for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
eMail remote content
#56192 09/16/20 11:48 PM
OP Online

I've got my Mail pref set to NOT load remote content, yet many times I see no additional content when I click on a "Load" button.

Can anybody explain what's happening?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: eMail remote content
artie505 #56202 09/18/20 05:31 PM

Perhaps the remotely loaded contents are micro-messages or some other subtly embedded content that are not visible to the naked eye?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #56203 09/18/20 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
Perhaps the remotely loaded contents are micro-messages or some other subtly embedded content that are not visible to the naked eye?

I have heard of malware exploits being distributed that way, but I don’t know if they targeted Macs or not.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56204 09/18/20 10:49 PM
OP Online

Thanks, guys, but for some reason Ira's post prompted me to go looking, and I found out that it's a bug in Mail 13.4.

When I quit and relaunch Mail, the remote content appears only after I hit the "Load remote content" button, at which point the button disappears.

Subsequently, though, when I click away from the particular email and then back to it, both the remote content and the "Load..." button are there.

(I was never worried about it being a malware problem, because I click on the button only when the sender is a known reliable entity.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56206 09/19/20 05:17 PM

I see the same behavior with the "Load Remote" button you describe. When I go back to the first email the remote content is no longer present. Never noticed it before because I don't usually click back to the first email since they tend to be in my Junk mail.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #56207 09/19/20 06:34 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by Ira L
I see the same behavior with the "Load Remote" button you describe. When I go back to the first email the remote content is no longer present. Never noticed it before because I don't usually click back to the first email since they tend to be in my Junk mail.
That's not what I"m seeing.

When I go back to the first email the remote content is still present, but the (unnecessary) "Load remote content" button has reappeared.

I see it frequently, because it happens with emails from Verizon, Amazon, and other entities with which I deal which reman in my in-box.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard