with OWC tech support a few weeks ago. It was the first time I had contacted them in many years. Based on my experience training tech support engineers for Microsoft, I observed...
  • The technician is a native American English speaker (nothing against non-native speakers, but it reduces the chances for mis-communications)
  • He was having to look up the answers to my question (which beats the h3✓✓ out of making up an answer on the fly)
  • I had the impression he may have been handling more than one conversation at a time and was a bit distracted.
  • In the end he answered my questions
  • but he did NOT solve my problem, but I was convinced there was not an answer I would be satisfied with.

On the other hand, I have had extended exchanges (lasting weeks if not months) with SoftRAID (a wholly owned subsidiary of OWC) working through getting SoftRAID to work on M1 Macs running Big Sur and more recently Monterey. They have proven very responsive, knowledgeable, patient, and helpful — even to the extent of supporting their product on a beta OS version. (Many companies hang up when they find I am on a beta OS or sieze the opportunity to scold me for wasting their time).

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #59115 07/09/21 11:01 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by Ira L
Do you know if their Customer Service or Technical Support is in-house or farmed out, way out?
I doubt it and would concur with joemike's conclusion.

Separate from not being able to get technical answers, I'm really ticked about the bait and switch where they post a very specific deal for shipping but, when you place an order that is triple the requirement for the special rate, they say: "Oh wait, we have some rules that we did not divulge. Too bad."

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #59116 07/09/21 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
Separate from not being able to get technical answers, I'm really ticked about the bait and switch where they post a very specific deal for shipping but, when you place an order that is triple the requirement for the special rate, they say: "Oh wait, we have some rules that we did not divulge. Too bad."
I absolutely would not settle for the response you've gotten so far! It sounds like the spawn of an ignoramus who made it up as they went, and in my experience, it's simply NOT the way OWC does business.

Push it over the phone...HARD.

Afterthought: I wonder if they maybe added insurance because of the value of your order? Even if that's the case, it should be disclosed somewhere.

Last edited by artie505; 07/09/21 11:50 PM. Reason: Afterthought

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #59117 07/10/21 02:59 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by artie505
I wonder if they maybe added insurance because of the value of your order? Even if that's the case, it should be disclosed somewhere.
That also crossed my mind but, like you, I thought it should at least be identified in the list shipping of expenses.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard