for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TechTool Pro 14
#58787 05/31/21 12:27 AM
OP Offline

TechTool Pro 14 with support for M1 Macs is out. The upgrade price from TTP 13 is $49 and full price $129.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: TechTool Pro 14
joemikeb #58791 05/31/21 01:48 AM

Huh?

How can TTP manipulate the new locked down system volume in which everything it used to manipulate is now located?

Or is its current functionality totally changed from its original functionality?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #58796 05/31/21 12:38 PM
OP Offline

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but you can read what TTP 14 purports to do here. It isn't worth the upgrade price to me. Most of it is stuff I haven't needed or used in years and the rest is covered by dedicated apps that offer more features.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58805 06/01/21 08:35 AM

I'm going back to TTP 6 because it's the version I had, and I'm wondering how much of its functionality is either no longer possible or no longer necessary as a result of, possibly on top of earlier OS changes, Apple's having locked down the system volume? (I'm not up to doing a side by side comparison of v 6 and v 14 on my own.)

Originally Posted by Tech Tool Pro 6
Clone a volume (Figure 2; Disk Utility can do this, too, but with fewer options);
Perform a surface scan of a hard drive, checking every byte for bad blocks;
Perform a SMART check of a hard drive, confirming that the on-board electronics are working and properly reporting drive health (Figure 3; Disk Utility can do this, too, but with less information on results);
Perform a check of volume directory corruption (again, Disk Utility can do this, too, but with less detailed results);
Perform a check of file integrity;
Perform a memory test of RAM (Figure 4);
Perform a check of video memory;
Rebuild and repair a volume directory;
Defragment a drive (Mac OS X does this automatically, but not with the same manic sense of completeness);
Optimize a volume to consolidate free space;
Recover files from a damaged volume, or in certain cases, from the trash;
Securely erase data (Disk Utility can do this, too, with fewer options);
Enable or disable file system journaling (Disk Utility can do this as well);
Verify and repair disk permissions (Disk Utility does this, too, but with less detailed results)
Scan your local networks, and report on all devices found, their IP address, and what services and ports are active (Figure 5);
Perform a check of your monitor and verification of iSight functions;
Perform a check of your sound system and speech synthesis functions;
Create an eDrive (electronic drive partition that can be used as an emergency startup partition; Lion automatically creates an emergency startup partition);
Offer detailed, exportable reports on all test functions.

In other words, does it still provide the troubleshooting functionality that made it a more or less "must have," or has that functionality fallen by the wayside and been replaced by attractive but less useful options? (And the same goes for DiskWarrior and Drive Genius.)

When TTP was available on disc only because Apple wouldn't allow a d/l of the boot sequence, paying the upgrade price was almost mandatory, but since it became available as a d/l, there's been no need to pay for new versions before you needed them.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #58807 06/01/21 02:46 PM
OP Offline

An impressively thorough analysis Artie.

My thinking is less analytical and more intuitive. Back when TTP, Diskwarrior, and Drive Genius were first released having one, or more, of them readily available was essential because damaged volume structures were an all too common occurrence, Disk Utility's repair functions were notoriously weak, and disk and file optimization were essential to HD performance. That was then. Now it has been well over a decade since I have encountered a damaged volume structure, disk and file optimization of SSDs has, if anything, a negative effect on their performance, and the only near-unique feature I find valuable in TTP is the detailed S.M.A.R.T. reports and Micromat's own Drive Scope does a better job at that (although the current version of Drive Scope crashes on launch on my M1 Mac mini running macOS 11.5 beta and is IMO pricey for a one-trick-pony). Not to say that Micromat has not done a good job with TTP rather that it and its competitors Diskwarrior and Drive Genius are no longer the essentials they once were. I would really like to be able to justify the new version out of loyalty to a product and its developer, I have trusted and relied on for so long, but to me the value is simply no longer there and certainly not at that price. 😞

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58827 06/03/21 03:51 PM
OP Offline

RE: Drive Scope Updates

Micromat turned two updates to Drive Scope around in less than 24 hours and the third version finally worked on my M1 Mac mini. It is still a one trick pony but that trick is providing the best predictor of NVME, SSD, and HD failure available anywhere, and has for several years been the main reason I kept updating Tech Tool Pro. Whether that is worth $50 new/ $20 upgrade or not is a situational decision.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58876 06/12/21 07:53 AM

I think this is an appropriate moment to once again mention DriveDx.

artie505 #58878 06/12/21 01:28 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by artie505
I think this is an appropriate moment to once again mention DriveDx.

Good point, especially since DriveScope is not fully compatible with M1 yet and while it correctly identifies the correct information for each of my drives it shows the NVMe Data for the internal drive for one of the external drives. The internal drive and the other external drive are correctly reported. As I chose not to upgrade to TTP 14, I don't know if it is correct or not. As an aside the drive that is incorrectly reported contains a bootable clone of the internal drive so there is a possibility the ASR utility also clones the S.M.A.R.T. data as well. 🤷‍♂️

THIS JUST IN: The same error occurs on a second Samsung X5 that has an installed copy of macOS although it was previously a clone. confused

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/12/21 01:57 PM. Reason: New information

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard