Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: M1 Thunderbolt 4 Wierdness
artie505 #57267 12/10/20 11:25 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by artie505
I guess the bottom line here is that I may begin forgoing Audio Hijack updates if the update notes don't convince me that I need them.

In the end, my updating experience will dictate.
I just installed a SoundSource update which includes an ACE update and no reboot was required.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57270 12/11/20 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by artie505
I guess the bottom line here is that I may begin forgoing Audio Hijack updates if the update notes don't convince me that I need them.

In the end, my updating experience will dictate.
I just installed a SoundSource update which includes an ACE update and no reboot was required.
That sounds promising.

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #57276 12/11/20 09:58 AM

Audio Hijack 3.8.0 is fully compatible with Big Sur, but for some reason, you've got to go to the update notes on Rogue Amoeba's website to find out...
Full MacOS 11 (Big Sur) Compatibility
Audio Hijack now has full compatibility with MacOS 11 (Big Sur), with no known issues.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57481 12/29/20 08:26 PM
OP Online

OUTSTANDING ISSUES

The only remaining issues I have with macOS 11 and the M1 Macs are:
  1. Apple has yet to release a version of their ASR (Apple Software Restore) command line utility that works with the M1 macs and until that happens there will be no way to clone a bootable system.
  2. SoftRAID still refuses to mount my Thunderbolt 2 Thunderbay mini array. I have been working with OWC (SoftRAID) on this. I would believe it to be something unique to my system, but I have a friend with exactly the same hardware configuration who is having the identical issue. (The year end holidays have temporarily suspended further work on the issue.)
  3. There has been an annoying Bluetooth connectivity issue effecting my Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad, Apple Watch (unlock apps and the Mac itself), and HomePOD.

I can certainly live without the ability to clone my system, so that is not a significant issue, but it would be in my nice to have category. One reason cloning is not a big issue for me is I rely on Time Machine to keep my system backups current and my RAID array is a key factor to that so I really would like to have it back up and running. I have looked for an adequate replacement but everything I have found that I feel should be satisfactory would cost more than my computer. (Admittedly I am pretty anal about backups and backup systems.) As tp the bluetooth connectivity issue, the last beta of macOS 11.2 appears to have solved that issue.

CONCLUSION

My experience leads me to conclude Apple is still optimizing macOS 11 for the M1 Macs, but that optimization is progressing very rapidly. The changes are subtle but in total they are enough to be noticeable. The only way I can describe it is everything is becoming smoother and more fluid.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard