for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Disk Utility
#56073 09/07/20 05:17 PM
OP Offline

Now that I have Catalina downloaded, you said I may have a question about a folder on my desktop. I do. It says Relocated Items. When trying to open them I get the message "No application set to open the document. Can I ditch it to trash?

Also, I curiously looked at my new HD with D/U. It shows 11.09 gigabytes in use, other volumes 27.71 and 82.19 GB free. What is using the 27.71 GB other than Catalina? My apps? Thanks.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Disk Utility
plantsower #56076 09/07/20 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
Now that I have Catalina downloaded, you said I may have a question about a folder on my desktop. I do. It says Relocated Items. When trying to open them I get the message "No application set to open the document. Can I ditch it to trash?

Also, I curiously looked at my new HD with D/U. It shows 11.09 gigabytes in use, other volumes 27.71 and 82.19 GB free. What is using the 27.71 GB other than Catalina? My apps? Thanks.

It depends upon what's in that folder. I've found it to almost exclusively contain stuff that can be safely trashed, BUT one time the file with all my stored passwords was in it...and I trashed it without thinking. frown

The 11 GB sounds like your system volume, and the 28 GB volume is your data volume.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56078 09/07/20 05:54 PM
OP Offline

It depends upon what's in that folder. I've found it to almost exclusively contain stuff that can be safely trashed, BUT one time the file with all my stored passwords was in it...and I trashed it without thinking. frown Yikes! I don't see any passwords or anything I can relate to, but I will leave it unless JoeMike says I can trash it.

The 11 GB sounds like your system volume, and the 28 GB volume is your data volume. [/quote]. Hmmm, ok. I won't mess with it. In fact I am tired of messing with my Mac's innards. Hopefully, I can keep my hands out of its deep recesses for awhile. I don't know why I feel the need to do all that. It just gets me in trouble.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56079 09/07/20 06:19 PM

I don't know why I feel the need to do all that. It just gets me in trouble.

I get myself into trouble for the experience of getting out of it. grin

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56080 09/07/20 06:33 PM
OP Offline

OK, just keep on with what you are doing. I probably benefit from your mistakes as my younger son did with his older brother's mistakes! Thanks for being so avant-garde! smile

Originally Posted by artie505
I don't know why I feel the need to do all that. It just gets me in trouble.

I get myself into trouble for the experience of getting out of it. grin

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56082 09/07/20 07:44 PM

It depends upon what's in that folder. I've found it to almost exclusively contain stuff that can be safely trashed, BUT one time the file with all my stored passwords was in it...and I trashed it without thinking. frown
Yikes! I don't see any passwords or anything I can relate to, but I will leave it unless JoeMike says I can trash it.

I'm with Artie on that. If you look closely at the item on your desktop, it is NOT the actual folder but an alias of the real folder that is buried somewhere deep in the bowels of your system. I used to right-click (⌘+click) on the alias, select Show Original, navigate from there to the original folder, delete it, then delete the alias. Now I just delete the alias and let it go at that.

The 11 GB sounds like your system volume, and the 28 GB volume is your data volume.
. Hmmm, ok. I won't mess with it. In fact I am tired of messing with my Mac's innards. Hopefully, I can keep my hands out of its deep recesses for awhile. I don't know why I feel the need to do all that. It just gets me in trouble.

My advice to you is don't worry about that kind of thing until you are comfortable with the day-to-day operation of Catalina and have everything running smoothly. Then, say in another month or two, and if you are interested, we can get into a discussion of how Catalina is organized and at least some of the "why". In fact, there are four other volumes on your internal drive, only two of which you can see without special software. In the meantime, focus on Macintosh HD - Data is the only thing you need to worry about and the only one you have write access to. (Big Sur adds even more constraints.)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #56083 09/07/20 08:00 PM

It depends upon what's in that folder. I've found it to almost exclusively contain stuff that can be safely trashed, BUT one time the file with all my stored passwords was in it...and I trashed it without thinking.
I have the alias of that folder on my desktop. The original is in ~/Shared/Relocated Items. When I dig down into that folder, I see Configuration/private/etc/master.passwd.system_default as well as Configuration/private/etc/postfix/main.cf.system_default. As with joemikeb, I'm not trashing any of it except the alias that resides on the desktop.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #56086 09/07/20 08:49 PM
OP Offline

Thank you. I just did that. The less stuff on my Mac the better.

Originally Posted by jchuzi
It depends upon what's in that folder. I've found it to almost exclusively contain stuff that can be safely trashed, BUT one time the file with all my stored passwords was in it...and I trashed it without thinking.
I have the alias of that folder on my desktop. The original is in ~/Shared/Relocated Items. When I dig down into that folder, I see Configuration/private/etc/master.passwd.system_default as well as Configuration/private/etc/postfix/main.cf.system_default. As with joemikeb, I'm not trashing any of it except the alias that resides on the desktop.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard