FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M1 and security
#57851 02/11/21 12:17 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

Much of this is over my head, but it will be of interest to anyone contemplating a Mac with the M1 chip. What the M1 and Apple Silicon mean for Mac security

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: M1 and security
jchuzi #57862 02/11/21 07:26 PM

In summary, as I read the article, Apple's ARM puts a lot more defenses in place and enables app developers to add their own, such as in app encryption which makes existing malware exploit techniques less likely, but that is at the expense of making existing exploit detection less effective.

That sounds good to me! 👌 Exploit developers earn their keep by thinking out of the box and continually coming up with new ways to penetrate existing hardware and software systems. If the Systems Security community has a prayer of keeping up with their adversaries they too need to think out of the box and continually come up with new ways to detect exploits. Personally I would hope they see Apple's ARM security as a challenge to be met rather than a hinderance to their work. If not, then we need to throw in the towel because the security battle has already been lost. I view the author's concern not as a criticism rather a scouting report from the security frontier and a warning to his compatriots that the battle is not over, but new tactics are needed. But for now at least, Apple may be a bit ahead, but it is unlikely that will last long.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard