Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Menu bar on Safari Technology Preview
artie505 #58999 06/22/21 09:42 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by artie505
Just what I've been expecting (in one way or another).

First off, not that it matters, but I've got no idea how you managed to get "Debug" in your Safari menu bar, (Me neither) or how you got rid of "Notifications." It just never showed up. It's not on any of my browser menus..

And here's how I believe you can get "Debug" back where you want it in STP:

Make your Date & Time icon considerably smaller by editing the info it displays in System Prefs > Date & Time or with a 3rd party app. (Do you really need to show the month and AM/PM?) I really don't need the Date displayed as I can see it on the calendar icon but I can't see how to change it. When I looked at Date & Time I couldn't see a choice to take out the date or the PM.

Make your battery icon considerably smaller by editing the info it displays (control-click on the icon) or with a third party app. (Couldn't you live without battery %, i.e. by eye?) I'm just used to the battery icon being there and I use it to change the schedule from time to time. I also didn't see a way to make it smaller by clicking on the icon. I don't really want to use a third party.

By way of comparison, here's what my icons look like. (Date & Time is Itsycal [Donationware]: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/49674/itsycal, and Battery is SlimBatteryMonitor [Donationware]: https://www.orange-carb.org/SBM.)

And as you think this through, remember that Apple has increased the space between icons by a considerable amount (too much, in my opinion) in Big Sur, so you'll need to deal with this stuff later, if not now.

Bottom line, though, is that Apple should have realized that "Safari Technology Preview" takes up waaay too much menu bar space and offered an alternative option. (Also, the amount of space that Apple's battery icon takes up has been an ongoing evoker of complaints for - more or less - ever.)

Oops! Crossed with Ira.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #59000 06/22/21 09:55 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower
Just how do I do that with Tinkertool? Thanks. If it's a simple step by step process, I will try it. If not, I will deal with it by just bringing back the develop menu when I need it. Thanks, JoeMike for all your help.[/color]
  1. Quit STP
  2. Download and install TinkerTool 7 which is the correct version for Catalina.
  3. Launch TinkerTool 7 and on the Tool bar select Fonts
  4. Select the Font category you want to change then click on "Change"
  5. From the list of Typefaces displayed choose one you think would be appropriate then specify a point size (you will see examples on the screen) I suggest something like SF Compact Display or Helvetica Neue if you have them on your system but if not any compact sans serif font should do.
  6. When you have adjusted all the fonts, quit TinkerTool 7
  7. Launch STP and see how the changes worked out.
  8. Repeat until you get something you are satisfied with. (This is the kind of project that can go on for a long time until you get something you like and can live with for the next few years.
I did what you said and made every font much smaller, but it made no difference in the menu bar. I still can't add "Develop" without losing my B/T icon. I even removed a third party icon in the menu bar to make more room but it didn't help. UPDATE: I was able to remove two 3rd party icons from the menu bar and it made room for Develop!!! I will now go into Tinker Tool and increase my font sizes and they are too small!

Last edited by plantsower; 06/22/21 10:33 PM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59002 06/23/21 02:24 AM

I really don't need the Date displayed as I can see it on the calendar icon but I can't see how to change it. When I looked at Date & Time I couldn't see a choice to take out the date or the PM.
In System Prefs > Date & Time > Clock I see this, which shows the settings you want.

I'm just used to the battery icon being there and I use it to change the schedule from time to time. I also didn't see a way to make it smaller by clicking on the icon.
If you click on the icon you'll see this dropdown. You can either get rid of the icon entirely or uncheck "Show Percentage" if the info isn't important to you.

Getting rid of date, AM/PM may enable you to restore the two icons you've removed. If you get rid of battery percentage too, you'll definitely be able to do it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #59004 06/23/21 01:47 PM

First off, not that it matters, but I've got no idea how you managed to get "Debug" in your Safari menu bar, (Me neither) or how you got rid of "Notifications." It just never showed up. It's not on any of my browser menus.
System Preferences > Notifications > Allow Notifications OFF
In earlier versions of MacOS it was a lot easier to turn Safari's debug and Develop menus off and on and it can still be done in MacPilot, but where most MacPilot actions show the command line used to change the setting it now reads
Originally Posted by MacPilot
This is a special command and the details of how to execute it are not public. Please, instead, use the graphical user interface in MacPilot.

In STP it appears the Debug and Develop menus have merged into the Develop menu.

UPDATE: I was able to remove two 3rd party icons from the menu bar and it made room for Develop!!! I will now go into Tinker Tool and increase my font sizes and they are too small!
Your will get better results from changing the typeface than the point size.

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/23/21 01:52 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #59007 06/23/21 04:44 PM
OP Offline

I looked at the clock option yesterday but only noticed the clock on the menu bar which I didn't care for, and neglected to see the drop down box. frown . Thanks. I just took care of all that. For some reason my B/T icon decided not to show up again today. After I did the clock thing, it showed back up. It seems to be touchy. Those icons I took out of the menu yesterday were also in my dock so they didn't need to be there as far as I was concerned. I didn't put them there anyway. I'm fine with the battery percentage. I like it there. It's a reminder when I forget to plug in my Mac after I've moved it to another room for awhile.

I really don't need the Date displayed as I can see it on the calendar icon but I can't see how to change it. When I looked at Date & Time I couldn't see a choice to take out the date or the PM.
In System Prefs > Date & Time > Clock I see this, which shows the settings you want.

I'm just used to the battery icon being there and I use it to change the schedule from time to time. I also didn't see a way to make it smaller by clicking on the icon.
If you click on the icon you'll see this dropdown. You can either get rid of the icon entirely or uncheck "Show Percentage" if the info isn't important to you.

Getting rid of date, AM/PM may enable you to restore the two icons you've removed. If you get rid of battery percentage too, you'll definitely be able to do it.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #59008 06/23/21 04:55 PM
OP Offline

Are you talking about all notifications like mail, messages, etc., or the notifications on the right of our name on the menu bar that says "Today" and "Notifications? I would just as soon that was gone.

UPDATE: I was able to remove two 3rd party icons from the menu bar and it made room for Develop!!! I will now go into Tinker Tool and increase my font sizes and they are too small!
Your will get better results from changing the typeface than the point size. [/quote]

I didn't realize that. I did use the type face you mentioned though the compressed one didn't show. If I need to, I will remember to just change the type. I had no idea that would make a difference if I wasn't bothering with the point size either.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59010 06/23/21 05:17 PM

Yes, but it requires Big Sur. I looked it up yesterday.

Originally Posted by Ira L
If you really want it all now, try Bartender. Among other things, it gives you a menu bar icon that, when clicked on, gives you other menu bar icons of your choice. Although I have not used it, it seems a great way to show more menu icons when there is no space for them.

Ahh, but they make Bartender 3 available for other Mac OS's. Go to the same link as above.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
plantsower #59011 06/23/21 06:19 PM

Notification OFF stops all apps from sending notifications period. But there are some notifications, like weather or safety emergency notifications that will over-ride that setting. Perhaps a abetter alternative is individually tailoring which apps can send what kinds of notifications in the same System Preferences > Notifications pane. The drop down when you click on the clock at the right end of the menu bar is called the Notification Center and what Notifications are placed there are among the individual application notification options available, but it cannot be disabled entirely. In Big Sur there are Widgets added to the Notification Center, as you find in iOS/iPadOS 14 and later.

If you don't have Apple's SF (San Francisco) fonts they are free downloads from here and other locations on the web. Apple created them specifically for system fonts on the watch, iPhone, iPad. as well as the Mac and the "Compact" variants are particularly good for reducing the with of words in menus without reducing readability and comprehension, which is crucial on the watch, but work well on the Mac as well. As to the font pitch I find 16 point to be about right and if I go below 12 point eyestrain kicks in pretty quickly unless I wear computer tinted reading glasses..

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #59012 06/23/21 06:37 PM
OP Offline

Thank you, Ira.

Yes, but it requires Big Sur. I looked it up yesterday.

If you really want it all now, try Bartender. Among other things, it gives you a menu bar icon that, when clicked on, gives you other menu bar icons of your choice. Although I have not used it, it seems a great way to show more menu icons when there is no space for them.

Ahh, but they make Bartender 3 available for other Mac OS's. Go to the same link as above.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #59013 06/23/21 06:38 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, JoeMike.

Notification OFF stops all apps from sending notifications period. But there are some notifications, like weather or safety emergency notifications that will over-ride that setting. Perhaps a abetter alternative is individually tailoring which apps can send what kinds of notifications in the same System Preferences > Notifications pane. The drop down when you click on the clock at the right end of the menu bar is called the Notification Center and what Notifications are placed there are among the individual application notification options available, but it cannot be disabled entirely. In Big Sur there are Widgets added to the Notification Center, as you find in iOS/iPadOS 14 and later.

If you don't have Apple's SF (San Francisco) fonts they are free downloads from here and other locations on the web. Apple created them specifically for system fonts on the watch, iPhone, iPad. as well as the Mac and the "Compact" variants are particularly good for reducing the with of words in menus without reducing readability and comprehension, which is crucial on the watch, but work well on the Mac as well. As to the font pitch I find 16 point to be about right and if I go below 12 point eyestrain kicks in pretty quickly unless I wear computer tinted reading glasses..

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Ira L #59015 06/23/21 10:02 PM

Ira, thanks for the Bartender suggestion. It appears to be very useful. 👍

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59017 06/24/21 09:07 AM

First off, not that it matters, but I've got no idea how you managed to get "Debug" in your Safari menu bar, (Me neither) or how you got rid of "Notifications." It just never showed up. It's not on any of my browser menus.
I think you misunderstood my question: I'm wondering why Rita hasn't got a Notifications icon in her menu bar.

I've done a bunch of searching and never found a way to rid my menu bar of that icon; the best I could do is a command that makes the image of the icon disappear, but doesn't reclaim the real estate...just leaves an empty space.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #59018 06/24/21 09:16 AM

Those icons I took out of the menu yesterday were also in my dock so they didn't need to be there as far as I was concerned. I didn't put them there anyway.
Any number of Apple and 3rd party apps arbitrarily place optional icons in our menu bars, presumably to let us know they exist.

It makes more sense than leaving us to discover their existence, and they can always be deleted by command-dragging them from the bar or unchecking a box in the app's prefs.

artie505 #59022 06/24/21 05:59 PM
OP Offline

Yeah, that's what I eventually did. I've never felt the need to remove a menu item but now I do and I did that. Worked great. I do have the notification icon on my menu bar if you are talking about the one with three lines across I just didn't show it because it's right after my name which you have warned me about showing.

It makes more sense than leaving us to discover their existence, and they can always be deleted by command-dragging them from the bar or unchecking a box in the app's prefs. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59023 06/24/21 06:30 PM

I do have the notification icon on my menu bar if you are talking about the one with three lines across I just didn't show it because it's right after my name which you have warned me about showing.

OK, that explains your mysterious missing icon. I don't have my name in my menu bar so it never occurred to me as a possibility. (By the way, why are you using Fast User Switching? Your name takes up a lot of menu bar real estate, and as far as I know, you're the only user of your MBP. Do you switch between accounts?)

I've never understood why Apple has insisted on wasting so much menu bar real estate on the battery icon. I hope the increased amount of space given to each icon in Big Sur has induced them to change it.

artie505 #59024 06/24/21 06:46 PM
OP Offline

I don't know what Fast User Switching is. I didn't know I had a choice not to put my name there. It's just there. Do I command+drag to trash? I will await your reply.

I do have the notification icon on my menu bar if you are talking about the one with three lines across I just didn't show it because it's right after my name which you have warned me about showing.

OK, that explains your mysterious missing icon. I don't have my name in my menu bar so it never occurred to me as a possibility. (By the way, why are you using Fast User Switching? Your name takes up a lot of menu bar real estate, and as far as I know, you're the only user of your MBP. Do you switch between accounts?)

I've never understood why Apple has insisted on wasting so much menu bar real estate on the battery icon. I hope the increased amount of space given to each icon in Big Sur has induced them to change it.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59025 06/24/21 06:49 PM

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #59026 06/24/21 07:00 PM
OP Offline

Oh, I see. Thanks. I never switch users as I am the only one that uses this Mac. I can see where it would be handy, though.

Originally Posted by jchuzi

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59029 06/25/21 12:20 AM

I don't know what Fast User Switching is. I didn't know I had a choice not to put my name there. It's just there. Do I command+drag to trash? I will await your reply.

Well, there was the root of your problem all along, calendar and battery notwithstanding. You can either command-drag your name from your menu bar - just off the bar 'til you see an "X" indicator, and then release...no need to trash it - or uncheck the box in System Prefs. (As I mentioned earlier, Apple and 3rd party apps often place icons that you don't need in your menu bar, so any time a new or curious one turns up it pays to investigate its nature.)

In the end, though, this was a good learning experience for you, so the long journey was well worth the effort. smile

If you didn't notice, and if it makes a difference to you, Jon's link points to a page that defaults to Big Sur instructions; you can change it to Catalina in the top left corner. (I've noticed any number of Apple pages doing that recenly, so it's always best to check before following instructions which may be totally inapplicable.)

And for future reference, if there's info in a screenshot (or other image) that you don't want to show, you can open the image in Preview and drag your cursor around it to surround it with blue dots, and then hit delete to white it out, like so and so.

artie505 #59030 06/25/21 05:08 AM
OP Offline

Well, there was the root of your problem all along, calendar and battery notwithstanding. You can either command-drag your name from your menu bar - just off the bar 'til you see an "X" indicator, and then release...no need to trash it - or uncheck the box in System Prefs. OK, I got my name off. I don't understand where in system prefs I could have unchecked anything to take my name off that way, though.

In the end, though, this was a good learning experience for you, so the long journey was well worth the effort. smile

If you didn't notice, and if it makes a difference to you, Jon's link points to a page that defaults to Big Sur instructions; you can change it to Catalina in the top left corner. (I've noticed any number of Apple pages doing that recenly, so it's always best to check before following instructions which may be totally inapplicable.) OK.

And for future reference, if there's info in a screenshot (or other image) that you don't want to show, you can open the image in Preview and drag your cursor around it to surround it with blue dots, and then hit delete to white it out, like so and so. [/quote] Good to know. Thanks.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59031 06/25/21 08:25 AM

Well, there was the root of your problem all along, calendar and battery notwithstanding. You can either command-drag your name from your menu bar - just off the bar 'til you see an "X" indicator, and then release...no need to trash it - or uncheck the box in System Prefs. OK, I got my name off. I don't understand where in system prefs I could have unchecked anything to take my name off that way, though.
In System Prefs > Users & Groups > Login Options. (Link)

artie505 #59034 06/25/21 04:55 PM
OP Offline

Artie: I have used that in the past to control my login items, but I've never seen my name there. Maybe you were just referring to items other than my name? That's not how it read in the sentence, so maybe I misunderstood.

In System Prefs > Users & Groups > Login Options. (Link)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59035 06/25/21 05:14 PM

You've got to click on "Login OPTIONS," NOT "Login Items."

"Fast User Switching" is what puts your name in your menu bar, as per "Full Name."

artie505 #59036 06/25/21 05:48 PM
OP Offline

You've got to click on "Login OPTIONS," NOT "Login Items." Oh. Thx.

"Fast User Switching" is what puts your name in your menu bar, as per "Full Name."

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59039 06/26/21 06:41 PM
OP Offline

Hi JoeMike: Can I call you Joe? LOL! Anyway, I put my fonts and points on my computer back to default via Tinker Tool. But some of them are still really tiny. I don't know how to get them back to normal. This is a screen shot of my Bean.com word processor where I save a document. When I go to label my document and decide where I want it on my Mac, you can see that the word "desktop" is teensy tiny. I want it back to normal. I don't think anything else is still tiny as far as I've noticed. Any ideas? Bean Word Processor It's actually tinier than it looks on the screen shot.

Just how do I do that with Tinkertool? Thanks. If it's a simple step by step process, I will try it. If not, I will deal with it by just bringing back the develop menu when I need it. Thanks, JoeMike for all your help.[/color]
  1. Quit STP
  2. Download and install TinkerTool 7 which is the correct version for Catalina.
  3. Launch TinkerTool 7 and on the Tool bar select Fonts
  4. Select the Font category you want to change then click on "Change"
  5. From the list of Typefaces displayed choose one you think would be appropriate then specify a point size (you will see examples on the screen) I suggest something like SF Compact Display or Helvetica Neue if you have them on your system but if not any compact sans serif font should do.
  6. When you have adjusted all the fonts, quit TinkerTool 7
  7. Launch STP and see how the changes worked out.
  8. Repeat until you get something you are satisfied with. (This is the kind of project that can go on for a long time until you get something you like and can live with for the next few years.
I did what you said and made every font much smaller, but it made no difference in the menu bar. I still can't add "Develop" without losing my B/T icon. I even removed a third party icon in the menu bar to make more room but it didn't help. UPDATE: I was able to remove two 3rd party icons from the menu bar and it made room for Develop!!! I will now go into Tinker Tool and increase my font sizes and they are too small!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard