FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Menu bar on Safari Technology Preview
#58974 06/21/21 07:13 PM
OP Offline

There are certain icons I want on my menu bar. When I look at the menu bar on STP, some are missing that I have on my regular Safari menu bar. So, I went to System Prefs - Sound, and the minute I did that, those icons showed up on my menu bar without having to choose them like the blue tooth icon and the sound icon. There was no way to choose them actually, and when I closed the system prefs, those icons disappeared.

I need to know how to put them on my menu bar. Thanks.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Menu bar on Safari Technology Preview
plantsower #58975 06/21/21 10:29 PM

I'm not running STP, so this is a guess... Try System Prefs > Sound > Show volume in menu bar (checkbox) and its equivalent in System Prefs/Utilities/Bluetooth (if any).

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #58976 06/21/21 10:43 PM
OP Offline

I tried that. The "show volume in menu bar" option is checked but it doesn't show in the menu bar. There is a bluetooth option (checked to show) which shows the icon in the menu bar when the system prefs are open but disappears once it is closed, same as the sound option. I rebooted but it made no difference.

Originally Posted by artie505
I'm not running STP, so this is a guess... Try System Prefs > Sound > Show volume in menu bar (checkbox) and its equivalent in System Prefs/Utilities/Bluetooth (if any).

Last edited by plantsower; 06/21/21 10:51 PM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58977 06/21/21 11:17 PM

Like Artie, I'm not running STP. Can you go to to the View menu in Safari and select Customize toolbar? Maybe your desired option is there. I apologize if I'm confusing the menu bar that is always at the top of the screen with the list of menus in Safari.

Last edited by jchuzi; 06/21/21 11:19 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #58978 06/21/21 11:23 PM
OP Offline

Yes, the menu bar should have the bluetooth icon, but it doesn't even though it's checked to show. For some reason, the sound icon is now showing. I hope it stays there. Those icons are not included in the toolbar.

Originally Posted by jchuzi
Like Artie, I'm not running STP. Can you go to to the View menu in Safari and select Customize toolbar? Maybe your desired option is there. I apologize if I'm confusing the menu bar that is always at the top of the screen with the list of menus in Safari.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58979 06/22/21 12:25 AM

The menu bar belongs to the system and with the exception of the Apple menu at the far left end, the space on the bar is allocated between the current foreground application starting from the left and the various system icons starting from the right. If there are too many icons, some will be dropped off and since the foreground Apple's menu has priority, those will come from the system icons toward the right end. It may be your volume icon has simply been squeezed out by one too many icons. Try this to get it back…
  1. On the menu bar click on Safari Technology Preview > Preferences > Advanced
  2. At the bottom of that window "Show Develop menu in menu bar" is checked by default —uncheck it

This will free up room in the menu bar for more system icons and hopefully will restore the sound icon.

ALTERNATELY: either reducing the system font size or choosing a more compact system font can do the same thing. Whatever it takes to free up space on the menu bar.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58980 06/22/21 01:10 AM

Good thought about too many icons. I work with so few that it never occurred to me.

I'm amazed by how many some others work with...including many that I suspect they don't need, and I wonder how many users realize how many icons Apple places by default, but not out of necessity, that can be removed?

Originally Posted by joemikeb
ALTERNATELY: either reducing the system font size or choosing a more compact system font can do the same thing.
I may have know how to do both a long time ago, but I need a refresher course, please.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #58981 06/22/21 01:20 AM
OP Offline

OMG, unchecking the develop option did it! But I like being able to use the develop menu and want it handy.

Here is where I am confused. On Safari I have two more icons on the right than I do on STP and have no problem getting the sound and B/T icons to stay on the menu. I also have the develop menu on the menu bar.

By reducing the system font size do you mean where it says: Never use font smaller than ....? Because it's only a 9 on STP and a 10 on Safari. I'd rather change the size of the system fonts than give up the develop menu. Is there another way to do this? Change the font size? I read that I should do this: Select View from the Menu Bar, then select Show View Options. In the View Options window, select the drop-down menu for Text size and choose a font size up to 16pt. But when I select View there is no "show view options" there.

The menu bar belongs to the system and with the exception of the Apple menu at the far left end, the space on the bar is allocated between the current foreground application starting from the left and the various system icons starting from the right. If there are too many icons, some will be dropped off and since the foreground Apple's menu has priority, those will come from the system icons toward the right end. It may be your volume icon has simply been squeezed out by one too many icons. Try this to get it back…
  1. On the menu bar click on Safari Technology Preview > Preferences > Advanced
  2. At the bottom of that window "Show Develop menu in menu bar" is checked by default —uncheck it

This will free up room in the menu bar for more system icons and hopefully will restore the sound icon.

ALTERNATELY: either reducing the system font size or choosing a more compact system font can do the same thing. Whatever it takes to free up space on the menu bar.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58982 06/22/21 02:16 AM

Why don't you post screenshots of your complete menu bar in both Safari and STP? They'll quantify things better than your descriptions.

More: By the way, Apple has dramatically increased the space between the icons on the right side of your menu bar in Big Sur, so some planning may be in order. You may need an app such as Bartender.

Last edited by artie505; 06/22/21 02:40 AM. Reason: More

plantsower #58983 06/22/21 03:23 AM

Since the original OS X Public beta I have used the freeware Marcel Bresink’s freeware Tinkertool to custom tailer the various typefaces and pitch used for the various system fonts. Try it you will like it. Be aware that too big a pitch or you glitzy a typeface can make the screen hard to read, but Tinkertool can always set everything back to default.

Don’t confuse the system fonts used in menus, etc on your Mac with the fonts used. In websites The are different animals and one Is controlled by your system the other by code downloaded with the web content, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript but with some scaling limits set in your browser. You were trying to control the system fonts with your browser and that will not work Tinkertool can control the system fonts.

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/22/21 03:44 AM. Reason: Better explanation

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58984 06/22/21 04:25 AM
OP Offline

[quote=joemikeb]Since the original OS X Public beta I have used the freeware Marcel Bresink’s freeware Tinkertool to custom tailer the various typefaces and pitch used for the various system fonts. Try it you will like it. Be aware that too big a pitch or you glitzy a typeface can make the screen hard to read, but Tinkertool can always set everything back to default. OK, I will d/l it. I'm surprised I couldn't control the fonts from the Mac itself.

Can you explain why I had to delete the develop menu in STP when old Safari accommodates the develop menu plus 2 extra icons on the right side? I really don't see a difference in the fonts between the two browsers.

Thanks, JoeMike

Last edited by plantsower; 06/22/21 04:25 AM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58985 06/22/21 04:31 AM

Before and after screenshots of both your Safari and STP menu bars may answer that question, Rita.

You've got us working blind!

artie505 #58986 06/22/21 04:38 AM
OP Offline

Well, since I removed the develop option the menu now will accommodate my bluetooth and sound icons. Unfortunately, I can't get the blue tooth to work with my earphones on STP but it works fine on Firefox so I will just use them there when I need them.

I downloaded Tinkertool per JoeMike's advice but unfortunately I can't figure out how to use it and I just don't want to think about it anymore. frown

Why don't you post screenshots of your complete menu bar in both Safari and STP? They'll quantify things better than your descriptions.

More: By the way, Apple has dramatically increased the space between the icons on the right side of your menu bar in Big Sur, so some planning may be in order. You may need an app such as Bartender.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #58987 06/22/21 04:40 AM
OP Offline

Sorry! Maybe tomorrow if I'm up to it. I'm disgusted right now and don't want to deal with it.

Before and after screenshots of both your Safari and STP menu bars may answer that question, Rita.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58988 06/22/21 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
Can you explain why I had to delete the develop menu in STP when old Safari accommodates the develop menu plus 2 extra icons on the right side? I really don't see a difference in the fonts between the two browsers.
I have no idea what the specific reason is for STP to use more space on the menu bar than Safari, and it would take several semester hours to exhaust the possibilities. What I do know is STP is using more space. and that can be dealt with. I just downloaded a TinkerTool update and it's ability to manipulate fonts has been dramatically reduced, it used to allow specifying both typeface and pitch for Applications, Fixed-Pitch, System, Massages, labels, help tags, Window title bars, Utility window title bars. You can still specify the pitch for all of those but only the Application and Fix-pitch typefaces. Font pitch (height of a character above the line) gives some control but switching to a compact or condensed typeface would probably be more effective.

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/22/21 02:43 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58989 06/22/21 04:36 PM
OP Offline

Font pitch (height of a character above the line) gives some control but switching to a compact or condensed typeface would probably be more effective. [/quote]

Just how do I do that with Tinkertool? Thanks. If it's a simple step by step process, I will try it. If not, I will deal with it by just bringing back the develop menu when I need it. Thanks, JoeMike for all your help.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #58990 06/22/21 05:01 PM
OP Offline

STP before removal of develop in menu

STP after develop removal

Regular Safari menu bar with a few more icons

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58991 06/22/21 05:47 PM

Clearly (hah!) the words "Safari Technology Preview" (compared to just "Safari") and "Develop" took up enough inch space on the menu bar that it squeezed out the icons you wanted. Interesting occurrence. wink

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #58992 06/22/21 05:48 PM
OP Offline

Right. If that's it, they should have abbreviated it or used a smaller font.

Originally Posted by Ira L

Clearly (hah!) the words "Safari Technology Preview" (compared to just "Safari") and "Develop" took up enough inch space on the menu bar that it squeezed out the icons you wanted. Interesting occurrence. wink

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58993 06/22/21 05:52 PM

If you really want it all now, try Bartender. Among other things, it gives you a menu bar icon that, when clicked on, gives you other menu bar icons of your choice. Although I have not used it, it seems a great way to show more menu icons when there is no space for them.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #58994 06/22/21 06:32 PM

🤦🏻‍♂️ Obviously I was so busy looking at the trees I didn't notice I was in the forest. Color my face red blush

The font on the menu bar is beyond the control of the application. It is set by macOS and any change will effect every app that uses the menu bar.

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #58995 06/22/21 06:33 PM
OP Offline

Yes, but it requires Big Sur. I looked it up yesterday.

If you really want it all now, try Bartender. Among other things, it gives you a menu bar icon that, when clicked on, gives you other menu bar icons of your choice. Although I have not used it, it seems a great way to show more menu icons when there is no space for them.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #58996 06/22/21 06:34 PM
OP Offline

Right, so I will just wing it regarding the Develop menu. smile

🤦🏻‍♂️ Obviously I was so busy looking at the trees I didn't notice I was in the forest. Color my face red blush

The font on the menu bar is beyond the control of the application. It is set by macOS and any change will effect every app that uses the menu bar.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58997 06/22/21 06:37 PM

Just what I've been expecting (in one way or another).

First off, not that it matters, but I've got no idea how you managed to get "Debug" in your Safari menu bar, or how you got rid of "Notifications."

And here's how I believe you can get "Debug" back where you want it in STP:

Make your Date & Time icon considerably smaller by editing the info it displays in System Prefs > Date & Time or with a 3rd party app. (Do you really need to show the month and AM/PM?)

Make your battery icon considerably smaller by editing the info it displays (control-click on the icon) or with a third party app. (Couldn't you live without battery %, i.e. by eye?)

By way of comparison, here's what my icons look like. (Date & Time is Itsycal [Donationware]: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/49674/itsycal, and Battery is SlimBatteryMonitor [Donationware]: https://www.orange-carb.org/SBM.)

And as you think this through, remember that Apple has increased the space between icons by a considerable amount (too much, in my opinion) in Big Sur, so you'll need to deal with this stuff later, if not now.

Bottom line, though, is that Apple should have realized that "Safari Technology Preview" takes up waaay too much menu bar space and offered an alternative option. (Also, the amount of space that Apple's battery icon takes up has been an ongoing evoker of complaints for - more or less - ever.)

Oops! Crossed with Ira.

plantsower #58998 06/22/21 06:52 PM

Just how do I do that with Tinkertool? Thanks. If it's a simple step by step process, I will try it. If not, I will deal with it by just bringing back the develop menu when I need it. Thanks, JoeMike for all your help.[/color]
  1. Quit STP
  2. Download and install TinkerTool 7 which is the correct version for Catalina.
  3. Launch TinkerTool 7 and on the Tool bar select Fonts
  4. Select the Font category you want to change then click on "Change"
  5. From the list of Typefaces displayed choose one you think would be appropriate then specify a point size (you will see examples on the screen) I suggest something like SF Compact Display or Helvetica Neue if you have them on your system but if not any compact sans serif font should do.
  6. When you have adjusted all the fonts, quit TinkerTool 7
  7. Launch STP and see how the changes worked out.
  8. Repeat until you get something you are satisfied with. (This is the kind of project that can go on for a long time until you get something you like and can live with for the next few years.

— Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard