FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Big Sir or Not??
plantsower #57917 02/14/21 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by plantsower
...it seems like they don't listen when people give feedback anyway.
My biggest peeve with Apple is that they don't pay attention to minor issues.

In each new version of the OS I find minor glitches that have been perpetuated through multiple versions.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57918 02/14/21 05:01 AM
OP Offline

I know. That's why it's so aggravating when there are a whole host of people complaining, it just makes no difference.

Originally Posted by artie505

In each new version of the OS I find minor glitches that have been perpetuated through multiple versions.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57919 02/14/21 05:47 AM

I know. That's why it's so aggravating when there are a whole host of people complaining, it just makes no difference.

Yeah, one would think Apple would listen to their customers. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case, and it's getting worse and worse.

MartyByrde #57920 02/14/21 06:02 PM
OP Offline

Yep. It's not their baby, it was Jobs' baby and he cared. Sometimes I wish I didn't hate Windows/PCs'Gates so much. I feel trapped but still prefer Apple.

Originally Posted by MartyByrde

Yeah, one would think Apple would listen to their customers. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case, and it's getting worse and worse.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57945 02/16/21 09:35 PM

I've got to back off of my Music bug, Rita.

After paying close attention for a while I've learned that the issue occurs with only one file - my 10 hour white noise recording - which I guess has become corrupted and somehow affects the entire app.

I'll re-record and see what happens. (But don't hold your breath.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57951 02/17/21 12:00 AM
OP Offline

OK, I won't.

I'll re-record and see what happens. (But don't hold your breath.) [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

MartyByrde #57967 02/18/21 05:13 PM

I hear you, Marty!

I am STILL peeved that they removed the MOSAIC SCREENSAVER from back in the "Lion" days. I have no idea why they would bother to remove it from the usual bundle of options which were in the earliest days and remain therein today (e.g. Classic, Shell, Flurry, etc.).

MG2009 #57976 02/18/21 09:42 PM

OK, the second beta of OS 11.3 was released yesterday:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/02/17/apple-seeds-macos-big-sur-11-3-beta-2/

In actuality, there is nothing, at least "on the surface", that helps me with V11.3. But what I am anticipating is help with these issues, previously pointed out by joemikeb:

"I have no experience with Big Sur on Intel Macs and there are definite differences, but from posts I have seen on other product support, web sites macOS 11.2 apparently broke some things associated with external boot drives that were working in 11.1. It appears the problem revolves around changes in the utility used to bless a boot drive. I have also seen reports similar to yours about the version of Disk Utility used to erase a volume. In both cases, early results indicate both issues are fixed in the current macOS 11.3 beta. Given macOS 11 is the biggest rework of Apple's OS since Mac OS X, you may have made the switch one update too soon."

That helpful post came about when I had issues with the latest release of Tech Tool Pro and V11.2 of Big Sur.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 02/18/21 09:42 PM.
plantsower #58014 02/20/21 02:15 AM

OK, I won't.

Originally Posted by artie
I'll re-record and see what happens. (But don't hold your breath.)
Nope, it's really a bug, but I can't pin down the exact specifics other than that pausing a song with a keyboard command sometimes affects playing a new song in the Music interface.

And here's another bug, albeit an innocuous one, because the red box disappears after a few seconds.

It happens when I QuickLook stuff on my desktop. It happened once in ~/Library/Pictures when I went looking. It seems to affect docs only, not folders.

artie505 #58015 02/20/21 12:07 PM

I don't see that bug. When I use Quicklook to view desktop documents, everything appears to be normal.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #58017 02/20/21 04:51 PM

It's erratic, Jon.

I hadn't seen it in a while before yesterday, and I no longer see it now, nor can I think of anything I may have done to trigger it.

If not outright buggy, I'm certainly finding Big Sur annoying.

artie505 #58018 02/20/21 05:32 PM

Does it happen consistently with the same file? I ask because some of my photos (which were scanned many years ago and several OSs ago) look peculiar, but that's consistent with those particular photos.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #58019 02/20/21 05:49 PM

Tough to say, because it doesn't happen consistently, but although my screenshot was of a newly created file, it also happened with files that have been on my desktop for months, if not years during yesterday's stretch.

artie505 #58020 02/20/21 06:18 PM

FWIW, the issue with Quicklook and some older photos predates Big Sur.

Jon

jchuzi #58022 02/20/21 07:09 PM

My issue is definitely new to Big Sur, and, at least at the moment, it doesn't affect pics.

artie505 #58149 03/02/21 09:30 AM

Having finally bit the bullet and pulled the Upgrade trigger, I'm now running Big Sur 11.2.2 without issue....I did discover that one of my favorite "go-to" graphic user interface built-in utilities has been deprecated, however, with Big Sur. The Network Utility is no longer. All the functions remain available through the Terminal and the command line interface, but having access to those functions through a convenient GUI will be missed.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #58152 03/02/21 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by MacManiac
Having finally bit the bullet and pulled the Upgrade trigger, I'm now running Big Sur 11.2.2 without issue....I did discover that one of my favorite "go-to" graphic user interface built-in utilities has been deprecated, however, with Big Sur. The Network Utility is no longer. All the functions remain available through the Terminal and the command line interface, but having access to those functions through a convenient GUI will be missed.

Thanks for the report. I did upgrade from V11.2 to V11.2.2 on my "test" external SSD, and it seems to be fine. However, I am waiting for V11.3, which should be out shortly, before I make the final move from Catalina. Things with Tech Tool Pro will need to be fine with V11.3, though. We'll see.

Still bummed out, though, that for Intel-based Macs, there is no newer version of SuperDuper!, like there is for Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). If I do make the move to V11.3, I will need to purchase CCC (can use it free for the first 30 days).

MacManiac #58162 03/03/21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by MacManiac
You might take a look at NetworkKit on the App Store.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58165 03/03/21 08:47 PM

Thanks joemikeb,

I'm conversant in the command line, so just shifting my workflow to that mode will cover the intermittent need to dig into networking parameters, but the suggestion for a GUI app looks spot-on! This app looks to be more focused for LAN analysis and troubleshooting rather than WAN issues.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #58166 03/04/21 06:14 PM

Well, the third beta of OS 11.3 was released a couple of days ago:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/03/02/apple-releases-macos-big-sur-11-3-beta-3/

Looks like it's getting closer and closer.

MartyByrde #58168 03/04/21 07:37 PM

Yes the third beta was released but a couple of major M1 "fixes" that were expected to be in that beta were not present or accounted for 😠

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/04/21 07:38 PM. Reason: reword

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58169 03/04/21 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Yes the third beta was released but a couple of major M1 "fixes" that were expected to be in that beta were not present or accounted for 😠

Sorry, for your sake, to hear that. Do you know if this issue, which you had posted about previously, has been fixed?

""I have no experience with Big Sur on Intel Macs and there are definite differences, but from posts I have seen on other product support, web sites macOS 11.2 apparently broke some things associated with external boot drives that were working in 11.1. It appears the problem revolves around changes in the utility used to bless a boot drive. I have also seen reports similar to yours about the version of Disk Utility used to erase a volume. In both cases, early results indicate both issues are fixed in the current macOS 11.3 beta."

If you remember, that issue/discussion arose when I could not create the eDrive with the latest version of Tech Tool Pro. I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing that it has been fixed, as I plan on "moving" to OS 11.3 (at the expense of no more SuperDuper! (at least for now)), with the hope that all will be good with Tech Tool Pro.

MartyByrde #58172 03/04/21 11:06 PM

The primary issue I was concerned with involved kernel extension installations being blocked. It appears there is a difference of opinion on whether or not that has been corrected.

NOTE: macOS 11 is probably the last version of macOS that will permit the installation of any kernel extension as they create significant opportunities for security breaches. Future versions of macOS will require the use of system extensions that are entirely contained in the data volume. This will likely present significant challenges to some products due to major performance losses or even the ability to function at all.

Given macOS 11, and presumably subsequent macOS versions, boot from a cryptologicly sealed APFS snapshot that can only be created by the macOS installer, that is likely to present a very significant challenge to Micromat's eDrive and ProToGo product development as well.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58173 03/05/21 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
The primary issue I was concerned with involved kernel extension installations being blocked. It appears there is a difference of opinion on whether or not that has been corrected.

NOTE: macOS 11 is probably the last version of macOS that will permit the installation of any kernel extension as they create significant opportunities for security breaches. Future versions of macOS will require the use of system extensions that are entirely contained in the data volume. This will likely present significant challenges to some products due to major performance losses or even the ability to function at all.

Given macOS 11, and presumably subsequent macOS versions, boot from a cryptologicly sealed APFS snapshot that can only be created by the macOS installer, that is likely to present a very significant challenge to Micromat's eDrive and ProToGo product development as well.

So, to sum up, still don't know if it's an issue or not. I guess it will be a crap shoot as to whether things will be good or not with OS 11.3. Apple is sure making it more and more difficult to "like them". And here I thought Apple believed in the KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple, Stupid. Used to be that way.

MartyByrde #58175 03/05/21 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by MartyByrde
...I thought Apple believed in the KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple, Stupid. Used to be that way.
Simplicity = Vulnerability

Pick your poison. frown

(I DO think there's some overkill going on, but I'm willing to live with the tradeoff.)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard