for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Big Sir or Not??
artie505 #58244 03/09/21 06:22 PM

By the way, it looks like a newer version of Carbon Copy Cloner was released on February 1st:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7032/carbon-copy-cloner

That's good to know (I never use beta versions of software, especially something as critical as CCC).

MartyByrde #58249 03/10/21 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by MartyByrde
NO, I AM NOT KIDDING!

First, I am not a software engineer (although I am a former software developer, and used a different language, different applications, and different platforms). But all along, Apple has been touted as being so much more innovative than Microsoft, including the ease of using a Mac over a PC. Recently, it's very, very clear that Apple is moving away from that.

Secondly, unlike you, I do not listen to a tooth family, nor do I put a quarter under my pillow for the tooth fairy, nor do I listen to Rudy Giuliani. As it is, you are the one who lives in NY, not me! Hence, you would listen to him.

Third, and you FINALLY state something that makes sense, yes, I am pi**ed off that Apple is trying to kill off SD and CCC. Until Big Sur, everything was fine, but since then, not so good.

Fourth, regarding that snafu by Apple with V10.15.5 of Catalina, note what Mike Bombich says about it:

https://bombich.com/blog/2020/05/27...ts-bootable-backups-weve-got-you-covered

So, besides David N., even Mike B. moaned about it. You state that this snafu "nor was it the least bit relevant to any Big Sur problems". Yes, as far as running Big Sur, that is true. But, 1) it was very relevant to making backups with SD or CCC and Catalina, and 2) it showed just how callous and narrow minded Apple could be. If not, how could they fix it so easily in V10.15.6?

1. You've once again presented what appears to be your opinion as fact.

If it's indeed fact, please substantiate it as such, and if it's merely your opinion, please refer to any accurate report of the aftermath of the recent election for an example of fallout resultant from opinions being misrepresented as facts.

2. Inasmuch as you're a Trump supporter, I'm certain that Rudy's played a significantly more important part in your life recently than in New Yorkers' lives. (PS: You need to do some reading up on the the tooth fairy, and you'll do yourself a lot of good if you refrain from silly, pointless comebacks which demean you more than their intended targets.)

3. How can you seriously believe that Apple is trying to deliberately undermine their own business, which is what "kill[ing] off SD and CCC" would do?

4. I'm certain that it's totally fair to say that Apple fixed the 10.15.5 snafu as expeditiously in 10.15.6 as they fixed the 10.3.3 snafu in 10.3.4 because both were inadvertent coding errors.

You're taking this whole cloning issue way too seriously, not to mention personally.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #58250 03/10/21 02:44 PM

REMINDER

With the exception of the Lounge, FineTunedMac forums are focused on troubleshooting issues and while it is inevitable that an element of personal opinion or preference may creep into a thread, proper etiquette is to claim your opinion as such. Prefacing a statement with a phrase like "In my opinion…" can make a fruitful discussion out of a potentially damaging argument. In like manner, assigning motives or blame to someone else's statements or opinions is never acceptable and can result in temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/10/21 05:07 PM. Reason: typo

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58251 03/10/21 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
REMINDER

With the exception of the Lounge, FineTunedMac forums are focused on troubleshooting issues and while it is inevitable that an element of personal opinion or preference may creep into a thread, proper etiquette is to claim your opinion as such. Prefacing a statement with a phrase like "In my opinion…" can make a fruitful discussion out of a potentially damaging argument. In like manner, assigning motives or blame to someone else's statements or opinions is never acceptable and can result in temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.

Could not agree more. And using unnecessary phrases involving the tooth fairy and Rudy Giuliani are definitely immature and add nothing to the conversation. And it looks like artie505 did it again above. I'll answer his post soon, and some of my statements will need to be in a "like" tone, given he made some more derogatory ones that are again not necessary, nor applicable.

MartyByrde #58252 03/10/21 09:35 PM

I'll answer his post soon, and some of my statements will need to be in a "like" tone, given he made some more derogatory ones that are again not necessary, nor applicable.
Two wrongs do not make a right.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #58253 03/10/21 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
NO, I AM NOT KIDDING!

First, I am not a software engineer (although I am a former software developer, and used a different language, different applications, and different platforms). But all along, Apple has been touted as being so much more innovative than Microsoft, including the ease of using a Mac over a PC. Recently, it's very, very clear that Apple is moving away from that.

Secondly, unlike you, I do not listen to a tooth family, nor do I put a quarter under my pillow for the tooth fairy, nor do I listen to Rudy Giuliani. As it is, you are the one who lives in NY, not me! Hence, you would listen to him.

Third, and you FINALLY state something that makes sense, yes, I am pi**ed off that Apple is trying to kill off SD and CCC. Until Big Sur, everything was fine, but since then, not so good.

Fourth, regarding that snafu by Apple with V10.15.5 of Catalina, note what Mike Bombich says about it:

https://bombich.com/blog/2020/05/27...ts-bootable-backups-weve-got-you-covered

So, besides David N., even Mike B. moaned about it. You state that this snafu "nor was it the least bit relevant to any Big Sur problems". Yes, as far as running Big Sur, that is true. But, 1) it was very relevant to making backups with SD or CCC and Catalina, and 2) it showed just how callous and narrow minded Apple could be. If not, how could they fix it so easily in V10.15.6?

1. You've once again presented what appears to be your opinion as fact.

If it's indeed fact, please substantiate it as such, and if it's merely your opinion, please refer to any accurate report of the aftermath of the recent election for an example of fallout resultant from opinions being misrepresented as facts.

2. Inasmuch as you're a Trump supporter, I'm certain that Rudy's played a significantly more important part in your life recently than in New Yorkers' lives. (PS: You need to do some reading up on the the tooth fairy, and you'll do yourself a lot of good if you refrain from silly, pointless comebacks which demean you more than their intended targets.)

3. How can you seriously believe that Apple is trying to deliberately undermine their own business, which is what "kill[ing] off SD and CCC" would do?

4. I'm certain that it's totally fair to say that Apple fixed the 10.15.5 snafu as expeditiously in 10.15.6 as they fixed the 10.3.3 snafu in 10.3.4 because both were inadvertent coding errors.

You're taking this whole cloning issue way too seriously, not to mention personally.

Man, you sure know how to veer off topic, I'll give you that!

First of all, again I repeat the true fact that Apple has always been touted as being more innovative than Microsoft. Even to this day, that belief still prevails. But unless you live on a desert island, it's very clear that Apple has been moving more and more away from making things easy and simple. While yes security issues have been more and more relevant and important, still I firmly believe Apple could continue to do things that would be transparent to a user and also continue to foster the ease of use of Macs. I don't have a software engineer's solution to it, but I am just relying on observing and experiencing what Apple has done on the past. I am sure there are plenty of others who feel the same way.

Secondly, i have never indicated that I am a Trump supporter. In fact, on some of my posts that I have made in response to others, I have "bashed" Trump. Similarly with Rudy. In fact, to be truthful, I have not followed his actions (especially recently) much at all. And Trump, Rudy, and the tooth fairy have nothing to do with this discussion. In fact, you are trying to make it relevant, but it clearly is not. It certainly makes you look misinformed. Also, I challenge you to show where I have indicated being a Trump supporter, and that I follow Rudy. Finally, the tooth fairy is clearly not relevant.

Third, regarding "killing off SD and CCC", while Apple might not be directly showing that, it seems clear that with these issues regarding asr, M1-based Macs, etc. and SD and CCC, it sure seems to be the case. Plus, this has been going on ever since Big Sur was released in November. One would think Apple would have fixed it by now.

Fourth, it actually took Apple about 1 and 1/2 months to release OS 10.15.6 after OS 10.15.5. I would not classify that as being expeditious, especially considering how it affected all the folks that use SD and CCC.

Finally, this cloning issue is serious. What it could lead to is not being able to backup/clone a Mac anymore and have a reliable way to starting up from such a backup. I'm sure I do not speak for myself when I say that being able to restart your Mac from such a clone is convenient, efficient, and at times can be a sure fire way of easily recovering from a disaster. That is what I am "b**ching" about. And yes, it is personal also, as that is the way I want to continue on with my backups.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 03/10/21 09:52 PM.
joemikeb #58254 03/10/21 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I'll answer his post soon, and some of my statements will need to be in a "like" tone, given he made some more derogatory ones that are again not necessary, nor applicable.
Two wrongs do not make a right.

True, but there are times when it is necessary to point things out that need to be pointed out.

In any event, as long as politics and the tooth fairy are not re-introduced into this discussion, we can get back on topic.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 03/10/21 09:49 PM.
MartyByrde #58255 03/10/21 11:38 PM

"We can get back on topic." What topic was that again?

This thread has become rather unamusing which is a pity because I was simply looking for nuanced advice from experienced operators about a sensible time to upgrade to Big Sur. I think I will stop following it. And upgrade.

andycap #58256 03/11/21 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by andycap
"We can get back on topic." What topic was that again?

This thread has become rather unamusing which is a pity because I was simply looking for nuanced advice from experienced operators about a sensible time to upgrade to Big Sur. I think I will stop following it. And upgrade.

Sounds good. You might want to wait a little longer, as V11.3 is currently at beta 3, and it should be released soon. V11.2 seems fine, although I have had some issues with Tech Tool Pro. But other than that, it seems stable and works well with all my other third party applications (except SuperDuper!). I will move to V11.3 (from V10.15.7 of Catalina) once it is released (assuming testing with Tech Tool Pro works as it needs to).

Last edited by MartyByrde; 03/11/21 02:30 AM.
MartyByrde #58258 03/11/21 09:02 AM

Finally, this cloning issue is serious. What it could lead to is not being able to backup/clone a Mac anymore and have a reliable way to starting up from such a backup. I'm sure I do not speak for myself when I say that being able to restart your Mac from such a clone is convenient, efficient, and at times can be a sure fire way of easily recovering from a disaster. That is what I am "b**ching" about. And yes, it is personal also, as that is the way I want to continue on with my backups.

Finally, an opinion not presented as a fact, and I agree with it wholeheartedly.

Lack of ability to easily create bootable clones would be a disaster, both for users and Apple, which is why I don't believe the current situation was created deliberately to "kill off" CCC and SD!.

I wouldn't for a second put it past Apple to see an app they like and put its dev out of business by building hir functionality into macOS, but the notion that they'd deliberately code critical functionality out of existence is beyond comprehension.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #58263 03/11/21 06:03 PM

Finally, an opinion not presented as a fact, and I agree with it wholeheartedly.

Finally, a mature, well informed statement! But you still have not provided ?justification? with your statement that I am a Trump supporter. Why not? It would be good if you did, as it is patently false.

Lack of ability to easily create bootable clones would be a disaster, both for users and Apple, which is why I don't believe the current situation was created deliberately to "kill off" CCC and SD!.

I wouldn't for a second put it past Apple to see an app they like and put its dev out of business by building hir functionality into macOS, but the notion that they'd deliberately code critical functionality out of existence is beyond comprehension.

While Apple might not show "directly" that they are trying to kill off SD and CCC, they sure are taking their sweet time with trying to ?get it fixed?. Remember, this has been going on since OS 10.15.5 was released (Yes, it was corrected in V10.15.6, but it reared its ugly head again when Big Sur was released back in November, and is still present).

One thing I am impressed with is that Mike Bombich and his staff were able to successfully develop a version of CCC that gets around this mess for Intel-based Macs. That would seem to mean Apple could help in getting the issue resolved, even for M1-based Macs. But from what I see, they don't seem very motivated to do just that.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 03/11/21 06:13 PM.
MartyByrde #58265 03/11/21 06:18 PM

But you still have not provided ?justification? with your statement that I am a Trump supporter. Why not? It would be good if you did, as it is patently false.
Why keep this pot boiling? There's nothing to be gained and, in fact, it goes against your own earlier comment.

….as long as politics and the tooth fairy are not re-introduced into this discussion, we can get back on topic.
In my opinion, time to move on and "....get back on topic".

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #58271 03/11/21 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
But you still have not provided ?justification? with your statement that I am a Trump supporter. Why not? It would be good if you did, as it is patently false.
Why keep this pot boiling? There's nothing to be gained and, in fact, it goes against your own earlier comment.

….as long as politics and the tooth fairy are not re-introduced into this discussion, we can get back on topic.
In my opinion, time to move on and "....get back on topic".

I am not re-introducing politics. I just feel badly "wronged" by his baseless, uncalled for, false accusation, and feel he needs to step up and address it. But I suspect he will not (and unfortunately it might be the case for others). As the old saying goes, "No guts, no glory".

Oh well, yes, back on topic.

MartyByrde #58276 03/11/21 09:42 PM

ENOUGH ALREADY. I am locking this thread.

— Albert Einstein
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard