Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: the New Chip
MartyByrde #57804 02/07/21 08:27 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

That was not the question-- can the laptop have Big Sur. Maybe Apple has a way to migrate computers that are on Catalina over to a computer to Big Sur? Not sure the OS has to match to get migration going.

(or else have to tediously install all apps one by one)

kevs #57805 02/07/21 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
That was not the question-- can the laptop have Big Sur. Maybe Apple has a way to migrate computers that are on Catalina over to a computer to Big Sur? Not sure the OS has to match to get migration going.

(or else have to tediously install all apps one by one)

Your statement is perplexing. You previously indicated that you have a 2012 Mac Book Air laptop. As my post shows, your machine cannot support Big Sur. That is, the last Mac OS you can ever run on your Mac is the latest version of Catalina, OS 10.15.7.

Also, if one is running anything "under" Catalina on a supported machine (laptop or desktop), one can proceed to Big Sur. It can be done either via a fresh, clean installation of Big Sur (latest version preferred), or by updating from your current Mac OS. However, there are limitations on how far back one can start from. And no matter which route you take (update or clean installation), you will be given the opportunity to migrate files, folders, apps, settings, etc. For applications, of course, you'll need to insure they are compatible with Big Sur.

So, maybe explain more clearly your statement "can the laptop have Big Sur". Again, looking at the link I provided shows which Macs (both laptops and desktops) can run Big Sur.

kevs #57807 02/07/21 09:25 PM

You say for security ALone, that's it it has to go?
Whether it has to go not is your decision, based on your tolerance for risk.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57808 02/07/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Based on kevs's tolerance for risk combined with the end of Apple security update support, at which time the risk first kicks in.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57810 02/07/21 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
Based on kevs's tolerance for risk combined with the end of Apple security update support, at which time the risk first kicks in.

Or perhaps more accurately "…at which time unmitigated risk first kicks in"? The risk is always there, but at that point Apple's efforts to mitigate further risk has ended.

— Albert Einstein
MartyByrde #57822 02/08/21 07:40 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe, all, ordered 13" Macbook Air just now direct from Apple. Did not do trade in. hassle form seemed about same as just putting mine on ebay, and I see even these old ones going for $180 to $250 on ebay. Last white one sold 9 years ago sold for $300.. think get most just selling directly.

kevs #57824 02/08/21 08:22 PM

thanks Joe, all, ordered 13" Macbook Air just now direct from Apple. Did not do trade in. hassle form seemed about same as just putting mine on ebay, and I see even these old ones going for $180 to $250 on ebay. Last white one sold 9 years ago sold for $300.. think get most just selling directly.

Congratulations on your purchase! Please provide some reviews of the machine when you receive it. Be forewarned, however, about potential software issues with the M1 chip. A good amount of applications still have issues. The most critical ones are SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner. This site is useful to see which applications run OK with M1-based Macs, and which applications have issues:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

MartyByrde #57826 02/08/21 11:14 PM

You better wear a seat belt the first few times you run your new M1 MacBook Air cause it will blow your hat off! The only issues I have had are:
  • The alternate boot command key options do not work, instead from a powered down condition press and hold the power button until the screen says "Loading boot options". This is not an issue, just different.
  • To install kernel extensions you must permit third party kernel extensions by going to the boot options screen > Utilities and authorizing third party extensions for each boot volume. Again not an issue, just different.
  • As of this date you cannot create a bootable clone, the fix is in Apple's court. An issue.
  • Don't bother attempting to create a bootable external volume on anything but a Thunderbolt 3 SSD. An annoyance more than an issue.
  • SoftRAID is still having problems getting their drivers to work. An issue and I am not sure where the responsibility lies.
  • There were bluetooth connection issues in macOS 11.0 and 11.1, but those have been fixed in 11.2. Fixed.
  • For most uses there will be zero issues with the M1 Mac, but be sure and keep up with the macOS 11 updates.

Be sure all your software is up to date. From day 1, none of my everyday working apps ever had an issue on the M1 and by now all but a very few have been updated to run as a native M1 apps.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57827 02/08/21 11:19 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, I noticed that with my old laptop and imac, (I think), it would not boot into a different volume, with option with a reboot, needed to shut down first. I posted about that here. Surprising not fixed yet OS issue?

I never install kernel extensions.

Darn on bootable clone, I use SD, nowhere near as critical as with Desktop imac, but I assume this has to get fixed one day....

joemikeb #57830 02/09/21 01:09 AM

You better wear a seat belt the first few times you run your new M1 MacBook Air cause it will blow your hat off! The only issues I have had are:

[*]As of this date you cannot create a bootable clone, the fix is in Apple's court. An issue.
[*]Don't bother attempting to create a bootable external volume on anything but a Thunderbolt 3 SSD. An annoyance more than an issue.

Definitely deal killers for me! If they were resolved, and especially the ability to use either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner like normal, I'd get one.

[*]For most uses there will be zero issues with the M1 Mac, but be sure and keep up with the macOS 11 updates.

Be sure all your software is up to date. From day 1, none of my everyday working apps ever had an issue on the M1 and by now all but a very few have been updated to run as a native M1 apps.

As usual, excellent advice.

kevs #57837 02/09/21 06:57 PM

Joe, I noticed that with my old laptop and imac, (I think), it would not boot into a different volume, with option with a reboot, needed to shut down first. I posted about that here. Surprising not fixed yet OS issue?
Not an OS issue it is an intentional security item. It is actually built into the hardware.

Originally Posted by keys
I never install kernel extensions.
So you never use printers? Those generally install kernel extensions although they don't tell you that is what they are doing.

Originally Posted by keys
Darn on bootable clone, I use SD, nowhere near as critical as with Desktop imac, but I assume this has to get fixed one day....
Almost certainly, hopefully sooner rather than later. There are a lot of security differences between the Intel and Apple chips and it is more complex on the Apple chip so there are more steps necessary.

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard