Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Curious slowness-limited to one account
dkmarsh #56543 10/16/20 01:48 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted by dkmarsh
Occasionally, mousing over some random spot will produce a brief flash of content which immediately disappears again.
I get that flash of content immediately on page loading. It's a brief flash of colour across the top of the screen which is gone as quickly as it came.

Last edited by ryck; 10/16/20 01:49 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4
OS Mojave 10.14.6
Canon MX710 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner
Time Machine on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Carbon Copy Clone on 500GB OWC Mercury OTG Pro
artie505 #56548 10/16/20 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
And if Marcel Bresink's search tool is so robust that FAF never finds anything after TTS has run, then shame on him for keeping it under the hood and confined to so small an area.
In the more recent versions of Tinkertool System the Unistallation Assistant individually searches every user account, including Root, for traces of the app. So far FAF has never found any identifiable detritus, but Big Sur does hide some system level stuff from any app running on the boot drive, and possibly on other Big Sur system volumes, but so far I cannot verify that one way or the other.

joemikeb • moderator
joemikeb #56549 10/16/20 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Sadly I have let Cookie go and I am depending on Little Snitch's Big Sur beta to block unwanted outgoing traffic, but In my head I know that much of the tracking etc. is still being carried on legitimate approved data packets that I am sending voluntarily. 😢 I find I am using VPN more, and while I have TOR I don't use it because too many sites will not even work if all of its security features are enabled. This is a battle to be fought but never won or lost.
So much for Little Snitch. I just got a notice that the beta version of Little Snitch I had licensed has expired with the release of the new version and it will cost another $45 (regularly $89) to license and use it. Another opportunity to test Tinkertool System's Uninstallation assistant's efficacy.

joemikeb • moderator
joemikeb #56550 10/16/20 08:59 PM

So much for Little Snitch. I just got a notice that the beta version of Little Snitch I had licensed has expired with the release of the new version and it will cost another $45 (regularly $89) to license and use it. Another opportunity to test Tinkertool System's Uninstallation assistant's efficacy.

SO MUCH FOR THAT THOUGHT

When I attempted to delete Little Snitch both Tinkertool System and Find Any File encountered files they could not delete. 🤨 Before you ask, I tried the superuser option in FAF. Finally, in desperation, I activated the Root user and logged on. I don't know how, or when, those Little Snitch files were installed but the Root user does NOT have privileges to do anything but see them 🤯. They cannot be directly deleted or moved to the Trash, even when logged in as Root! 🤬

Artie, you will be glad to know this, your "work-around" of booting from another drive and then deleting files does work! 🥳

joemikeb • moderator
joemikeb #56553 10/17/20 09:46 AM

SO MUCH FOR THAT THOUGHT

When I attempted to delete Little Snitch both Tinkertool System and Find Any File encountered files they could not delete. 🤨 Before you ask, I tried the superuser option in FAF. Finally, in desperation, I activated the Root user and logged on. I don't know how, or when, those Little Snitch files were installed but the Root user does NOT have privileges to do anything but see them 🤯. They cannot be directly deleted or moved to the Trash, even when logged in as Root! 🤬

Artie, you will be glad to know this, your "work-around" of booting from another drive and then deleting files does work! 🥳
I haven't tried lately, but Root's ability to delete stuff has been hobbled, if not shackled, since macOS locked the system volume. The only reason I even tried booting into another volume in the first place was my inability to delete Apple apps from /Apps in my boot volume, even when logged in as Root.

I'm assuming (and, if so, happy to hear) that your system remained bootable after you deleted those files. I'd have guessed that you may have messed with the snapshot and made it unbootable. Or did you mess with the snapshot's underlying data which in turn updated the snapshot and maintained its integrity?

Or did this
Originally Posted by Mike Bombich
FWIW, I'd wait on this one. There is no impetus to upgrade to Big Sur, and there are some lower-level things that are still not working correctly. The biggest problem right now is that the "Signed System Volume" is supposed to be cryptographically "sealed", but that seal is constantly broken. A volume with a broken seal isn't supposed to be bootable, but Apple has relaxed that requirement because the functionality doesn't work. You're in no worse shape than in Catalina where the volume lacks the seal altogether, but then there's also no advantage (security-wise) to upgrading just yet.
perhaps come into play?

(I think Little Snitch is REALLY pushing its luck. As macOS gets tighter and tighter, its BASIC functionality, the reason we all bought in the first place, is becoming less and less relevant.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56557 10/17/20 05:09 PM

I'm assuming (and, if so, happy to hear) that your system remained bootable after you deleted those files. I'd have guessed that you may have messed with the snapshot and made it unbootable. Or did you mess with the snapshot's underlying data which in turn updated the snapshot and maintained its integrity?
The "trick" is when you are booted from a drive certain files on the data volume such as third party kernel extensions are firmlinked to the system and become part of the booted snapshot with all of the protections of the system volume and therefore cannot be deleted. When you access a drive from another boot volume using Finder you cannot see or access the bootable snapshot, but you can see and access files on the data or system volume without effecting the snapshot or its cryptoligic seal. In fact the update installer takes advantage of this and boots from a virtual drive to make changes in the system volume. I don't know exactly what is contained in the bootable snapshot, but obviously there is a dynamic element or else this would not work.

Or did this
Originally Posted by Mike Bombich
FWIW, I'd wait on this one. There is no impetus to upgrade to Big Sur, and there are some lower-level things that are still not working correctly. The biggest problem right now is that the "Signed System Volume" is supposed to be cryptographically "sealed", but that seal is constantly broken. A volume with a broken seal isn't supposed to be bootable, but Apple has relaxed that requirement because the functionality doesn't work. You're in no worse shape than in Catalina where the volume lacks the seal altogether, but then there's also no advantage (security-wise) to upgrading just yet.
perhaps come into play?
🤷‍♂️ but so far I am very happy with macOS 11, iOS 14.2, iPadOS14.2, Watch 7.1, and TVOS whatever the beta is.

(I think Little Snitch is REALLY pushing its luck. As macOS gets tighter and tighter, its BASIC functionality, the reason we all bought in the first place, is becoming less and less relevant.)
Agreed and with security changes in Safari the same can be said of Cookie. I have depended on Cookie to shortstop tracking cookies but in the last 7 days Safari 14.0.1 has prevented 42 tracking cookies from "phoning home". No help from Cookies or Little Snitch was involved. That doesn't mean I am not being tracked however.

joemikeb • moderator
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard