FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Google G Suite
#56679 10/29/20 03:20 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

My ISP (TELUS) is changing their mail system over to a Google platform described as “….the enterprise-grade G Suite, trusted by governments, universities and leading businesses around the globe…”

Needless to say, the very idea of Google being anywhere near my email sends chills down my spine, and I am not comforted by my ISP’s assurance: “Although your data will now be stored in Google's network of geographically distributed data centers, the protection and control of your personal information will continue to be by TELUS.” I find the idea of being on a Google-managed email system scary enough that I am considering a change of ISPs. Has anyone else had any experiences with “G Suite”, or know of others who have?

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Google G Suite
ryck #56682 10/29/20 04:17 PM

Personally, I share your reservations about anything Google, but according to what I found with a DuckDuckGo search, G-Suite is changing to Google Workspace and email is just the tip of the iceberg. It is a complete suite of communications tools including calendar, addressbook, email, text messaging, on-line meetings, and works best with Google Chrome (which is not surprising). this How-to Geek article does a good job of explaining G-suite and its successor Workspace. This article has a reasonably complete set of customer reviews. As there are a number of Workspace plans (and prices) you might want to ask your ISP what Workspace features are included in what you will be getting.

An alternative you might consider as an Apple user, is Apple. I have used Apple as my primary email provider since its first inception and while there were glitches early on, it has been rock solid stable for several years now and is FREE.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Google G Suite
joemikeb #56683 10/29/20 05:04 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by joemikeb
....I found with a DuckDuckGo search, G-Suite is changing to Google Workspace and email is just the tip of the iceberg. It is a complete suite of communications tools including calendar, addressbook, email, text messaging, on-line meetings, and works best with Google Chrome (which is not surprising)
Emphasis added.

Well, I certainly won’t ever change to the Chrome browser. Being paranoid, I would assume that, even if my provider is correct in saying that they would have my back on privacy matters, Google would be using Chrome as a "back door" way to collect data about me. I understand from a DuckDuckGo note that, when you tell Chrome to wipe private data about you, it exempts the Google website.

Good thing I’m completely satisfied with Safari.

Last edited by ryck; 10/29/20 05:06 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard