Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
VPN
#58677 05/13/21 11:31 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

OS 10.13.6

I have never considered running VPN all the time but after reading an article today I'm having second thoughts.

Before I make a decision, I would like to hear the pros and the cons, especially the cons. Some VPN's are better than others. I have NordVPN.

I mention that because some VPNs have better security than others and perhaps a response will differ depending on which you one you have.

I have just discovered that my VPN interferes with my sending emails.

jaybass.

Last edited by jaybass; 05/13/21 08:05 PM. Reason: new info

Last edited by cyn; 05/14/21 05:22 PM. Reason: Topic moved from Mac Applications forum to the Networking forum.

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: VPN
jaybass #58679 05/14/21 03:14 PM

You can find a ton of advice and commentary on the internet and the following is just my opinion and in no way should it be considered Gospel.

BACKGROUND:
  1. There are multiple VPN protocols
  2. VPN providers typically offer access via several different protocols according to which VPN server is chosen
  3. Any VPN will negatively impact performance to some degree depending on the protocol, server speed, server load, etc.
  4. VPN networks disguise your actual location (which makes their use popular, in countries with oppressive political regimes)
  5. VPN networking provides message encryption from point to point, but not neccessarily end to end
  6. VPN does NOT hide or disguise your browser signature so while VPN may disguise your physical location it does NOT prevent your internet activity from being tracked.

PROs
  • Provides additional layers of network security

CONs
  • Performance impact which can feel really severe if you have a slow internet connection
  • Cost (I lucked into a one time good deal of a lifetime subscription to CyberGhost for the cost of a few months months use. It didn't start out so good, but over time it has grown and expanded to be very good.)

CONSIDERATIONS
  • Cost
  • Protocols supported
  • Performance (Always try BEFORE you buy)
  • How many servers and where they are located (the more the better)
  • Cost
  • Other services offered. (A growing number of security products are offering VPN as an add-on. For Example MalwareBytes is offering VPN as an add-on to their anti-malware product)
  • Support for Mobile and Wearable devices ie. iOS and iPadOS
  • Number of devices supported (five is common)
  • Cost

NOTE
  • There is no reason a VPN should interfere with email or an email client. At least I have never encountered any problem with CyberGhost, or MalwareBytes VPN.
  • I mention CyberGhost and MalwareBytes VPN not as a recommendation but because they are the two VPNs I have the most and most recent experience with.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58682 05/14/21 08:07 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I chose NordVPN because it is fully encrypted ( next generation), unlimited bandwidth, ultra fast servers especially in Canada. No logging of your internet activity, hides your IP address and protects from online surveillance.

I have not noticed any difference in speed. There are 5400 servers.

I find the cost to be very reasonable if taken over a couple of years.

Regarding the sending of email interference, I remember from several months ago that it did the same thing. I just won't try to send any emails with my VPN engaged.

I believe NordVPN supports 5 or maybe 6 devices.

Considering everything, I think what I have is very good.

One final question, could it be detrimental to have it running all the time?

jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #58683 05/14/21 09:24 PM

NordVPN has been a major provider with a great reputation for a long time, but I'll bet I beat you on cost (IIRC the CyberGhost lifetime subscription was under $50 but that was a marketing fluke when they were a startup). 😀 I am curious about your email issue. CyberGhost passes email both ways with no problem. If I were you, I would contact NordVPN Tech Support.

As far as running VPN all the time I am unaware of any problems that might create except you won't be able to send or receive email, unless you can work something out with NordVPN Tech Support, and you may encounter occasional security issues with some web sites that are location sensitive. My bank, for example, knows my browser signature and where I am located (or at least my regular IP address) and If I change/update the browser or go through a VPN it requires additional identity verification.

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/14/21 09:27 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58684 05/14/21 10:07 PM

In my case, Nord VPN hasn't interfered with either sending or receiving emails....but I am using the Apple provided Mail app - no third party email application here.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
joemikeb #58691 05/15/21 11:29 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I received an email from nordVPN suggesting I use port 587 to solve the problem of sending emails with their site in use. /Users/abc/Desktop/Mail settings.png/Users/abc/Desktop/Mail settings 1.png

In mail settings 1, the auto manage connection settings box is ticked. In mail settings 2, it is not ticked and we see port 587 is chosen. Does that mean 587 is being used in both instances?

I'm thinking that a different port number is used in mail settings 1 other wise I should be able to send emails with VPN engaged. I'm not sure if dragging those 2 screen shots will show. Perhaps some advice there if not.

jaybass

Last edited by jaybass; 05/15/21 11:33 PM. Reason: correction

jaybass #58692 05/15/21 11:35 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Disregard

jaybass #58693 05/15/21 11:37 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

oh well

jaybass #58694 05/15/21 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by jaybass
I'm not sure if dragging those 2 screen shots will show. Perhaps some advice there if not.
To post a screenshot or other type of image...
  1. Go to https://imgur.com/upload.
  2. Either drag your image into the window or browse for it.
  3. Click on "Copy" in the next window to copy your image's URL to your clipboard.
  4. Create a link using FTM's "Create a link..." tags...2nd icon from the left.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jaybass #58703 05/16/21 11:00 PM

587 is the standard port for IMAP (incoming) servers and 993 is the most commonly used port for the SMTP (outgoing) server. Unchecking the auto manage option in Mail will reveal the actual port in use for that account. However, not all email providers adhere to the standard incoming and outgoing port settings. A few providers, like AOL and Yahoo, have in the past been somewhat notorious for using non-standard settings (there are historic reasons for that relating to ill conceived legislative efforts) but I don't know if that is still true or not. The preferred incoming and outgoing port settings should be available on your provider's web. I would be surprised if NordVPN had problems with almost any email provider but if yours is too far off beat anything is possible.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58704 05/16/21 11:24 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for that bit of info, If I cannot use my email with VPN running, I will just have to live with it
I have for long enough already' The 587 port number was what NordVPN suggested.
jaybass

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard