for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Big Sur??
plantsower #56924 11/15/20 12:23 AM

I emailed Epson, asking about a printer driver for Big Sur. Their reply (and a heads-up for any Epson owners):

Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson SureColor P600. In reviewing your incident, it appears that you have opened one of our online knowledge base articles to help you in resolving this issue.

In response to your concern, please be advised that currently, there's no available Epson printer driver for your product for MAC 11.0 and we do not have the exact details to when it will be available.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #56925 11/15/20 12:25 AM
OP Offline

Wow! So do they not see they will lose business because of that?

Originally Posted by jchuzi
I emailed Epson, asking about a printer driver for Big Sur. Their reply (and a heads-up for any Epson owners):

Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson SureColor P600. In reviewing your incident, it appears that you have opened one of our online knowledge base articles to help you in resolving this issue.

In response to your concern, please be advised that currently, there's no available Epson printer driver for your product for MAC 11.0 and we do not have the exact details to when it will be available.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

jchuzi #56928 11/15/20 04:31 AM

I never upgrade to a new OS until it has had at least one, and preferably two, updates. I always check to see that my critical apps will work before upgrading.
I felt that way years ago, but now I've got a new perspective...

Beginning with the OS X Public Beta through OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) WE, the entire body of Mac users, were not only the beta testers, we paid for the privilege; we were also the beta testers for OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), but at least it was free.

Beginning with OS X 10 (Yosemite), Apple launched the Apple Beta Software Program, which puts pre-release versions of the OS in the hands of the entire spectrum of users, which, I"ll bet the farm, includes both far less and far more involved users than joemike, so it seems pretty fair to say that not only are those dreaded "first one or two updates" already behind us when an OS is released to the public, but considering that there have been upwards of ten releases of each beta, and splitting the difference between the development costs Apple saved on its end and the user contributions on the other end, the Big Sur v 11.0.1 release is probably really v 11.4 or 5.

Therefore, I've got no qualms about taking the general together with joemike's specifics and upgrading to Big Sur as soon as my critical apps are compatible.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #56929 11/15/20 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by plantsower
My Message app is already acting up with people's text responses above my questions!
That's a Messages malware derivative called Carnac. grin

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #56930 11/15/20 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
...I don't tend to hold onto old apps or old versions of apps.... <snip> If you have elderly versions of Microsoft Office or Adobe suite you have been coddling along for years then all bets are off on whether or not they will run.
I archive at least one or two versions of each of my apps as they update, because updates don't always work, and earlier versions of updated apps aren't always available. (That includes apps that are auto-updated by either the App Store or Sparkle, which I add to my archive as .zip compressions.)

Per All you need to know about Microsoft Office and Big Sur MacOS - Office Watch
Office 2016 for Mac not supported by Microsoft (no bug fixes or OS compatibility updates after October 2020). Office 2016 should work on Big Sur but it’s not guaranteed and Microsoft won’t help.

artie505 #56931 11/15/20 04:55 AM
OP Offline

So what can I do about it? It's annoying.

Originally Posted by artie505
My Message app is already acting up with people's text responses above my questions!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56932 11/15/20 05:01 AM

It's distributed by www.johnny_carson.somewherebeyond; you'll have to contact them.

Or if you prefer, got me beat!

artie505 #56937 11/15/20 06:04 PM
OP Offline

I looked up Carnac and saw nothing that would help with this problem. I also looked up the johnny carson link and only got info about Johnny Carson. I guess I will just deal with it. Thanks, though.

It's distributed by www.johnny_carson.somewherebeyond; you'll have to contact them.

Or if you prefer, got me beat!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56938 11/15/20 06:10 PM

I looked up Carnac and saw nothing that would help with this problem. I also looked up the johnny carson link and only got info about Johnny Carson. I guess I will just deal with it. Thanks, though.
I'm with you. The only Carnac malware I found is a Facebook exploit. I can find no reference or explanation for your Messages issue. Perhaps a screenshot would help us understand what is happening.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #56939 11/15/20 06:21 PM

One of Johnny's characters was Carnac, who divined the answers to questions without hearing them them, i.e. the answers preceded the questions as is happening with your messages, hence the grin in my first post.

Sorry for the misplaced humor. (Or have you really never seen a Carnac skit? shocked )

You've probably shut down/started up since this issue began, but I"ll ask if you have anyhow.

jchuzi #56940 11/15/20 06:39 PM

I did some more looking, and found this statement that only Apple Silicon macs are affected. I replied to Epson's original email inquiring about it and will phone Epson if I don't get a reply. Hopefully, my installed Epson driver will work.

I can find out by installing Big Sur on a clone and trying the printer (not to be done anytime soon). In the past, I used Apple's printing software (accessed via System Preferences > Printers & Scanners) and found that many features were missing. Consequently, I only want to use the Epson driver.

If the + signs are clicked to reveal more info, it is stated that a fix should be available by December, 2020.

Last edited by jchuzi; 11/15/20 06:41 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #56941 11/15/20 06:46 PM

In the past, I used Apple's printing software (accessed via System Preferences > Printers & Scanners) and found that many features were missing. Consequently, I only want to use the Epson driver.
I wasn't aware that you can use d/l'ed drivers instead of working through System Prefs.

Can it be done with all printers, and how?

Thanks.

artie505 #56942 11/15/20 07:00 PM
OP Offline

I never watched Carson much, but now that you mention it, I do remember the Great Carmac with the turban-like head covering. If I had remembered, what you said would have been funny at the time. wink

One of Johnny's characters was Carnac, who divined the answers to questions without hearing them them, i.e. the answers preceded the questions as is happening with your messages, hence the grin in my first post.

Sorry for the misplaced humor. (Or have you really never seen a Carnac skit? shocked )

You've probably shut down/started up since this issue began, but I"ll ask if you have anyhow.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #56943 11/15/20 07:03 PM
OP Offline

I've deleted all my texts, but the next time it happens I will try to remember to send a screen shot. In short, when I send a text to someone and it looks like I received a text back, I check and don't see their answer until I look above my original text. It should be below my original text.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I'm with you. The only Carnac malware I found is a Facebook exploit. I can find no reference or explanation for your Messages issue. Perhaps a screenshot would help us understand what is happening.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #56945 11/15/20 07:20 PM

In the past, I used Apple's printing software (accessed via System Preferences > Printers & Scanners) and found that many features were missing. Consequently, I only want to use the Epson driver.
I wasn't aware that you can use d/l'ed drivers instead of working through System Prefs.

Can it be done with all printers, and how?

Thanks.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I had deleted all printers (long story) and then opted to add a printer via System Preferences. Apparently, the driver was quite different from Epson"s. Consequently, I deleted that printer and downloaded and installed the driver directly from Epson. Among other things, the driver from System Preferences did not allow me to print in Draft Mode. I don't remember the other options that were unavailable, but suffice it to say that I'm sticking with the Epson driver.

Jon

jchuzi #56946 11/15/20 07:42 PM

Oh, OK, if I"m understanding you, you had a compatible driver pre-installed on your Mac that wasn't fully up to specs, so you went back to the horse.

I didn't have a pre-installed Canon driver, so I had to d/l and use theirs.

artie505 #56950 11/15/20 09:37 PM

Basically, that's right. I don't know if the driver was pre-installed or downloaded when I selected the printer in System Preferences, but either way, I prefer the one from Epson.

Jon

plantsower #56954 11/15/20 11:47 PM

I've deleted all my texts, but the next time it happens I will try to remember to send a screen shot. In short, when I send a text to someone and it looks like I received a text back, I check and don't see their answer until I look above my original text. It should be below my original text.
No need to post a screenshot, I understand what is happening now, the message sort order has reversed. I can't replicate that in either Catalina or Big Sur, nor can I find any preference setting relating to the message sort or display order. I did find a few instances the similar questions on Apple's Discussions, some going back 10 or more years and some with 60 or more "I have the same question notations", but none of them flagged as solved. The few that had answers had either one of two answers;
  1. "You can't change it" and
  2. "Update to the latest version of MacOS"

I realize that is very little no more help than my usual, "Are you sure you're holding your mouth right?" but its all I've got. 😢 By the way apparently there were some view sorting options in earlier versions of MacOS, but those appear to have gone by the board in Catalina and Big Sur 🤷‍♂️

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56955 11/16/20 01:54 AM
OP Offline

Thanks, JoeMike. I had no idea there was a preference order in earlier OS's. I did see those Apple posts awhile back, but nothing I tried from them worked.

It's just a weird thing that is either unfixable or Apple staff doesn't care.
mad

I did find a few instances the similar questions on Apple's Discussions, some going back 10 or more years and some with 60 or more "I have the same question notations", but none of them flagged as solved. The few that had answers had either one of two answers;
  1. "You can't change it" and
  2. "Update to the latest version of MacOS"

I realize that is very little no more help than my usual, "Are you sure you're holding your mouth right?" but its all I've got. 😢 By the way apparently there were some view sorting options in earlier versions of MacOS, but those appear to have gone by the board in Catalina and Big Sur 🤷‍♂️ [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56957 11/16/20 02:43 AM

Resetting NVRAM/PRAM just maaay be your answer.

artie505 #56965 11/16/20 05:37 PM
OP Offline

I think I did that, but since I'm not sure, I will try again.

Resetting NVRAM/PRAM just maaay be your answer.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

jchuzi #56966 11/16/20 05:58 PM

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I had deleted all printers (long story) and then opted to add a printer via System Preferences. Apparently, the driver was quite different from Epson"s. Consequently, I deleted that printer and downloaded and installed the driver directly from Epson. Among other things, the driver from System Preferences did not allow me to print in Draft Mode. I don't remember the other options that were unavailable, but suffice it to say that I'm sticking with the Epson driver.

I am using the "added via System Preference" Epson driver and I have a "fast economy" mode. Don't know how that compares to Draft Mode, but it seems to be a comparable option.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #56967 11/16/20 07:54 PM

Good to know! When I had used the driver from System Preferences, I was using an earlier OS (don't remember which one).

Jon

jchuzi #56968 11/16/20 07:58 PM

Last edited by jchuzi; 11/16/20 08:09 PM.

Jon

jchuzi #56969 11/16/20 08:17 PM
OP Offline

It's hard to see why none of these things were reported by Beta users unless when it was finally launched changes were made that the Beta testers didn't have access to. I am waiting for sure.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard