Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Create a temp Apple ID?
joemikeb #56194 09/17/20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by kevs
PS is there a place to see you apple ID on the imac?

In all versions of MacOS:
  1. Open Music (nee. iTunes)
  2. On the Music menu bar select Account
  3. The Apple ID will be under Apple ID Summary

In Catalina: go to System Preferences > AppleID > Password & Security
In earlier versions of MacOS
I don't see "Account" in my Music menu bar. Might it have something to do with my never having purchased any iTunes music?

(Should there be anything following "In earlier versions of macOS?")

Last edited by artie505; 09/17/20 02:39 AM. Reason: "Might it...?"

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56199 09/17/20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
I don't see "Account" in my Music menu bar. Might it have something to do with my never having purchased any iTunes music?

I don't know, but check System Preferences > Apple ID and see if your Apple Account is setup there. (The last beta update broke Music in Big Sur, it launches straight to an error message. But I have checked my server that is still running Catalina and it does have Account on the Music menu bar.)

(Should there be anything following "In earlier versions of macOS?")

It was at that point, I had a situation and subsequently ended up having to reinstall Mac OS 11. During the process I learned...
  1. I am not sure if I screwed up or the Mac OS 11 installer ignored my choice of installation drive...
  2. Big Sur is really serious about what it will and won't permit to be backed up or restored...
  3. The Big Sur installer has new features including a guided setup of the accessibility features...
  4. Somehow I had lost the ability to access my keychain files and could not remember old login passwords...
  5. To be grateful that Apple has alternate and very secure ways of resetting passwords (One of which sent a message that went ONLY to my Apple Watch)...
  6. To be particularly thankful I had my keychain synched with iCloud and was thereby able to recover all my lost passwords...
  7. To be thankful that in the interim I had 1Password to permit me to access everything I needed...
  8. To begin keeping a history of prior passwords in 1Password because you never know when an old password may save your backside (the next time)...

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56200 09/18/20 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb

I don't know, but check System Preferences > Apple ID and see if your Apple Account is setup there. (The last beta update broke Music in Big Sur, it launches straight to an error message. But I have checked my server that is still running Catalina and it does have Account on the Music menu bar.)
I found it! "Account" appears in your Music menu bar only if "iTunes Store" is enabled in Prefs > Restrictions.

It's also in System Prefs as expected.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard