for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yahoo, PC, no work
#5703 11/09/09 08:47 PM
OP Offline

I'm putting this in the Lounge because it is not about Macs.

A friend of mine, on a PC, is experiencing the following. I write to him at yahoo. He logs in to Yahoo, can see my emails awaiting complete with subject line.

When he clicks on the email in his in-box, his PC locks up completely. He has to reboot and there is still no access to emails sent to him on the Yahoo account.

This only happens with Yahoo. It happens not with any other email provider nor any other website.

So, friendly people, what's happening here, do you think? I suggested some firewall problem but he said nothing had changed at his end in the last few weeks. I suggested deleting cookies and he says he'll try that, but it seems a long shot. This only happens with Yahoo and I've had a good rummage around there today but no-one else reports this particular problem, only Yahoo running slowly, intermittently.

I think it's his PC, somehow.......but I'm not sure either.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Re: Yahoo, PC, no work
Bensheim #5714 11/09/09 11:51 PM

I'm onna pc, and do not like yahoo, it seems to be invasive free apps lately seem to insist on wanting to load yahoo toolbar on my browser. I am also no computer nerd or geek as others on this forum will possibly be quick to tell you smile

Maybe he needs to consider other possibilities, I use gmail no problems. I also do not use internet explorer for anything nor outlook express. I avoid them like the plague.

My system if it helps, Dell with celeron 2.40 ghz, 1 gig ram (small by today's standards) windows xp home edition, 80 gig hard drive. For internet use I use Mozilla Firefox, not IE, and gmail for internet mail. It is a very very stable system, crashes are extremely rare and I have never had to reboot even if software does decide to crash once in a while.

Bensheim #5748 11/11/09 12:47 PM

• Is your friend using a paid or free Yahoo email account?
  • Is your friend using the web interface and if so what browser and version is your friend using?
  • If your friend is using an email client to access Yahoo Mail then what email client is s/he using?
  • Is this only happening with messages you send, and if so are you sending rich text or plain text messages?
I recently spent nearly an hour troubleshooting my daughter's Yahoo email account and after I found the cause of her problems, the best solution ended up being getting her off of Yahoo and onto another email provider.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #5780 11/12/09 06:10 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
[*]Is your friend using a paid or free Yahoo email account?

Free

Quote:
[*]Is your friend using the web interface and if so what browser and version is your friend using

Probably Internet Explorer, no idea which version

Quote:
[*]If your friend is using an email client to access Yahoo Mail then what email client is s/he using?

No, straight to Yahoo from browser

Quote:
[*]Is this only happening with messages you send, and if so are you sending rich text or plain text messages?

Only messages I send. There are only the two of us on that yahoo account/address. Message type irrelevant: this started happening ~2 weeks ago, was fine up until then.

He can access the yahoo messages from his work computer. It only locks him out from the home computer.

Quote:
I recently spent nearly an hour troubleshooting my daughter's Yahoo email account and after I found the cause of her problems, the best solution ended up being getting her off of Yahoo and onto another email provider.

I've tried emailing him to a gmail account, so that he can read and respond to me on yahoo. He hasn't tried that yet.

Thanks for replying Joe

Bensheim #6130 11/28/09 01:12 AM

I recently experienced problems with my yahoo account when the yahoo toolbar and other free junk was loaded into Internet Explorer. I opened IE, went to tools and disabled the add-ons from Yahoo. I immediately had no crashing of IE. I could access my yahoo mail account.

There are 3 kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard