FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How get cursor precise in address bar
#56416 10/07/20 10:53 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Anyone good at getting the pointer cursor in address bar of browser iphone?

I find it maddenly hard. I do the the two end where you select a big chuck, but I just need blinking cursor ofter at end of a url to delete backwards or add. I can't figure it out. it never seems to let me punch that cursor in there.

Re: How get cursor precise in address bar
kevs #56417 10/07/20 11:32 PM

It can be finicky, but for me with big hands,
  • I get the "Max" sized iPhone. The screen isn't much bigger, but it helps.
  • it is always easier to insert the cursor at the beginning or ending of a word or any point bounded by a space or special character
  • Sometimes a press and hold to select a word and then use the little "handles" to narrow the selection to a single character then touch a key which replaces the selected character and leaves the cursor at that insertion point.
  • If my hands are sweaaty or damp it is even harder to be precise, so dry fingers help.
  • Sometimes it is easier to ask Siri to open a url than it is to edit one. I have often been surprised at how accurate Siri is.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56418 10/08/20 05:19 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok Joe thanks.

But what saying is here I don't want the handles, but thanks for that handle tip when I do!

Ok, now just tapped quickly (in address bar); and instead of giving me a blinking cursor the iphone selects the entire url there. The I tap on that and get a handle on the right, which I don't want either.

I tap agin in the blue selected url, and nothing happens at all. Nothing. So stumped.

I double tap again and now have to handles and they are close together, which isn't bad, but not what I want. I tap on the right of that and walla, a blinking cursor on the right!

But alas, it's one character to the left of a forward slash, and I need to be to the right of the forward slash.

I put finger in there again and now blue cursor which I see to control and can move to the right, But it wont stabilize and stay put. Now it seems to have vanished and I've lost the whole url. Whole url now gone, I don't know what happend.

However this happened earlier today, about the same flowchart which is why I posted.

Ok I see that blue flashing cursor.. Getting better far from intuitive! Any tricks welcome.

kevs #56419 10/08/20 03:28 PM

This old dog can learn new tricks! 🐕‍🦺. Thinking about your problem, I did a quick DEVONAgent search and found a "hidden" iOS feature that was introduced in iOS 13.
When the keyboard is showing, a LONG press on the space bar enables dragging the cursor anywhere you want it.

This is going to save me a lot of aggravation and I hope it solves your problem as well.

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/08/20 03:28 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56421 10/08/20 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
This old dog can learn new tricks! 🐕‍🦺. Thinking about your problem, I did a quick DEVONAgent search and found a "hidden" iOS feature that was introduced in iOS 13.
When the keyboard is showing, a LONG press on the space bar enables dragging the cursor anywhere you want it.

This is going to save me a lot of aggravation and I hope it solves your problem as well.

I have been using this technique for awhile now. Just to clarify, with a long press on the space bar the area of the keyboard becomes like a trackpad and you can slide your finger—the one you used for the long press and are using to continue the press—around causing the cursor to move fairly easily and accurately. I have found that if my finger press eases up initially I end up typing "BB", since "B" is the key above the space bar. grin All in all, it is a good technique.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #56422 10/08/20 06:48 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Holy Gamoley, thanks Joe, you knocked that out park! And puts cursor exactly where I mentioned beginning of thread I wanted it. And option bottom to add / forward slash and .com
Wow great one.

Ira, don't see issue yet with B key, seems ok.

What is Devon agent?

Funny this annoying to me for a few years, but yesterday, I really needed for a thread to test a web page in IOS, and needed to add text beyond forward slash, and that was final straw, could not do, hence this thread.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard