for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Spotlight / Quicken
Gregg #5686 11/08/09 11:09 PM

When you drop it into the privacy pane, it for all purposes erases the index, when you remove it from the pane, it is forced to recreate a new one and that is what takes time. Normally when the index is already created, new editions are added on the fly and one does not even know it is happening. Anyway Good Luck,

MarkG #5698 11/09/09 04:57 PM

Cocktail, MacPilot, Onyx, and TinkerTool System all support specific functionalities for enabling, disabling, and rebuilding the Spotlight indexes. There are those who hold that periodic rebuilding of those indexes is good housekeeping. I tend to follow the rule that rebuilding is only necessary if there are obvious problems.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #5700 11/09/09 05:33 PM

Greg appeared to be having a lot of trouble and not being able to find anything so I thought rebuilding the index would help. What I don't understand is when he did it, the little dot in the center of the magnifying glass never showed. I have used both Cocktail and Onyx, but it seems just as easy to drag the hard disk into the pane. Anyway I have no idea what his issue is.

MarkG #5701 11/09/09 06:30 PM

I've found that the behavior of "the little dot in the center of the magnifying glass" is inconsistent as a means for determining whether or not Spotlight indexing is going on.

A more reliable way is to launch Activity Monitor and see whether the mds and/or mdworker processes are active and responsible for a significant share of ongoing CPU usage. (That amount will vary depending on your system; roughy half of my mini's single 1.25 GHz G4 processor cacpacity is typically occupied by these two processes combined when reindexing is going on.)

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #5705 11/09/09 10:13 PM

On my drive when it's doing a total index from a zero point) , I am not able to search until it is through.

joemikeb #5709 11/09/09 11:01 PM

spotlight is also used by Mail.app. if you disable spotlight on your boot drive, mail search stops working. (and doesn't say WHY, just finds nothing)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
MarkG #5710 11/09/09 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: MarkG
On my drive when it's doing a total index from a zero point) , I am not able to search until it is through.

That is normal behavior

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #5719 11/10/09 04:58 AM

Thanks Joe, I am aware that it is normal not to be able to find anything while it is indexing from the start. Gregg said" I meant that, when doing searches with Spotlight, it doesn't find everything containing the text string I enter, even some things that are installed by the OS. And, the same goes for other types of files, such as Word, Excel, and just about anything else." I was hoping by reindexing it would help, and he said he never got the dot in the magnifying glass. My spotlight works fine and his doesn't and I was trying to find if he had other issues.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard