FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
System has run out of application memory
#58814 06/01/21 05:24 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

only with my brand new Laptop I'm getting this message occasionally. Total BS and don't have that many apps on the Laptop. Its mainly for email and internet. And it's brand new? Never seen this ever before, not even on old 9 years old Laptop i'm selling. I can send screenshot, but any ideas on this? thanks.

The last incident was Chrome lighlighted.

Re: System has run out of application memory
kevs #58816 06/01/21 09:14 PM

I should have asked you hardware configuration details in your other thread. 🙄

I have not encountered any memory problems on my M1 Mac mini with 16GB of memory and I often have anywhere from six to eight apps all running at the same time, but apparently application memory is not an uncommon problem with Big Sur on some laptops. I did have a minor issue with running out of storage that was caused by APFS snapshots which in turn could have resulted in application memory issues due to a lack of room for swap files, but that was solved, hopefully for good, in macOS 11.4 and I am now on MacOS 11.5 beta. After new installs or updates of Big Sur (macOS 11.x) there is sometimes a period of up to a few days while the system is doing a lot of behind the scenes shifting things around that can eat a lot of memory, but that should go away after a while. Both Chrome and Safari have been implicated in memory leaks (I use Safari Technology Preview) but that could just be because they are two of the most often used apps on any system. This article from SetApp has several memory management tips you might look at.

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/01/21 09:19 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58817 06/01/21 11:11 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Jue, well real odd as new laptop and doing hardly anything, but will read the article...

kevs #58821 06/02/21 04:11 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe specs are whatever comes with the brand new Macbook Air.

So this is odd right. Chrome seems be culptril, still never saw this message in 9 years of having the older macbook air!

That link has software but overpriced and never ending $9 month.

kevs #58823 06/02/21 04:37 PM

Did you look at Activity Monitor to see if something specific (you suspect Chrome) is eating up memory?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #58824 06/02/21 04:52 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira, thanks, I'll try remember to do that, but the box that comes up has Chrom lighlighted.. shows apps. Absurd, brand now machine. Hardly use anything on it' just for internet, email.. and old one never had this message ever.

kevs #58825 06/03/21 01:41 PM

Kevs,

If the MB Air M1 is an 8GB Mac, then what you are seeing is the result of a memory leak in the Google Chrome browser application....there have been lots of discussions concerning exactly that issue across other forums.

Check for an update to your Chrome application often as there have been many adjustments since the M1 Macs have been released and not all of them have been fully effective. Once Google gets the code right in their browser application, you should stop seeing the "run out of application memory" error.

FWIW, the 16GB version of M1 Mac is seeing this same issue, but only under heavier usage.

OBTW, what used to be normal using your older MacBook and the previous versions of Google Chrome is not applicable to the current hardware and software that you are using even though the NAMES might be similar.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #58829 06/03/21 08:38 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Maniac, thanks. great, I would think this is Chromes fault, and glad you confirmed that. Hence, there is nothing for me to do. I never check for update, why do I assume Chrome is always current and updated? (maybe because I'm only logged into my Google account)

Ok just did about, says it's updating now, some feature to always have updated, will look at...

bTW on my dektop getting this: what mean, not saying what version is up

xGoogle Chrome may not be able to keep itself updated
Learn more
Version 90.0.4430.212 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Then link is this, all over my head.
https://support.google.com/chrome/a...01-551772525&p=update_error&rd=1

Last edited by kevs; 06/03/21 08:44 PM.
kevs #58830 06/04/21 04:45 PM

Keys, you might try switching from Chrome to Chromium which is the open source version of Chrome. It is roughly the Chrome equivalent of Safari Technology Preview where all the new features, and fixes, are tried out before they “go live” in the official version. You would have to manually keep up to date with the frequent updates, but fixes such as the current memory leak will appear there long before they make it to Chrome. I started using Safari Technology Preview years ago rather than writing for s bug fix in Safari, and I have never looked back and Chromium might do the same for you.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58831 06/04/21 05:58 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, don't think work, I'll ask, owner of Synkmark, who I use to sort and sync bookmarks across all browsers about Chromium.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard