Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links
alternaut #57629 01/20/21 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by alternaut
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
Man, talk about a perfect example of what Tom Hanks said in Forrest Gump: Stupid is as stupid does. Thankfully have not heard anything like that in the US, and specifically in Washington state where we are located. I am making the logical assumption that since we are getting the first dose of the vaccine at a hospital, they have enough (maybe more than enough) for the second dose.
As I mentioned above, not holding back second doses is exactly what the Trump administration did, starting about two weeks ago. That said, I suppose it's (still) up to the states or localities to either keep second doses in reserve, or hope for timely additional shipments. And if you don't mind my saying so, from where I sit it's hard to judge the logic of your assumption about your local hospital's policy... wink
That tactic by the (now defunct) Trump administration does not seem to have happened, as I am not seeing or hearing of many (if any) places running out of the vaccine, and definitely not here in Washington state. And also, with the very recent change the governor announced on Monday regarding both expanding the number of people eligible to receive the vaccine and supply (although that will take some time), just the opposite seems to be the case. And now it looks like some more "outlets" are scheduling the vaccines. That includes the local Safeway pharmacy close to where we live. We actually have typically received our vaccines (Flu, Shingles) from that pharmacy.

As for my assumption about the hospital, they (and other such institutions) have already been giving the vaccine to the first group of qualified individuals (health care workers, etc.) for a couple months. One would think logically that they have more than enough supply of the vaccine available. They are, though, requiring an appointment to get the shot, which my wife and I already have. And I just found out that at the end of the appointment, they will schedule the second one. So, given that, with all due respect, 1 + 1 = 2, they would have the second doses available.

I would not be surprised to see a big rush happen as eligible folks scramble to get the vaccine. Fortunately, my wife and I have that covered, given that we already have our appointments for the vaccine.

MartyByrde #57630 01/20/21 07:16 PM

Maybe Washington state is not running out of vaccine, but New York State definitely has a shortage. I had had an appointment to be vaccinated last week but that was cancelled because there were not enough dosages. My appointment has been rescheduled for tomorrow but my county, although promised 1200 doses, will probably only get 1000. All of NYS is affected.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #57632 01/20/21 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by jchuzi
Maybe Washington state is not running out of vaccine, but New York State definitely has a shortage. I had had an appointment to be vaccinated last week but that was cancelled because there were not enough dosages. My appointment has been rescheduled for tomorrow but my county, although promised 1200 doses, will probably only get 1000. All of NYS is affected.
The next few weeks here in Washington state could be revealing regarding the vaccine. So far, there have been very few, if any, issues up here. But as I mentioned above, with the governor on Monday announcing a more aggressive roll out of the vaccine, the main issues will be 1) how fast can the re-supply of the vaccine happen, 2) how fast and efficient the distribution is, and 3) how many folks actually sign up to get the vaccine. Last week when I visited my cardiologist, and had some lab work done right after the visit, the woman who took my blood said that she is going to wait to get to vaccine, so that she can see what side effects, etc. occur. Although she is not in this next eligible group (like my wife and I), I wonder how prevalent such thinking is.

But once again given that we will be getting the vaccine from a hospital which has already been involved since the beginning with administering the vaccine to eligible "groups", I am confident (and rightfully so) that they have enough for both doses that my wife and I will need.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 01/20/21 09:08 PM.
MartyByrde #57633 01/20/21 11:50 PM

One would think logically that they have more than enough supply of the vaccine available.
Yes....especially since there are several Pfizer plants in the U.S. and Trump decreed that not one dose would leave the country until every American was inoculated.

Last edited by ryck; 01/20/21 11:52 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #57634 01/21/21 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by ryck
One would think logically that they have more than enough supply of the vaccine available.
Yes....especially since there are several Pfizer plants in the U.S. and Trump decreed that not one dose would leave the country until every American was inoculated.
Cannot say anything about that. Also, do not know the current "split" between the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. As I mentioned previously, my PCP has ordered the Moderna vaccine.

MartyByrde #57639 01/21/21 07:30 PM

I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine today and have an appointment for the second dose in 28 days. Hopefully, there won't be any glitches in supply. So far, I feel no effects from the shot.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #57641 01/21/21 08:03 PM

I've got no idea what's going on in NYC.

Early on in the pandemic I got at least one robo-call a week from the NYC Health Department - even got one from a live person - but that ended when things lightened up, and I haven't heard so much as a peep out of them since then, even since the surge began.

I know that my dentist got his first shot on Monday, and I know nothing more about vaccinations than that.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #57647 01/22/21 02:24 AM

I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine today and have an appointment for the second dose in 28 days. Hopefully, there won't be any glitches in supply. So far, I feel no effects from the shot.
Way to go! Hopefully the second dose will be available on February 18th.

MartyByrde #57730 02/01/21 06:15 PM

Well, today is the day my wife and I get the first dose of the vaccine. Sure glad the network we have been using notified me back in January about the availability of appointments to get the vaccine. There have been many horror stories from qualified folks that are having a devil of a time trying to get an appointment. Also, there are some first come, first serve locations, and one of my wife's friends, and another couple, had to wait more than 3 hours for their shot! No way could we endure that!

MartyByrde #57736 02/01/21 11:08 PM

Well, today is the day my wife and I get the first dose of the vaccine. Sure glad the network we have been using notified me back in January about the availability of appointments to get the vaccine. There have been many horror stories from qualified folks that are having a devil of a time trying to get an appointment. Also, there are some first come, first serve locations, and one of my wife's friends, and another couple, had to wait more than 3 hours for their shot! No way could we endure that!

Well, things went quickly and smoothly for my wife and I. We actually arrived about 15 minutes early, but we were able to get in rather quickly, as that facility had things very well organized. They provided the Moderna vaccine, which I was glad to get. I got my shot at 1:03 PM, and my wife got hers at 1:02 PM. We both had to then wait 15 minutes before we could leave. Meanwhile, the staff made the appointment for the second dose. That will be on Thursday, March 4th, at 2:20 PM for both of us.

So, all in all, very smooth. And I did not feel a thing with the shot! In fact, both the flu shot I got back in August, and the second Shingles shot I got back in March, hurt more.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 02/02/21 01:33 AM.
MartyByrde #58107 02/27/21 08:01 PM

I got the second dose of the Moderna vaccine 28 days after the first. The first time, I had no side effects. The second time, I started to feel fatigued and had a sore throat a few hours after the shot. The sore throat disappeared within 30 minutes but the fatigue continued into the next day, when I developed a temperature of 100.5. In addition, I had subliminal nausea and reduced appetite. This sounds worse than it was. The symptoms did not interfere when I had to shovel snow for 3 hours (and I felt better doing that activity than sitting around). All ill effects were gone the next day.

My wife just received the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine and, a day later, her only "complaint" (and that's much too strong a word) is that her arm has a very minor soreness at the injection site. We fully expect that she will have some side effects when she gets the second dose, so we will be prepared.

Some advice from an RN and MD: If you need to take medication to reduce your discomfort, take Tylenol ONLY. DO NOT USE Advil or aspirin. (This applies to generics, naturally.) This advice applies specifically to the COVID vaccine and is not a recommendation for any other use. For the record, I never was ill enough to feel compelled to take Tylenol.

Jon

jchuzi #58110 02/27/21 09:49 PM

I just stumbled across this resource this morning....and although it disclaims full effectiveness for other than a select few states, it was able to show me COVID vaccination availabilities within my geographic region and as such I was able to schedule an initial and 2nd dose appointment immediately.

https://vaccinefinder.org

....it is SOOOO MUCH more effective than the fragmented county by county links and tools that currently serve Oregon!!!!! Each of those separate resources shows only a limited listing of availabilities while completely missing ALL THE OTHER VALID RESOURCES.

..just sayin'....

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
jchuzi #58117 02/28/21 01:01 AM

I got the second dose of the Moderna vaccine 28 days after the first. The first time, I had no side effects. The second time, I started to feel fatigued and had a sore throat a few hours after the shot. The sore throat disappeared within 30 minutes but the fatigue continued into the next day, when I developed a temperature of 100.5. In addition, I had subliminal nausea and reduced appetite. This sounds worse than it was. The symptoms did not interfere when I had to shovel snow for 3 hours (and I felt better doing that activity than sitting around). All ill effects were gone the next day.

My wife just received the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine and, a day later, her only "complaint" (and that's much too strong a word) is that her arm has a very minor soreness at the injection site. We fully expect that she will have some side effects when she gets the second dose, so we will be prepared.

Some advice from an RN and MD: If you need to take medication to reduce your discomfort, take Tylenol ONLY. DO NOT USE Advil or aspirin. (This applies to generics, naturally.) This advice applies specifically to the COVID vaccine and is not a recommendation for any other use. For the record, I never was ill enough to feel compelled to take Tylenol.

Well, my wife and I are getting our second dose of the Moderna Vaccine this coming Thursday March 4th, which will be 31 days since we got the first one. It does seem to depend on the individual as to what side effects will occur. I've talked with some folks that got both doses (one got Moderna, the other Pfizer), and the couple who got the Moderna one had no issues at all, but the person who got the Pfizer one had some (and for some folks at his company who got the Pfizer one, again it was "hit and miss" regarding side effects). The only thing my wife and I experienced after the first dose was some soreness at the area where we got the injection the next day, and for the day after that. My wife also has an appointment with an eye doctor shortly thereafter, so hopefully all will be fine (I think it will be).

After we got that first dose, there was no restriction regarding what pain reliever we could take (we did not need to take anything). We'll see what they tell us on Thursday (we have both Advil and Tylenol). As for aspirin, I do need to take a daily 81 mg tablet for my heart "condition" (everything is fine after getting my stent and TAVR procedures done back in June). I'll remember to ask them about that.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 02/28/21 01:37 AM.
MacManiac #58118 02/28/21 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by MacManiac
I just stumbled across this resource this morning....and although it disclaims full effectiveness for other than a select few states, it was able to show me COVID vaccination availabilities within my geographic region and as such I was able to schedule an initial and 2nd dose appointment immediately.

https://vaccinefinder.org

....it is SOOOO MUCH more effective than the fragmented county by county links and tools that currently serve Oregon!!!!! Each of those separate resources shows only a limited listing of availabilities while completely missing ALL THE OTHER VALID RESOURCES.

..just sayin'....

Well, I am just SO, SO HAPPY that I started using the site for MyChart (https://mychart.catholichealth.net/prd/Authentication/Login?) last May, as I got notified back in mid January that we were eligible to get the vaccine. Immediately, I chose of of their facilities (closest one to where we live), and was able to schedule an appointment without any hassle for both my wife and I (got it for February 1st). And at that appointment, after getting the shot, they scheduled both of us for the second dose (this coming Thursday). But I have heard how difficult it is up here in the Seattle area to get scheduled. Yeah, the State of Washington did set up a mechanism for doing that, but it is a zoo! I tried using it just for fun, and I could not get an appointment ANYWHERE!

BTW, when doing a google search of MyChart, here are the results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=MyC...623j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As can be seen, there are numerous MyChart "sites", depending on the Health Care system. This site is the "basic" one: https://www.mychart.com/

Last edited by MartyByrde; 02/28/21 01:32 AM.
MartyByrde #58124 02/28/21 02:40 PM

Here in Texas you can't get an appointment anywhere without going through the county health system. If you go through Vaccinefinder it will tell you what sites have which vaccine, but you cannot make an appointment and you can only get the vaccine with an appointment and you can only get an appointment going through the county health system. 😡

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58126 02/28/21 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Here in Texas you can't get an appointment anywhere without going through the county health system. If you go through Vaccinefinder it will tell you what sites have which vaccine, but you cannot make an appointment and you can only get the vaccine with an appointment and you can only get an appointment going through the county health system. 😡

Not sure if it will speed things up, but after clicking on that "basic" site for MyChart I mentioned above, and entering "Texas", got a list of numerous Health care providers/networks.

MartyByrde #58133 03/01/21 04:47 PM

Not sure if it will speed things up, but after clicking on that "basic" site for MyChart I mentioned above, and entering "Texas", got a list of numerous Health care providers/networks.
I looked and found that you still must have an appointment to get the vaccine, and only the County health department can issue those appointments.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58135 03/01/21 06:52 PM

I looked and found that you still must have an appointment to get the vaccine, and only the County health department can issue those appointments.

That's a bummer! I did notice that some of those links for Texas were also part of the same network I used, CHI Franciscan. Again, it was smooth for me. And given that we are getting the Moderna vaccine (second shot on Thursday), and they are working on a booster shot for the newer variants, we'll (most likely) get notified through MyChart about its availability.

MartyByrde #58174 03/05/21 01:14 AM

Well, my wife and I got our second Moderna shot about 3 hours ago, and so far, so good. The women who did the injection did say that possibly a fever could happen in about 6 hours. When I asked what can I take for that, she said Aspirin, Tylenol, etc. We'll see. But so far, so good.

MartyByrde #58176 03/05/21 03:53 PM

My wife and I got our first Pfizer shot just before noon yesterday. My wife is complaining of a sore arm, but so far the only reaction I have suffered is sore feet from being on them so long. Both of us commented on how expeditiously and well the entire process had been handled. Then last night we each received a robocall apologizing for running out of time for every one to get their shot yesterday and would we like to reschedule for today. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️ I have no idea what transpired late yesterday afternoon to slow the process, but we declined a second first shot.

In the meantime the responses to our Governor's decision to completely open the state are running roughly 50 to 1 that the Governor is an gibbering idiot whose stupidity and cupidity are exceeded only by our State Attorney General.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58177 03/05/21 04:22 PM

Try not to sugar coat it now.....how do you REALLY feel? blush grin cool

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
joemikeb #58179 03/05/21 05:33 PM

In the meantime the responses to our Governor's decision to completely open the state are running roughly 50 to 1 that the Governor is an gibbering idiot whose stupidity and cupidity are exceeded only by our State Attorney General.
His decision seems to be very Trumpian..... that is, when faced with a political situation that reflects badly (in this case, the governor's role in the power problems), make a major announcement that will divert attention..... even if the decision means more people will die.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #58181 03/05/21 05:46 PM

Well, I am doing OK, although my arm is definitely more sore this time. But my wife is not doing as good. Her body feels sore all over. This is the first time I ever seen her react in a negative way to a vaccine. She is typically stronger than me.

Hopefully it will be over soon for her.

joemikeb #58182 03/05/21 05:51 PM

My wife and I got our first Pfizer shot just before noon yesterday. My wife is complaining of a sore arm, but so far the only reaction I have suffered is sore feet from being on them so long. Both of us commented on how expeditiously and well the entire process had been handled. Then last night we each received a robocall apologizing for running out of time for every one to get their shot yesterday and would we like to reschedule for today. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️ I have no idea what transpired late yesterday afternoon to slow the process, but we declined a second first shot.

Wise move. Obviously a glitch. For us, just like when we got our first shot, the process was smooth and efficient.

I myself think it's crazy what he did. We have not spoken to our youngest son, though, about his thoughts. As it is, I expect we'll eventually need a booster shot, and fortunately Moderna (and Pfizer) are working on one.

joemikeb #58187 03/05/21 08:36 PM

I got the Pfizer jab. The next day, I felt like I've been hit in the arm with a sledge hammer. It was soreness, not pain, and it lasted a day. I felt fine otherwise. Don't know if it was the vaccine or the injection technique.

My wife got the AstraZeneca jab. She felt "frail" in the evening after her shot and went to bed early. Felt fine the next day.

We are both looking forward to our second jabs, but have to wait 12 weeks. Our government has decided to make us wait longer for the second jab so that more people could get their first jab. Makes sense to me.

We get our second jab in April (6th and 16th – different age groups).

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard