for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rudy
#57187 12/05/20 06:26 PM
OP Online

I decided to read up a bit on Rudy's 2008 presidential run, and while Rudy Giuliani once had a real chance of becoming president – and he blew it isn't particularly relevant today, it yielded one quote that I think is right on target :
He’s a guy who really craves relevance and attention, and the media spotlight – and power really.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Rudy
artie505 #57191 12/05/20 08:00 PM

I have begun to wonder if Rudy hasn't begun to slip slipped into senility?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57192 12/05/20 08:35 PM
OP Online

Senility hadn't occurred to me, and I don't know if it's really what's at the root of his behavior, but he definitely has lost his grip on reality.

I suspect that he's got a countdown clock somewhere that started at 15 minutes 19 years ago and got stuck with one second remaining, and he's pitifully, desperately and at any cost, trying to make himself relevant again for that final second.

Heck, there are probably 15 states that would elect him to local office based on his outstanding efforts on Trump's behalf.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57194 12/05/20 11:16 PM

You are a lot closer to Rudy's stomping grounds than I am and may have an entirely different view of his term as Mayor, U. S. Associate Attorney General, and U.S. Attorney for the Southern District, but from a distance of 1,500+ miles, it appeared he did a reasonably good job as mayor of one of the largest and most important cities in the world. But some of the legal arguments he is making he is making on Trump's behalf are embarrassing. He either rode on the shoulders of some truly outstanding advisors, who have long since parted company with him, or his thinking has seriously deteriorated. His legal efforts on Trump's behalf have been notable only by their complete lack of success.

It occurs to me; on the other hand, Rudy may be a really great lawyer willing doggedly pursue even the most non-sensical wishes of his client. Now that I think of it, that may be why Trump likes Guilliani so much. He is willing to ignore facts and the law to doggedly assert his client's wishes no matter how ridiculous they are. Viewed in that light, Rudy may indeed be one of the best attorneys in the country.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57196 12/06/20 12:11 AM

There have been reports that Rudy is making $20K per day as Trump's lawyer. That alone could be enough incentive to pursue any and all avenues, regardless of their merit.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #57205 12/06/20 12:57 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by jchuzi
There have been reports that Rudy is making $20K per day as Trump's lawyer. That alone could be enough incentive to pursue any and all avenues, regardless of their merit.
I've read that he's asked for $20k/day, but I don't know if Trump's actually paying it.

artie505 #57206 12/06/20 01:48 PM

Considering Trump's history of stiffing his employees, I doubt that Rudy will ever get paid.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #57210 12/06/20 02:44 PM
OP Online

Considering Trump's history of stiffing his employees, I doubt that Rudy will ever get paid.
How many days @ $20k/ does a pardon cost?

jchuzi #57212 12/06/20 04:58 PM

Employees, Contractors, Taxes, Creditors, etc. don't get paid, but his lawyers do because it is their job is to stall off the creditors long enough that they run out of money and can no longer afford to pursue the debt. It is just another form of greenmail. (or is that greedmail?)

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/06/20 04:59 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57216 12/06/20 08:50 PM

The just in, Trump has tweeted that Rudy has Covid-19. Does that mean Trump will fire him for getting the virus?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57219 12/06/20 10:18 PM

I just hope that having caught it, it doesn't end up killing him - just converting him.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
joemikeb #57224 12/07/20 09:49 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted by joemikeb
You are a lot closer to Rudy's stomping grounds than I am and may have an entirely different view of his term as Mayor, U. S. Associate Attorney General, and U.S. Attorney for the Southern District, but from a distance of 1,500+ miles, it appeared he did a reasonably good job as mayor of one of the largest and most important cities in the world. But some of the legal arguments he is making he is making on Trump's behalf are embarrassing. He either rode on the shoulders of some truly outstanding advisors, who have long since parted company with him, or his thinking has seriously deteriorated. His legal efforts on Trump's behalf have been notable only by their complete lack of success.

It occurs to me; on the other hand, Rudy may be a really great lawyer willing doggedly pursue even the most non-sensical wishes of his client. Now that I think of it, that may be why Trump likes Guilliani so much. He is willing to ignore facts and the law to doggedly assert his client's wishes no matter how ridiculous they are. Viewed in that light, Rudy may indeed be one of the best attorneys in the country.
Great lawyers win cases that according to all reason they should lose, and Rudy does NOT fill that bill!

Any $1,000/day bozo with a law degree can initiate and lose unsubstantiated, nonsensical lawsuits.

NYC needed a change badly after Dinkins's totally failed Mayoralty, but I'd have preferred almost anybody to Rudy. I didn't like him prior to his election, and as Mayor, he was an authoritarian fascist who I always felt was more interested in his image than in his constituency. He flaunted his law and order record, but in reality, he was close to a bust, having twice failed to secure a conviction against John Gotti, succeeding on his third try only because Sammy Gravano rolled over.

And the very sad footnote to his "America's Mayor[alty]" is that the lives of many cops and firefighters were lost in the collapse of the WTC because he had plenty of $$$ to spend on a brand, spanking new, high-tech command center monument to himself (IN the WTC, by the way) but refused to allocate funds for requested and much needed communications equipment which would have enabled NYPD and FDNY to communicate with each other and coordinate their activities during disasters of any sort...and which would have saved at least some, if not many, of those lives.

And finally, the very sad footnote to Rudy's entire career is that the man who began it with a sworn oath to defend the Constitution is ending it trying to destroy the Constitution.

That said, maybe you're right, and he has crossed the line into senility. Better that than that he's doing it knowingly and willingly (which could be considered treasonous).

Last edited by artie505; 12/07/20 12:28 PM.

artie505 #57228 12/07/20 05:29 PM

In October Rudy tweeted 'I think it's hightly likely that all these people that have contracted the China virus got it from having sex with barnyard animals'. What I want to know from Rudy is whose barnyard and which animals? This is the caliber of Trumpy's personal attorney. He apparently has sex with barnyard animals.

1 member likes this: joemikeb
artie505 #57231 12/07/20 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
He flaunted his law and order record, but in reality, he was close to a bust, having twice failed to secure a conviction against John Gotti, succeeding on his third try only because Sammy Gravano rolled over.
And Rudy was so interested in his own reputation that justice had nothing to do with any of his decisions. He gave Gravano a pretty sweet deal.....Gravano was involved in the murders of 19 people but only had to serve five years.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Douglas #57235 12/08/20 04:13 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted by Douglas
In October Rudy tweeted 'I think it's hightly likely that all these people that have contracted the China virus got it from having sex with barnyard animals'. What I want to know from Rudy is whose barnyard and which animals? This is the caliber of Trumpy's personal attorney. He apparently has sex with barnyard animals.
I did some searching and found that the comment that's been attributed to him is apparently yet another Internet con job as spelled out in Did Rudy Giuliani tweet comment about "China Virus" and "barnyard animals"?

Thinking about it, I should have realized immediately that it would have come right after Trump's bout with COVID (and about the same time as his son's bout), which isn't very likely.

It was entertaining while it held water, though.

ryck #57236 12/08/20 11:52 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted by ryck
Originally Posted by artie505
He flaunted his law and order record, but in reality, he was close to a bust, having twice failed to secure a conviction against John Gotti, succeeding on his third try only because Sammy Gravano rolled over.
And Rudy was so interested in his own reputation that justice had nothing to do with any of his decisions. He gave Gravano a pretty sweet deal.....Gravano was involved in the murders of 19 people but only had to serve five years.
Having already been beaten by Gotti's team twice, he was desperate for that conviction.

He'd have nominated Gravano for the Congressional Medal of Honor if he had to.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard