FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Big Sur??
jchuzi #56974 11/17/20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by jchuzi
I emailed Epson, asking about a printer driver for Big Sur. Their reply (and a heads-up for any Epson owners):

Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson SureColor P600. In reviewing your incident, it appears that you have opened one of our online knowledge base articles to help you in resolving this issue.

In response to your concern, please be advised that currently, there's no available Epson printer driver for your product for MAC 11.0 and we do not have the exact details to when it will be available.
I phoned Epson and was informed that a driver compatible with Big Sur is now available. It must be installed AFTER upgrading, not before. So, one more hurdle has been overcome in the upgrade.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
artie505 #56979 11/17/20 11:35 PM
OP Offline

OK, I did the NVRAM/PRAM thing and so far so good. smile

Originally Posted by artie505
Resetting NVRAM/PRAM just maaay be your answer.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

1 member likes this: joemikeb
plantsower #56981 11/17/20 11:58 PM

I just had a vagrant thought, does the M1 have NVRAM/PRAM, or is that another old trouble-shooting technique that has bitten the dust? I

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56982 11/18/20 12:06 AM
OP Offline

What is M1?

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I just had a vagrant thought, does the M1 have NVRAM/PRAM, or is that another old trouble-shooting technique that has bitten the dust? I

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56983 11/18/20 12:20 AM

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #56984 11/18/20 12:36 AM
OP Offline

Oh, I see. Thanks.

Originally Posted by jchuzi

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #56987 11/18/20 03:56 AM

The article to which I linked states that
[t]his article applies only to Mac computers with an Intel processor.

If there's an M1 equivalent, it's a secret.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57013 11/20/20 01:55 AM
OP Offline

Darn it. Doing the PRAM thing worked but only temporarily. ☹️

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57014 11/20/20 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by plantsower

I was afraid that might happen, because I had a date/time issue that the same procedure corrected, but which also regressed and required a second step to correct with finality.

Unfortunately, the second step, which used to be a simple Terminal command, has changed as per Apple has changed resetting permissions again.

Redo the NVRAM/PRAM thing, and then follow steps 1-8 to repair home permissions.

Yep! Giant PIA!

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57015 11/20/20 02:21 AM
OP Offline

OK. Thank you!

I was afraid that might happen, because I had a date/time issue that the same procedure corrected, but which also regressed and required a second step to correct with finality.

Unfortunately, the second step, which used to be a simple Terminal command, has changed as per Apple has changed resetting permissions again.

Redo the NVRAM/PRAM thing, and then follow steps 1-8 to repair home permissions.

Yep! Giant PIA!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #57016 11/20/20 02:25 AM
OP Offline

Yikes! I just read about resetting permissions and it involves re-installing the OS? Nope. I will redo PRAM, but I'm not up to that. I feel lucky that I got it installed the first time. I appreciate the info though. All of a sudden, texts out of order doesn't seem to be such a big deal!! smirk

Yep! Giant PIA!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57018 11/20/20 11:36 AM

Yikes! I just read about resetting permissions and it involves re-installing the OS? Nope. I will redo PRAM, but I'm not up to that. I feel lucky that I got it installed the first time. I appreciate the info though. All of a sudden, texts out of order doesn't seem to be such a big deal!! smirk

I'm an experimenter a daredevil, so I'm wondering what if you do all the steps up to reinstalling macOS but skip the reinstall?

It just somehow seems like it's Apple overkill (kinda like shutting down/starting up when all you really need to do is log out/in), and the worst that can happen is you wind up where you started.

That's what I'd do after redoing PRAM and making certain that I had an up to date clone first.

artie505 #57021 11/20/20 08:33 PM
OP Offline

Hmmmm. Maybe down the road if doing PRAM doesn't do the trick for good. I didn't know I could follow steps and go just so far and then stop.

I'm an experimenter a daredevil, so I'm wondering what if you do all the steps up to reinstalling macOS but skip the reinstall?

It just somehow seems like it's Apple overkill (kinda like shutting down/starting up when all you really need to do is log out/in), and the worst that can happen is you wind up where you started.

That's what I'd do after redoing PRAM and making certain that I had an up to date clone first.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57022 11/20/20 08:46 PM

Hmmmm. Maybe down the road if doing PRAM doesn't do the trick for good. I didn't know I could follow steps and go just so far and then stop.
Ordinarily, I wouldn't advise stopping in the middle of a procedure, but this is two separate procedures, and I don't seriously think a reinstall is necessary in your instance.

Of course, if you shut down your MBP regularly you can just do PRAM every time you fire it up, and that will probably perpetuate the fix.

artie505 #57023 11/20/20 09:51 PM
OP Offline

I don't normally shut down a lot, just let it go to sleep. I tried doing PRAM today with Option+Command+P+R and it went into recovery mode! I shut it down again and tried again but I guess I didn't touch all four keys soon enough and it just started up normally. Touchy,touchy.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't advise stopping in the middle of a procedure, but this is two separate procedures, and I don't seriously think a reinstall is necessary in your instance.

Of course, if you shut down your MBP regularly you can just do PRAM every time you fire it up, and that will probably perpetuate the fix.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57024 11/20/20 11:27 PM

Instead of booting while holding down ⌘⌥PR, try powering down, disconnecting from any external power source for at least 30 seconds, then reconnecting the power and starting up again. This works in cases where the ⌘⌥PR sequence does not. With Catalina and Big Sur when you are booting while using keyboard options like ⌥, ⌥R, or ⌘⌥R holding the keys down until you see the Apple logo is not enough, you must continue holding the keys down until you see a progress bar. (NOTE: I have often thought in this case, a third arm and hand would be very useful. 😉)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57026 11/21/20 12:47 AM
OP Offline

I did what you said but it didn't make a difference. I hear you about the third arm thingy.

Instead of booting while holding down ⌘⌥PR, try powering down, disconnecting from any external power source for at least 30 seconds, then reconnecting the power and starting up again. This works in cases where the ⌘⌥PR sequence does not. With Catalina and Big Sur when you are booting while using keyboard options like ⌥, ⌥R, or ⌘⌥R holding the keys down until you see the Apple logo is not enough, you must continue holding the keys down until you see a progress bar. (NOTE: I have often thought in this case, a third arm and hand would be very useful. 😉)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57029 11/21/20 03:27 AM

This seems like a good point to mention that I find starting up with a key command to be easier when I hear the chime, so if you miss it, as I did... How to turn your Mac startup chime back on. (Be sure to enter the Terminal command via copy & paste.)

I don't know if this'll help you, but when I zap PRAM I have my fingers on command & option before I even I hit the power button, so I've only got to worry about P & R (which still isn't all that easy) after I hear the chime.

Last edited by artie505; 11/21/20 04:02 AM. Reason: Clarify

joemikeb #57030 11/21/20 04:56 AM

With Catalina and Big Sur when you are booting while using keyboard options like ⌥, ⌥R, or ⌘⌥R holding the keys down until you see the Apple logo is not enough, you must continue holding the keys down until you see a progress bar.

Here's what Apple has to say about it in part:
On Mac computers that play a startup sound, you can release the keys after the second startup sound.
On Mac computers that have the Apple T2 Security Chip, you can release the keys after the Apple logo appears and disappears for the second time

artie505 #57031 11/21/20 05:03 AM
OP Offline

I will do that before I power up, thanks.

I don't know if this'll help you, but when I zap PRAM I have my fingers on command & option before I even I hit the power button, so I've only got to worry about P & R (which still isn't all that easy) after I hear the chime. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #57033 11/21/20 02:55 PM

On Mac computers that play a startup sound, you can release the keys after the second startup sound.
On Mac computers that have the Apple T2 Security Chip, you can release the keys after the Apple logo appears and disappears for the second time
Unlike what I was used to seeing on my Intel Mac mini, on my M1 Mac mini there is only one startup chime and the Apple logo appears only once, but holding until the progress bar appears works on both Intel and Apple SoC.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57035 11/21/20 05:01 PM

Unlike what I was used to seeing on my Intel Mac mini, on my M1 Mac mini there is only one startup chime and the Apple logo appears only once, but holding until the progress bar appears works on both Intel and Apple SoC.
I'm not sure how that fits with Apple's statement that "[t]his article applies only to Mac computers with an Intel processor."

Can you actually reset NVRAM on your M1 Mac mini?

artie505 #57042 11/21/20 10:13 PM

I'm not sure how that fits with Apple's statement that "[t]his article applies only to Mac computers with an Intel processor."

It fits when you erroneously conflate resetting the NVRAM with keyboard boot option commands. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Resetting the NVRAM doesn't work on most recent Macs. instead you have to reset the SMC (System Management Controller, at least that was the case on my 2018 Intel Mac mini.

As to the various boot options such as booting from the Recovery Drive (⌘R), since many Macs came with the boot chime disabled, and there is no double chime or double Apple icon on M1 Macs, pressing the keys before the power button and holding them until you see the progress bar will work on either Intel or M1 Macs.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57046 11/22/20 02:06 AM

It fits when you erroneously conflate resetting the NVRAM with keyboard boot option commands. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Resetting the NVRAM doesn't work on most recent Macs. instead you have to reset the SMC (System Management Controller, at least that was the case on my 2018 Intel Mac mini.

As to the various boot options such as booting from the Recovery Drive (⌘R), since many Macs came with the boot chime disabled, and there is no double chime or double Apple icon on M1 Macs, pressing the keys before the power button and holding them until you see the progress bar will work on either Intel or M1 Macs.
Thanks for that.

OK, you confused me about NVRAM when you inserted the irrelevant to his thread boot commands into the equation.

I've never had occasion to reset NVRAM on my 2019 16" MBP w T2 Chip, but according to the linked article I can do it.

plantsower #57295 12/13/20 05:47 PM

Hi.

When I look into the SOFTWARE UPDATES in System Preference (the Apple in the top-left corner), I have the OPTION to select a box which will (left unchecked, will not) AUTOMATICALLY update.

I have mine UNCHECKED so that I will receive a notice about whatever update is now available, but it will not download or install until I manually tell it to do so.

* Currently, I am using Catalina and there is a notice for me to update to Big Sur, if I wish to do so manually. FWIW: I usually wait a month or two from the initial release before installing. Hopefully, any grief the new OS causes will be ironed out by the time I am ready to download and install.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard