Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Create a temp Apple ID?
#56147 09/11/20 06:33 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Devoper want apple ID to fix something in a software. Says uses screen share an apple app.

While guy totally honest, it's very sensitive password, I know Godaddy has a delegate access feature where you can make someone an admin for day. Anything like that for my apple ID?

Seems just crazy that people have to give out their apple ID to use this software.

And looking in my app folder, also, I dont see screenhare app, never heard of this anyone else? thanks.

Re: Create a temp Apple ID?
kevs #56155 09/11/20 10:52 PM

Screensharing is built into MacOS, you can turn it on in System Preferences > Sharing.

Does the developer want your Apple ID or you logon ID and password? I would be extremely reluctant to give anyone my Apple ID and Password. If, and this is a HUGE IF, I ever gave someone my Apple ID and password, I would change the password immediately after that person did whatever they were going to do.

PRINT OUT THESE INSTRUCTIONS

If he wants an ID for an admin account on your computer, you can create one for him by...
  1. going to System Preferences > Users & Groups
  2. click on the padlock at the bottom of the window and enter your account password and press return
  3. click on the plus sign (+) at the bottom of the sidebar
  4. enter the requested information
  5. click Create User
  6. Turn off automatic login
  7. check the box labled "Allow user to administer this computer.
  8. Exit System Preferences

To allow him to remotely access your coumputer
  1. Go to System Preferences > Sharing
  2. check the box labled Remote Login
  3. allow access for "only these users"
  4. if the temporary ID you created does not appear click the plus sign at the bottom of the list and select the temporary account name
  5. check the box labeled Remote management
  6. click the radio button labeled "only these users"
  7. if the temporary ID you created does not appear click the plus sign at the bottom of the list and select the temporary account name
  8. Click Options
  9. Check all the options
  10. Click OK
  11. exit System Preferences

When the developer has finished
  1. login to your account and go back to System Preferences > Users & Groups
  2. click on the padlock at the bottom of the window and enter your account password and press return
  3. select the account you crated for the user
  4. click the minus sign at the bottom of the list of user accounts
  5. Select "Delete the Home Folder"
  6. click "Delete User"
  7. go to System Preferences > Sharing
  8. uncheck Remote Login
  9. uncheck Remote Management
  10. exit System Preferences

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/11/20 10:57 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56158 09/12/20 02:31 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks JOe this looks good. It turns out, I may be able to figure out the issue on my own but will save this just in case.

Of course, so indeed, Apple has the godaddy equivalent of delegate access.

Why would a developer ask the your apple ID, seems odd -- maybe it's so fast easy that way..... (or at least offer this idea.. make me an admin user)

kevs #56161 09/12/20 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
Why would a developer ask the your apple ID, seems odd -- maybe it's so fast easy that way..... (or at least offer this idea.. make me an admin user)

There used to be a way to share your screen via the Apple ID and FaceTime, but I thought it had been deprecated. But the developer may know a way I am unaware of. It is one thing to give someone your Apple ID but giving someone you Apple ID and Password is something entirely different and far more dangerous.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56163 09/13/20 12:31 AM

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd insist on knowing precisely what ANYONE who asks for my Apple ID intends to use it for.

If software needs to be updated, the update can be made available via a link. Why would a dev have to access a specific machine, and why can't kevs be given instructions?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #56164 09/13/20 03:20 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, my apple ID is my password no? When I log into apple , it's email, and then the ID which is the password.

kevs #56165 09/13/20 02:20 PM

Your Apple ID is your email address. If I understand correctly what you are calling your Apple ID is not the ID but the password.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56168 09/13/20 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Your Apple ID is your email address. If I understand correctly what you are calling your Apple ID is not the ID but the password.
And the password may, depending upon circumstances, be either his Admin password or a completely different Apple ID password.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56169 09/13/20 06:57 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok Joe, but then I assume he wanted the password also to share and control the computer. He did not mention anything about make a new admin. But I'll remember that the ID is email thanks.

(unless the id or email) alone can do the share?

kevs #56171 09/13/20 07:08 PM

It may be the ID alone would be sufficient to establish contact. If this works the way FaceTime screen sharing used to would have be on FaceTime with him and manually grant him access. As I said I thought FaceTime screen sharing had been deprecated in Mojave and later versions of MacOS, but I may be misinformed. 🤷‍♂️

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56173 09/13/20 07:26 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

ok Joe, well if that case that only the email is ID and giving that could do a share... that would be fine/ great.. then don't have do the more laborious admin thing. (but I kept notes)

I just assumed ID was the password incorrectly, thanks.

artie505 #56174 09/13/20 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
And the password may, depending upon circumstances, be either his Admin password or a completely different Apple ID password.
I would't want anyone reading these forums to imply that to be a suggested practice. In fact it would be condemed by anyone with the slightest knowledge and concern about secuity.

(I use 1 Password 7 as my password manager and it red-flags every instance of a re-used password and nags me to change one or both. It also nags me to change passwords periodicallly. When I started out I had four or five passwords ued everywhere. After a couple of year of nagging I now have over a hundred unique passwords. I only actually remember four or five of them and leave the rest to 1Password 7 and Keychain. There are less than fifteen or twenty of those I consider sensitive enough to change on a regular basis.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56175 09/13/20 10:51 PM

I would't want anyone reading these forums to imply that to be a suggested practice. In fact it would be condemed by anyone with the slightest knowledge and concern about secuity.
OK, context: I was IN NO WAY suggesting identical passwords as a practice. That's why I said "depending upon circumstances."

In response to kev's
Joe, my apple ID is my password no? When I log into apple , it's email, and then the ID which is the password.
I was referring to a discussion we had a while back about the fact that in some instances you use your unique Apple ID password with your Apple ID and in others you use your Admin password. (At the time, you may have figured out which circumstances are which, but I"m not sure of that.)

More: As a matter of fact, it sounds as if kevs's Apple ID password may be the same as his Admin password.

Last edited by artie505; 09/14/20 11:52 AM. Reason: Add quote & More

artie505 #56176 09/14/20 03:10 PM

I was referring to a discussion we had a while back about the fact that in some instances you use your unique Apple ID password with your Apple ID and in others you use your Admin password. (At the time, you may have figured out which circumstances are which, but I"m not sure of that.)

I am addresing the general case for other users who may read this thread.

As to the point of confusion in Catalina (MacOS 10.15) and Big Sur (MacOS 11), that has bitten many of us some times, and some of us many times. It occurs when the OS prompts for an account password to access an Apple resource. The confusion is apparently the result of user expectations the Apple ID password will be required, but we are being asked for the logon password, which in turn, authorizes MacOS to send the Apple ID password. If I recall correctly, when the Apple ID password is not provided by MacOS either the Apple ID is first prompted for or the prompt specifically requests the Apple or Apple ID password -- at least that is my experience in Big Sur. NOTE: It is also possible there has been a subtle change in wording in Big Sur, but I haven't been bitten once since upgrading.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56177 09/14/20 05:47 PM

It may be the ID alone would be sufficient to establish contact. If this works the way FaceTime screen sharing used to would have be on FaceTime with him and manually grant him access. As I said I thought FaceTime screen sharing had been deprecated in Mojave and later versions of MacOS, but I may be misinformed. 🤷‍♂️

I was recently working with Apple Tech Support and the Apple ID (email address) that is used for iCloud sign in and no password was enough to establish screen sharing in Mojave.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #56180 09/15/20 12:20 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

JOe/ Ira, just thinking, if i give th apple ID (email), and the person then access the computer forever/ whenever?

Can I limit this to one day or certain app?

kevs #56182 09/15/20 05:15 PM

From my experience the access lasts for a "session", however long that may be. But before you even start you have to give them permission to have access. How you give that permission can vary with the type of access. In my case a banner popped up on my computer and you click on either "Accept" or "Decline". Also, there is usually something that indicates you are in shared mode. I saw a new icon in my menu bar. When sharing ended, the icon was gone. Also the type of access can vary. It could be just seeing what is on your screen all the way up to the ability to type and click. Of course if you are really paranoid or extremely cautious, you could imagine that a less honorable person could fake ending a session and still have access, which is why you should trust the company or person with whom you are dealing.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #56183 09/15/20 05:53 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Ira, this person is someone to trust, Still I'm asking these questions anyway.

So while I took Joes notes; this developer then (being he is a software wizard), would initiate everything. I don't have to do all those steps that Joe pointed out unless I'm initiating it all?

And from there, he would invite me to share and that it's and then it would over on that one session. He wouldn't have any access once done?

Kind of feels like when I get invited by Apple or some other companies they have software, I accept they get in and then they are gone. Except with this they/ or he would have my apple ID..

Ira L #56185 09/15/20 07:18 PM

I know nothing more about the functionality than that it exists, but I'm wondering if this guy needs a p/w to use an SSH tunnel?

kevs #56186 09/15/20 10:28 PM

Kind of feels like when I get invited by Apple or some other companies they have software, I accept they get in and then they are gone. Except with this they/ or he would have my apple ID..

If you ever have the slightest question after someone else has been on your computer, you can always changer your logon password and your Apple ID Password. It isn't difficult and it would add an extra barrier to someone coming back to visit when you aren't looking.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56187 09/15/20 10:37 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

THANKS guys, well just got off the computer phone and screenshare went well. Oddly the ID I use to sign into Apple.com, and icloud.com etc, was not the ID.. he saw the ID on his end and it was an icloud email, my default email @icloud which I do not use to sign in to apple.com or icloud.com

that was odd, over my head, but he spotted it and it was ok.

PS is there a place to see you apple ID on the imac?

Last edited by kevs; 09/15/20 10:39 PM.
joemikeb #56188 09/16/20 01:11 AM

Can you now explain how that dev got into kevs's Mac?

kevs #56189 09/16/20 03:39 PM

PS is there a place to see you apple ID on the imac?

In all versions of MacOS:
  1. Open Music (nee. iTunes)
  2. On the Music menu bar select Account
  3. The Apple ID will be under Apple ID Summary

In Catalina: go to System Preferences > AppleID > Password & Security
In earlier versions of MacOS

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #56190 09/16/20 03:41 PM

Can you now explain how that dev got into kevs's Mac?

I was hoping you could tell me 😜

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56193 09/17/20 12:24 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, thanks in all three places (system pref twice, Music), is has the email I gave the developer. This is a info@ mywebsite.com type of email. But during the share session he said, oh it says your ID is ...@icloud.com (which is my main icloud email which I rarely use)

Note that to do the invite we used the method of him texting me, and me inviting him to share computer through the details part of a text message. Maybe that is the deal? It was pretty odd for his to say oh it's saying this is your apple ID, which is not the Apple ID.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard