FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Verifying an app, excel etc nuisance
#56871 11/13/20 07:39 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I've seen this now for year, and just wait it out, but what heck is this? Never remember this from years past, you launch an app like excel, and a progress bar comes up for like 15 20 seconds, "verifying excel"...

Is this a newer OS Mac phenomenal.. Is way to get rid of it? thanks.

Re: Verifying an app, excel etc nuisance
kevs #56873 11/13/20 08:51 PM

I've run Excel for years - macOS 10.15.7/Excel 2016 at the moment - and I"ve never seen anything like that.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #56877 11/13/20 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
I've seen this now for year, and just wait it out, but what heck is this? Never remember this from years past, you launch an app like excel, and a progress bar comes up for like 15 20 seconds, "verifying excel"...

Is this a newer OS Mac phenomenal.. Is way to get rid of it? thanks.
I get that every time that Microsoft updates the app. It does not recur until the next update. It appears that Gatekeeper needs to re-verify each update. (It happens with the other MS Office apps as well).

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #56880 11/13/20 09:10 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Jon, thanks, but I'm not updating anything and I get constantly how get rid of this?

kevs #56892 11/14/20 03:03 AM

I did some searching and came up with answers ranging all the way from reinstall Excel to reinstall the OS.

Personally, I'd try reinstalling Excel.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56906 11/14/20 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
I've run Excel for years - macOS 10.15.7/Excel 2016 at the moment - and I"ve never seen anything like that.
Same experience - never seen anything like that - have run Excel since 1987.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
kevs #56919 11/14/20 10:33 PM

I am experiencing something similar when booting into a new Big Sur clone the first time. I see it with Apple's Xcode and it can take several minutes to complete. I thought it was just Xcode, but I now believe it is happening with all apps, but most of the others complete verification before the popup appears or perhaps it only appears when verification takes more than x amount of time. I can understand why verification would takes so long with Xcode (the application package is nearly 16GB in size) but not Excel. That together with the fact it continually re-occurs, makes me suspicious of a damaged application package. The easiest and quickest fix for that would be to re-install Excel.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56921 11/14/20 10:49 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, here is my post on the Excel forum. NOthing wrong with Excel, and when someone, (Not You), but others often do as 1st recourse, especially Micorsoft forums or Adobe with help from India helpers )....to reinstall an app or "delete your preferences" usually sign they don't know anything about issue.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...eId=c62b31ea-ecd7-415d-8572-e1bf6b9f8202

Apparently some new nuisance from Excel Microsoft, but if you are getting this, then maybe Apple in the mix too forcing them? Who knows. Super annoying.. I'm not with Big Sur yet.

joemikeb #56927 11/15/20 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I am experiencing something similar when booting into a new Big Sur clone the first time. I see it with Apple's Xcode and it can take several minutes to complete. I thought it was just Xcode, but I now believe it is happening with all apps, but most of the others complete verification before the popup appears or perhaps it only appears when verification takes more than x amount of time.
That was covered with input from Mike Bombich here.

kevs #56934 11/15/20 02:28 PM

Joe, here is my post on the Excel forum. NOthing wrong with Excel, and when someone, (Not You), but others often do as 1st recourse, especially Micorsoft forums or Adobe with help from India helpers )....to reinstall an app or "delete your preferences" usually sign they don't know anything about issue.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...eId=c62b31ea-ecd7-415d-8572-e1bf6b9f8202

Apparently some new nuisance from Excel Microsoft, but if you are getting this, then maybe Apple in the mix too forcing them? Who knows. Super annoying.. I'm not with Big Sur yet.
When I worked for Microsoft training their Tech Support engineers back in the early 90's, reinstalling the app or Windows was the first and most often suggested "fix". It is in the Microsoft DNA.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56935 11/15/20 04:02 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe thanks, and usually sign that the person advising has no idea what issue is, so that waste your time completely. You see it on other forums a lot... People who have not a clue of issue suggest that a lot.

kevs #56936 11/15/20 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by keys
Joe thanks, and usually sign that the person advising has no idea what issue is, so that waste your time completely. You see it on other forums a lot... People who have not a clue of issue suggest that a lot.
In my experience with professional tech support, it is most often a sign the support person is being rated or paid based on the number of calls they handle per day or per hour and may even be fired for taking too long on any one call (a common practice in the tech support business). The poor support technician is simply looking for the quickest fix they can find, so they can take another call or maybe work in a bathroom break. While Microsoft did have a minimum number of calls you were expected (required?) to handle per day, they did permit bathroom breaks and had a nice lunchroom in the building. On the other hand, I encountered support people from various third party support organizations who routinely wore disposable underwear because they often had no time for bathroom breaks.

All of that considered it is a quick fix that in the Windows world, has a high success rate. Not so much in the Mac world, but because it is so common in the Windows world, the advice does bleed over.

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/15/20 06:05 PM.

— Albert Einstein
kevs #56949 11/15/20 08:09 PM

On the one hand, putting "reinstall" and "trash the plist" all the way down at the bottom of your troubleshooting to-do list isn't unreasonable.

On the other hand, though, when nobody else has experienced your issue, and nobody's got a real idea of what may be wrong and how to fix it, grasping at the straws at the bottom of your list starts to look less unreasonable...perhaps even reasonable. (And it's not like reinstalling Office is a terribly time consuming project.)

Quoting Sherlock Holmes...

joemikeb #56952 11/15/20 11:42 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe this issue came up because ARtie did that in this thread, said reinstall Excel even though he has no idea if that will help at all. Which is 99% of time a super time draining waste of time.

Last edited by kevs; 11/15/20 11:42 PM.
kevs #56956 11/16/20 02:31 AM

Joe this issue came up because ARtie did that in this thread, said reinstall Excel even though he has no idea if that will help at all. Which is 99% of time a super time draining waste of time.
Yes, I did suggest reinstalling...
I did some searching and came up with answers ranging all the way from reinstall Excel to reinstall the OS.

Personally, I'd try reinstalling Excel. (Emphasis added)
but in the face of your apparently having no viable alternatives it was with the totally reasonable idea that it might work, which without being able to recreate your problem and test the idea is the best I or anybody could do.

And joemike seconded my motion and suspicions exactly two posts later...
I can understand why verification would takes so long with Xcode (the application package is nearly 16GB in size) but not Excel. That together with the fact it continually re-occurs, makes me suspicious of a damaged application package. The easiest and quickest fix for that would be to re-install Excel. (Emphasis added)

What IS "a super time draining waste of time," and that's 100% of the time, is arguing that something else is a waste of time 99% of the time rather than trying it to see if your issue maybe falls into the 1%, particularly when you've run out of alternatives and trying it will take less time than you've already wasted arguing that it just probably won't work.

Troubleshooting a problem isn't always about somebody having the answer at hir fingertips; it often extends far beyond "I know," deep into "what if" territory where only you can venture, this is one such instance, and if you're really interested in solving your problem, you'll go the distance.

Last edited by artie505; 11/16/20 10:42 AM. Reason: Clarification

artie505 #56962 11/16/20 02:46 PM

A REMINDER TO ALL, direct, or sidewise, criticism of someone else's post is not acceptable behavior on FineTunedMac, and two wrongs do not make a right. We are after all sincere individuals trying to help one another, not hyper-partisan politicians practicing one-up-man-ship.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56963 11/16/20 03:39 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Actually, I've had my posts criticized derangely out of the blue here. Joe is there a way to have a user blocked from my posts? This does seem to be a pattern -- with one unnamed individual, my thread get dragged down into nutty irrelevant mud.

Last edited by kevs; 11/16/20 03:39 PM.
kevs #56964 11/16/20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by keys
Joe is there a way to have a user blocked from my posts?
There is no way to block any FineTunedMac user from any other user's posts. You can, however, choose to ignore those posts. If posts are made in any thread, not just your own, you feel diverts the thread to an unrelated topic, you can click the exposure arrow at the extreme right end of the title bar of the post you want to report. That opens a menu where you will find an option to report posts and request the off-topic posts be moved to their own thread. The final decision whether or not to move the posts rests with the moderators of that particular forum. In the meantime, we all need to carefully consider our own actions and words to be sure we are not trying to remove the beam from our neighbor's eye, while ignoring the beam in our own.

(Yes, I am married to a theologian. 🙄 )

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56970 11/16/20 10:10 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks JOe, will note.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard