for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Itunes: Missing important Playlist
kevs #56540 10/15/20 10:52 PM

I am running iOS 14.2 beta on my iPhone, and Music will play to the end of an album or the end of a playlist, but it stops there. However, you can create a playlist of playlists, and it will play to the end of all the playlists in that playlist. While I haven't tried it, I expect it to be possible to nest playlists three four or more levels deep. I see no reason why you couldn't create a playlist that includes all of your playlists.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56541 10/16/20 12:32 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe what is the fastest way to do that?

Ok just tested, make one call all playlist? Then drag, 1 in then 2 etc.

800 drags, but way better than what I did before which is dragging all songs from each one manually. Unless even faster way.

Also in playlist, just see song, album, time, is way to add a column of another category? I know how to that when in songs, but playlist can you..?

And any idea on my double Al Green thing?

Last edited by kevs; 10/16/20 12:34 AM.
kevs #56545 10/16/20 05:02 PM

I don't know how many playlists you have, but the way I did it on either the iPhone or Mac is...
  1. Create a new playlist
  2. Drag an existing playlist (not tunes from the playlist) and drop it onto the new playlist
  3. Repeat the procedure with another playlist.
  4. Continue until all playlists are added.

If the primary objective is to have a playlist that will play every tune your have there is an easier alternative
  • Create a new SMART Playlist using this rule.
  • The advantage here is new tunes will be added automatically with no action required on your part.

Playlist View Options (at least in Big Sur)
  1. Select a playlist
  2. On the menu bar select View As Songs
  3. Then either select View > Options or press ⌘J to bring up the column browser

NOTES:
  1. When adding a playlist that has tunes that duplicate tunes already in the playlist you will be prompted whether or not to add the duplicate tunes.
  2. As most of my playlists are "Smart" I have yet to discover how that will affect the content of the "Master" playlist but I expect it will change dynamically as tunes are added

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/16/20 05:23 PM. Reason: add view options

— Albert Einstein
kevs #56546 10/16/20 05:19 PM

Kevs--my apologies if you found my musical reference (4th album by The Police) to be making light of your situation. The original post did deal with music. As one who has experienced personally, and also helped others with, tech problems, I know how frustrating they can be. And at times I have found that a break with humor can ease the frustration; and sometimes not, I guess. I will strive to be more relevant with my posts with regards to yours.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #56547 10/16/20 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I don't know how many playlists you have, but the way I did it on either the iPhone or Mac is...
If the primary objective is to have a playlist that will play every tune your have there is an easier alternative
Create a new SMART Playlist using this rule.
The advantage here is new tunes will be added automatically with no action required on your part.

I have used this suggestion, but find that even with the "random" option checked, I was listening to the same tracks too often and not enough of the rest of my library. I found that with this added condition I heard more different tracks. You can modify the number "3" to any number that works for you and your library. If you set it to "is 0" you will play music that has not yet been played in the library, if there is any.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #56551 10/16/20 11:03 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks JOe, never done a smart playlist, but yours playlist is music and select random, don't think would achieve what I want is just continue playing all the playlist through I have 1 -800 right?

Ira L #56552 10/16/20 11:06 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira no problem as some of your post past are great, but yeah.. if can't solve issue no point is saying user has issues; trust me I never ever post unless there real issue, way too busy. And we've seen some of these confounding/ intractable things get solved.

kevs #56555 10/17/20 03:43 PM

That would play through all the music you have, not the playlists. You can then sort the music in the playlist in ascending or descending order by playlist order, title, genre, year, artist, album, or time. I tried that on my library and it will take 638 1/2 hours to play it through. To be truthful I'm not sure how useful that would be. But then I can't imagine keeping track of 800 playlists.

— Albert Einstein
kevs #56559 10/17/20 05:12 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Also Joe, any guess on my Al Green question?

My playlist Joe are exact albums and order etc I've sorted playlist by comment field, 1,2, 3 to 800, and when in playlist can then do a 2nd sort for proper track number, but does not seem to work when in general song.... library.

BTW Joe, can one insert images now here? not sure.

Last edited by kevs; 10/17/20 05:14 PM.
kevs #56560 10/17/20 05:20 PM

No guess on Al Green question.

The image tag is still deactivated.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56562 10/17/20 05:39 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, has there ever been an insert image feature on Fine Tuned? Must use 3rd party.. still/ always?

kevs #56563 10/17/20 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
Thanks Joe, has there ever been an insert image feature on Fine Tuned? Must use 3rd party.. still/ always?
The image tag has never been supported on FineTunedMac. That decision was made to conserve on disk space and keep the hosting cost low. Remember we have no sponsors, and no membership fees to cover the cost of operation.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56564 10/17/20 08:27 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, never thought ot that, images take space. And this was started by that Apple tech writer guru whose book I bought a long time and taken over by you and few others?

kevs #56566 10/17/20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
Thanks Joe, never thought ot that, images take space. And this was started by that Apple tech writer guru whose book I bought a long time and taken over by you and few others?
Yes.

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard