Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: First Look At Big Sur
joemikeb #56554 10/17/20 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by artie505
Mike's response to my question may be "quoted" as "Installing Big Sur on top of a CCC data clone and running Migration Assistant on top of a Big Sur installation yield the same results."
Agreed. But that does not mean you can clone or re-clone a data volume onto an existing Big Sur drive and end up with a bootable system.
artie: Can I install Big Sur on an external drive and keep it current by cloning my internal data volume to it regularly?

Mike Bombich: CCC will keep the Data-only volume current, yes. Nothing copies the System volume – not CCC, not Time Machine, nothing nor nobody can copy it (yet), not even Apple. The only way to restore the system right now is to reinstall it.
FWIW, I'd wait on this one. There is no impetus to upgrade to Big Sur, and there are some lower-level things that are still not working correctly. The biggest problem right now is that the "Signed System Volume" is supposed to be cryptographically "sealed", but that seal is constantly broken. A volume with a broken seal isn't supposed to be bootable, but Apple has relaxed that requirement because the functionality doesn't work. You're in no worse shape than in Catalina where the volume lacks the seal altogether, but then there's also no advantage (security-wise) to upgrading just yet.

and

artie: Will the external Big Sur installation be bootable after its Data-only volume has been updated by CCC?

Mike: That is my expectation, yes (it has remained bootable in my own tests).
It may be worth both your whiles for you to report your reverse prohibited symbol experience to Mike. (Broken/UNbroken seal issue, perhaps?)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56561 10/17/20 05:24 PM

Here is an interesting statement by Mike Bombich that appeared in the details of the most recent CCC upgrade:
"This update includes many changes to accommodate Apple's next OS, macOS "Big Sur". We were anticipating its release by now, but we're grateful that Apple is taking some additional time, hopefully to resolve some outstanding problems. If Apple ships Big Sur without resolving these problems, we'll call this update to CCC the "official" update for Big Sur. If Apple does resolve the outstanding problems, we'll post another update for Big Sur closer to the release date."

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #56565 10/17/20 08:51 PM
OP Online

A new Apple Event is scheduled for November 17 and rumors have it that will be the announcement of the first Macs with Apple silicon. If that is true, then it would also have to include the release of macOS 11 (Big Sur) because macOS 10.x cannot run on Apple silicon. That only leaves 31 days for another Big Sur beta to be distributed and tested. Realistically I would not expect more than one more beta and that would be the Gold Master any changes after that would most likely remove any problematic features and hold those for a subsequent update version. I think the odds are in favor of the current CCC release being the official update for Big Sur. If I am wrong, it won't be the first time and it is highly unlikely it will be the last time.

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/17/20 08:53 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #56593 10/22/20 10:32 PM

I hope joemike doesn't mind that I passed his issue on to Mike Bombich.
joemike: I finally got around to testing installing Big Sur on a drive with a Carbon Copy Cloner created data volume clone. Piece-of-cake 🍰. I cloned my data volume to an external drive using CCC then booted the Recovery Drive and installed Big Sur on the external volume. When the external drive booted after the install it came right up, even my just rearranged LaunchPad settings were just as they had been. The only way I could immediately tell the difference was the CCC warning about suspended tasks that popped up. Admittedly it took a lot less time than yesterday's recovery from Time Machine.

artie: How about reversing that procedure and cloning your data volume to an external drive that's already got macOS installed on it?

joemike: An interesting idea, but sadly one that does not work. I just tried re-cloning the data volume on my bootable Big Sur clone. The cloning process was very quick, but when I attempted to boot the re-cloned drive i kept getting a reversed ⌀ symbol and finally had to quit the process with the power switch."
Originally Posted by Mike
First, thanks for asking about this. Nobody mentioned this problem at all, but I was concerned enough that I did some additional testing. I did find a problem in which CCC was rendering a previously-bootable volume non-bootable. The problem occurs if you were to install Beta 9, for example, onto a backup disk, and then clone a Beta 10 source to that backup. CCC doesn't copy the System, but it does update the Preboot volume. That's where things were going awry – there are kernel caches in the Preboot volume that shouldn't be copied because the beta 10 kernel caches can't boot the beta 9 system. Anyway, I fixed that for the general 5.1.22 release, so I'd want to see if this other person can reproduce that problem with the latest build of CCC.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56595 10/22/20 11:18 PM
OP Online

I tried cloning a beta 10 data volume onto a beta 9 System drive using the latest version of CCC and it is bootable. I am working from that version now. One comment, It took forever to finish booting because the system had to verify the latest release of XCode and apparently every other executable. (In fact, it is still going on.)

FYI here is the screenshot you asked for. I have no idea why it is so pale but that is the best I could get of that particular window with the drop down showing 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/22/20 11:30 PM. Reason: add url

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56596 10/23/20 09:23 AM

I passed your success story on to Mike.

Thanks for the screenshot, but it doesn't answer my question. I've got a Catalina CCC task that doesn't copy "system" files, but included in the files it doesn't copy are /Library and the third party component of /Apps, which are actually components of my data volume, and I've been wondering whether CCC does the same with Big Sur or if it copies the ENTIRE data volume. I guess I'll find out first-hand soon.

Assuming that the entire data volume is copied, updating the clone with macOS updaters as they're released should leave us with an up to date bootable clone, albeit not a very conveniently achieved one.

artie505 #56600 10/23/20 06:22 PM
OP Online

OBSERVATIONS:
  • There are 200 items in /Applications on the booted master drive
  • There are 167 items in the /Applications folder on the Data volume of the un-booted clone
  • There are 167 items in the /Applications folder on the System volume of the un-booted clone.
  • There are 200 items in the /Applications folder of the BOOTED clone
  • There are 167 items in the /Applications folder on the Data volume of the un-booted master drive
  • There are 167 items in the /Applications folder on the System volume of the un-booted master drive
  • When running from the clone, Finder crashed twice, and at least one other task crashed, reasons unknown.

CONCLUSIONS:
¹ Cloning the data volume using the latest version of CCC is a complete clone leaving nothing out.
² Big Sur, and Catalina, do a good job of masking the physical structure to make it match the user's expectations.
³ CCC, together with the recovery drive, can be used to create a bootable backup volume
⁴ Personally, I will probably rely on the Recovery drive and Time Machine for backups and keep a bootable clone for dire emergency use only.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56611 10/25/20 06:57 AM

One comment, It took forever to finish booting because the system had to verify the latest release of XCode and apparently every other executable.
Originally Posted by Mike Bombich
That's annoying, but normal. GateKeeper can tell the difference between two copies of the same application, and it's going to reverify copies for instances of malware. I have a note on the matter here:

Some applications behav... volume. Did CCC miss something?

joemikeb #56613 10/25/20 08:31 AM

OBSERVATIONS:
  • There are 200 items in /Applications on the booted master drive
  • There are 167 items in the /Applications folder on the Data volume of the un-booted clone
  • There are 167 items in the /Applications folder on the System volume of the un-booted clone.
  • There are 200 items in the /Applications folder of the BOOTED clone
  • There are 167 items in the /Applications folder on the Data volume of the un-booted master drive
  • There are 167 items in the /Applications folder on the System volume of the un-booted master drive
You can't see all your apps if you examine your un-booted volume? That doesn't make any sense.

Nor is it the case in Catalina in which I see 26 items in /Apps in my booted volume, and 9 items in /Apps and 17 in /System/Apps in my un-booted volume.

artie505 #56615 10/25/20 03:47 PM
OP Online

You can't see all your apps if you examine your un-booted volume? That doesn't make any sense.

Nor is it the case in Catalina in which I see 26 items in /Apps my booted volume, and 9 items in /Apps and 17 in /System/Apps in my un-booted volume.
A whole lot of misdirection going on?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56617 10/25/20 04:07 PM

Nor is it the case in Catalina in which I see 26 items in /Apps my booted volume, and 9 items in /Apps and 17 in /System/Apps in my un-booted volume.
A whole lot of misdirection going on?
A critical bug! They'd better all be visible when I move to trash them!

jchuzi #56651 10/27/20 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by jchuzi
Although the data are limited so far, there is some information about Big Sur compatibility with third-party apps at https://roaringapps.com/apps?platform=osx

Yes, excellent site! I've been using it for years, and have recommended it numerous times.

joemikeb #56652 10/27/20 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
Unfortunately from Apple's perspective that all makes sense. Why clone the System when you can do an Internet Restore and grab the System from on line. Well, I can still think of reasons—like no Internet connection—but Apple does not ask me.
Don't forget that if your Mac has a T2 chip, as I believe all new Macs do, the T2 chip prevents booting from an external drive unless you boot from the recovery drive or internet recovery drive and disable that feature, so internet may still be a requirement, even if you have a "bootable clone". By-the-way, I can tell you from experience, that also prevents booting from a Recovery Drive on any device other than the internal drive.

I have a late 2018 Mac Mini, and it has a T2 chip. I can boot it from an external SSD containing a SuperDuper! backup/clone. I did not do anything in terms of disabling a feature. (I am running the latest version of Catalina, OS 10.15.7).

artie505 #56653 10/27/20 08:34 PM

How about reversing that procedure and cloning your data volume to an external drive that's already got macOS installed on it?

An interesting idea, but sadly one that does not work. I just tried re-cloning the data volume on my bootable Big Sur clone. The cloning process was very quick, but when I attempted to boot the re-cloned drive i kept getting a reversed ⌀ symbol and finally had to quit the process with the power switch. 😖

Ah-well, it was worth a try. I just wish it weren't going to take so long to re-install Big Sur on the drive after I erase it and once again clone the data volume to the drive. 🤷‍♂️ Although I don't really know why I am going to do that as the critical data stores will never be current on the cloned volume. But it is a shame to have such a fast external SSD sitting around unused. 🙅‍♂️

Here's my exchange with Mike Bombich:
artie: but that you can achieve a bootable volume by combining it with either a Time Machine or Recovery restore

Mike: No, Time Machine isn't required at all. An Internet connection is only required to download the Installer, which you've done already if you've installed Big Sur. Hang on to that Installer – drag it to some other volume to make a copy that the Installer won't delete. When you've finished installing Big Sur, run your CCC backup to get your Data-only backup created, then install Big Sur onto the backup. At that point you have a bootable backup, and presumably a backup of that macOS Installer as well. If Internet connectivity is a problem in your area, then definitely save a copy of the installer. (Addendum: Red text is contradictory, no?)

artie: Can I install Big Sur on an external drive and keep it current by cloning my internal data volume to it regularly?

Mike: CCC will keep the Data-only volume current, yes. Nothing copies the System volume – not CCC, not Time Machine, nothing nor nobody can copy it (yet), not even Apple. The only way to restore the system right now is to reinstall it.

FWIW, I'd wait on this one. There is no impetus to upgrade to Big Sur, and there are some lower-level things that are still not working correctly. The biggest problem right now is that the "Signed System Volume" is supposed to be cryptographically "sealed", but that seal is constantly broken. A volume with a broken seal isn't supposed to be bootable, but Apple has relaxed that requirement because the functionality doesn't work. You're in no worse shape than in Catalina where the volume lacks the seal altogether, but then there's also no advantage (security-wise) to upgrading just yet.
I've terminated the discussion because it's not reasonable of me to impose on Mike's time about functionality at a particular moment that may change in the next moment, not to mention the fact that I"m not even running Big Sur, so I can't run any experiments of my own.

The one thing I'm scratching my head about, and regret not having asked Mike about, is how Migration Assistant is dealing with this, and can it perhaps be used in place of CCC for some necessary functionality?

Thanks, artie505, for that informative post! What I have done in the past, and what I am hoping to do with a later version of Big Sur, is the following:

1. Download the latest Big Sur installer, and make a copy of it in another location (I suspect that will be V11.1. V11.0 will have too many bugs).
2. I have a Samsung 860 EVO 500 gig SSD, inside an Orico enclosure. I will use Disk Utility in Catalina to Erase and Format that entire SSD as APFS.
3. Do a clean, fresh installation of Big Sur V11.1 onto that external SSD.
4. Assuming Migration Assistant works the same, migrate/copy all needed files, folders, applications, settings, etc. from my OS 10.15.7 system.
5. Restart my Mac (it will be my late 2018 Mac Mini) from that external SSD.

That will be the start of my testing with Big Sur.

Now, the next "hurdle" will be when Big Sur compatible versions of SuperDuper!, Thunderbird, Onyx, LibreOffice, and Tech Tool Pro are released. Right now, of course, the extremely critical one is SuperDuper!. The one that will take the most time, as usual, is Tech Tool Pro. Assuming all of that is complete (most likely in January, but possibly in February), my process would be:

1. Download the latest version of Big Sur (most likely V11.4 by that time), and make a copy of it in another location.
2. Perform my normal weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/backup tasks using Onyx, Tech Tool Pro, and SuperDuper!(SD). The backup/clone will be to an external SSD, and it will be my latest OS 10.15.7 (assuming no further updates to Catalina) system.
3. Restart my Mac from that just completed SD backup.
4. Use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format the internal SSD on the applicable Mac (I have 2 Macs, and thus will need to do all this twice).
5. Navigate to that most recent version of the Big Sur installer, launch it, and do a clean, fresh installation of OS 11.4 onto the internal SSD.
6. As expected, will be offered the opportunity to migrate/copy needed files, folders, applications, settings, etc. from that SD backup.
7. Once #6 completes, restart my Mac. Hopefully it will be successful with OS 11.4.
8. Finally, install the Big Sur compatible version of Onyx, and make an eDrive with Tech Tool Pro.

I am REALLY hoping all of that will still work. I will definitely visit this site to keep up to date, and inform others of my (hopefully) progress.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 10/27/20 08:39 PM.
MartyByrde #56655 10/28/20 06:40 AM

We're more or less thinking in the same direction, although I expect that I"ll substitute updates for your clean installs.

We differ about waiting for app updates/grades. I haven't even had anything like Disk Warrior, TechTool Pro, or Onyx installed on my MBP in - literally - years. DW and TTP, in particular, have both reached points at which they're stretching to keep relevant (It began years ago when DW added checking xml files to its functionality.), because their basic usefulness is no longer...well...particularly useful.

And remember that since Apple allowed DW and TTP to be distributed as d/l's rather than on discs they've been immediately available should we need them, and there's been no real need to pay for upgrades before we actually NEED them.

It took a lot of years for Apple to get there, but their OS finally does "just work!" smile

Accordingly, my only critical app is CCC.

artie505 #56658 10/28/20 04:30 PM
OP Online

The one thing I'm scratching my head about, and regret not having asked Mike about, is how Migration Assistant is dealing with this, and can it perhaps be used in place of CCC for some necessary functionality?
How Migration Assistant deals with "it" is easy, it only deals with Data volume items so there is no conflict with either the boot snapshot or the system volume. That does bring up an interesting possibility. Instead of using a clone utility such as SD or CCC, why not boot the target drive then run Migration Assistant to get the desired content from the source drive or even Time Machine? No third party software needed and much more flexibility in what is cloned. The only downside being it would be a manual process and not automated, but even that might be solvable with Automator and/or Apple Script!

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #56660 10/28/20 05:05 PM

We're more or less thinking in the same direction, although I expect that I"ll substitute updates for your clean installs.

We differ about waiting for app updates/grades. I haven't even had anything like Disk Warrior, TechTool Pro, or Onyx installed on my MBP in - literally - years. DW and TTP, in particular, have both reached points at which they're stretching to keep relevant (It began years ago when DW added checking xml files to its functionality.), because their basic usefulness is no longer...well...particularly useful.

And remember that since Apple allowed DW and TTP to be distributed as d/l's rather than on discs they've been immediately available should we need them, and there's been no real need to pay for upgrades before we actually NEED them.

It took a lot of years for Apple to get there, but their OS finally does "just work!" smile

I always do a clean, fresh installation with at least the initial version of the mac OS I am moving to. Has always worked for me, and subsequently resulted in things running fine.

As for app updates/grades, the apps I listed (Onyx, Thunderbird, SuperDuper!, LIbreOffice, and Tech Tool Pro) are just too critical for me, and I don't want to be without them. And of course there are the circumstances that 1) the first couple of versions of any new mac OS have too many bugs, and 2) there is nothing earth shattering in the new OS that I must have. Waiting is more a requirement on my part, and given that Catalina is rock solid, I can wait.

Again, all of that has worked well for me.

As for the upgrades themselves, only Tech Tool Pro requires a payment (although they have stated that the Big Sur compatible version will be free). Also, if one needs such software for an issue, such software needs to be compatible, especially at the time one needs it. I prefer to wait until such compatibility is there.

The other good thing about my strategy is that I can "wait on the sidelines" and observe how the first few versions of the new mac OS are behaving. I can then take any necessary, further steps before making the move (if they are needed).

Last edited by MartyByrde; 10/28/20 05:24 PM.
MartyByrde #56661 10/28/20 05:30 PM

Well, earlier today Apple released a new Big Sur beta version, V11.0.1 Beta:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/28/macos-big-sur-11-0-1-beta/

Somewhat strange numbering, as one would expect to see it designated as Beta 11. Oh well.

joemikeb #56662 10/28/20 05:36 PM
OP Online

I just tested the use of Migration Assistant and thought for a moment there was a way of using MA from the source drive, but that option requires the target system to be booted on a different computer 😢. However, my initial proposal works beautifully, and is more flexible than either CCC or SD offering a variety of sources to migrate from as well as the ability to migrate Applications, User(s), "Other" files and folders, and System & Network, or any combination of these. User(s) and Other files and folders allows specifying individual folders within those categories. This is a very workable solution the only major stumbling block I can find is the lack of automation and I am a huge believer in automation where any kind of backup is concerned.

I did encounter one surprise, every time I switched the boot drive, I had to log back in to my Apple ID. Not a big item, just unexpected.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56663 10/28/20 05:40 PM

I just tested the use of Migration Assistant and thought for a moment there was a way of using MA from the source drive, but that option requires the target system to be booted on a different computer 😢. However, my initial proposal works beautifully, and is more flexible than either CCC or SD offering a variety of sources to migrate from as well as the ability to migrate Applications, User(s), "Other" files and folders, and System & Network, or any combination of these. User(s) and Other files and folders allows specifying individual folders within those categories. This is a very workable solution the only major stumbling block I can find is the lack of automation and I am a huge believer in automation where any kind of backup is concerned.

I did encounter one surprise, every time I switched the boot drive, I had to log back in to my Apple ID. Not a big item, just unexpected.

Interesting post, joemikeb. I also prefer (actually require) automation when I do my SD backups/clones.

MartyByrde #56664 10/28/20 05:44 PM

From what I can remember, and especially recently, this is the latest time a new mac OS has not been released yet. I wonder if Big Sur is much more challenging for Apple, or if Apple is deliberately timing Big Sur's release with their Silicon Event expected to happen on November 9th, or possibly both. Either way, all the more reason to exercise caution in moving/upgrading to OS 11, especially the first few versions. As I mentioned previously, I will test Big Sur (probably after V11.1 is released) on a separate external SSD.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 10/28/20 05:47 PM.
MartyByrde #56666 10/28/20 06:14 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by MartyByrde

Somewhat strange numbering, as one would expect to see it designated as Beta 11. Oh well.
Not really strange. It indicates the Big Sur 11.0 gold master has been set and this is a beta of an update (patch?) to that gold master. It also implies the new ultralight powerbook and iMac, both with Apple Silicon on a Chip and can only run Big Sur, are in production and may actually be available in stores at, or shortly after, next month's rumored big announcement.

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/28/20 06:20 PM. Reason: date no longer rumored

— Albert Einstein
MartyByrde #56667 10/28/20 07:17 PM
OP Online

Artie we are starting to think more and more alike, but CCC, while convenient, is NOT on my critical list.
  • I make full use of iCloud, both my Desktop and Documents folders are mirrored from iCloud along with the Music and Photos libraries, keychain, mail, etc.. Not only does that keep all of my Apple devices in perfect sync, it conserves storage space on all of them as well, and after self-induced disasters has been instrumental in recovering not only my iPad and iPhone, but to my surprise and great relief, Mac mini as well.
  • Between the Recovery Drive, Time machine, and iCloud the primary reason I have for a clone would be speed of recovery from a disaster and I would still are likely to end up resorting to Migration Assistant and Time Machine, or relying on iCloud to recover the latest changes.

…so I can easily get by without a clone.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56669 10/28/20 08:05 PM

Myself I do not want any of my information stored in the cloud. Maybe somewhat of a "hassle" keeping things in sync, but in actuality, I made a dedicated effort to do just that. And I do want the speed and ease of recovery via an SD clone.

I just hope Apple gets off their a** and does not disable excellent products like SD or CCC.

joemikeb #56670 10/28/20 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by MartyByrde

Not really strange. It indicates the Big Sur 11.0 gold master has been set and this is a beta of an update (patch?) to that gold master. It also implies the new ultralight powerbook and iMac, both with Apple Silicon on a Chip and can only run Big Sur, are in production and may actually be available in stores at, or shortly after, next month's rumored big announcement.

While that could be the situation, just hope the issue with SD and CCC has been corrected by Apple. It would be good if we knew what exactly this latest release contains/corrects.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard