FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wifi question
#55906 09/01/20 08:39 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm on iphpone and verizon.. and was at a restaurant in another town and to use wifi they said to go to Cellular, Wifi Calling, and turn that on -- "Wifi calling on this phone" (it was off)

But what is confusing to me is that at home, I'm using wifi right, (not LTE data) and I never had that on...I just had the normal wifi on this then you connect with the drowndown.

Re: Wifi question
kevs #55907 09/01/20 09:36 PM

Actually WiFi CALLING and MASSAGING goes through your cellular account and DOES count against your minutes or messages. The only difference is WiFi calling and messaging is routed to the cellular provider via the internet rather than via their cellular network. Once the signal gets to the provider there is no difference. DATA is where the difference comes in. WiFi DATA goes internet all the way and unless your ISP charges a data rate there is no additional charge. Cellular DATA, on the other hand, goes through the telco's cellular network and counts against your data limits (even so called unlimited accounts are generally unlimited up to a certain point at which the speed is drastically reduced.) For details on your iPhone go to Settings > Cellular > WiFi Calling and you should find explicit details explaining WiFi calling and its relationship to your cellular account (or at least my carrier does that).

Personally I have WiFi calling turned on in my iPhone for one reason only, we are lucky to get one bar cellular signal strength at our house so WiFi calling is much more reliable. Very few apps on my phone are authorized to use cellular DATA and most of those are authorized ONLY while the app is in use. Otherwise by mid-month I would be running at the lowest available speed on my unlimited data plan.

WiFi calling also comes into play on your Mac, iPad or other non-cellular device and permits them to make and receive calls using your iPhone's cellular account.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55910 09/01/20 10:01 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

JOe, thanks, lot to absorb,

1- even at home, I'm have wifi bars on and says Verixon not LTE (whatever that stand for!) , I'm on prepaid 3 GB plan. You saying that my 3GB data is still being eating away/ diminished, even though I"m on wifi?ie I'm clicked dropdown, entered by wifi user/ pass. ie same with when use Starbucks wifi, still depleting my data?

(but would be even worse), if I was not on wifi?

To get head around, how much data/ $ depletes?

kevs #55916 09/02/20 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
1- even at home, I'm have wifi bars on and says Verixon not LTE (whatever that stand for!) , I'm on prepaid 3 GB plan. You saying that my 3GB data is still being eating away/ diminished, even though I"m on wifi?ie I'm clicked dropdown, entered by wifi user/ pass. ie same with when use Starbucks wifi, still depleting my data?
  • If you make a phone call or send/receive SMS text messages (send a text using the recipients phone number) it will count against your cellular account whether the connection is via WiFi or Cellular.
  • If you download files, stream a movie, update or install apps it will be FREE if you are connected to WiFi. If you are NOT connected to WiFi it will count against your 3GB cellular data limits.

Originally Posted by keys
To get head around, how much data/ $ depletes?
That depends on the size of the download and in the case of phone calls the specifics of your plan.

LTE definition

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55934 09/02/20 09:49 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks JOe, I never download stuff and rarely apps, (actually some itunes) or pandora; so mostly calls and some text. Darn, I assumed wifi all free? But not, data is being consumed? ANd does that apply to when I'm in hotel or starbucks and sign into their wifi?

kevs #55940 09/03/20 05:02 PM

DATA is FREE IF YOU ARE CONNECTED TO WIFI and it doesn't make any difference whose WiFi.

DATA counts against your cellular plan's download limits IF YOU HAVE A CELLULAR CONNECTION.

ALL PHONE CALLS count against your cellular plan regardless of whether the connection is via WiFi or Cellular

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/03/20 05:04 PM. Reason: emphasis

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55945 09/03/20 05:44 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

JOe, great that really clarifies and your bullet points are fantastic, thanks!

So starbucks, and my house the main benefit for wifi is not phone minutes, but downloading, ie being on internet to sum up? That sums that up good?

Ok now back to the restaurant visit which produced some confusion; I've been using wifi at home and at cafes using the wi - fi setting ( the one in iphone setting right between airplane and bluetooth)
I enter name, the passwords etc.

But last week, I was at a lodge/ restaurant lobby and they said the reason I could not call (this was in the mountains, high sierras); was I needed to select on the iphone: Cellular (right below Bluetooth), and choose Wifi calling, and turn that on.
So there lies the confusion. I had never ever peeked into this setting cellular calling.

I guess that was a rare scenario, where I needed their wifi just to call; as 6k up in mountains.... and I guess for 6 years I've had iphone, I'll be in startbucks, and while I'm might be on their wifi, that more for Internet/ email, but not so much for calling?

I guess I'd assume till then, the normal wifi setting handed the calling as well as the internet.

BTW IRA/ JOE my plan data is 3GB

Last edited by kevs; 09/03/20 06:21 PM.
joemikeb #55947 09/03/20 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
DATA is FREE IF YOU ARE CONNECTED TO WIFI and it doesn't make any difference whose WiFi.

DATA counts against your cellular plan's download limits IF YOU HAVE A CELLULAR CONNECTION.

ALL PHONE CALLS count against your cellular plan regardless of whether the connection is via WiFi or Cellular

Some providers (e.g., Xfinity/Comcast) have a monthly limit on wifi data. Ours is 1000 GB (1 TB), which for most people and myself is way more than needed.

Also, you say "ALL PHONE CALLS count against your cellular plan…". What do you mean, against the data in your cellular plan? How? Number of calls, length of call?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
kevs #56004 09/04/20 07:07 PM

So starbucks, and my house the main benefit for wifi is not phone minutes, but downloading, ie being on internet to sum up? That sums that up good?
In a word YES.

Originally Posted by keys
Ok now back to the restaurant visit which produced some confusion; I've been using wifi at home and at cafes using the wi - fi setting ( the one in iphone setting right between airplane and bluetooth)
I am not sure what the issue was at the Restaraunt. However, high in the Sierras, it would not surprise me if there were no cellular connections available (, i.e. zero bars); leaving WiFi calling was the only way to make a telephone call. I run into that frequently in the mountain states, west Texas, and New Mexico.

• I always have WiFi calling activated and allow the iPhone to choose whether the WiFi or Cellular network provides the best connection FOR TELEPHONE CALLS. (In either case calls are charged against m,y cellular account, so it doesn't make any difference.)
  • I leave CELLULAR DATA turned ON because it is needed for Maps and other applications when I am in my car but I very carefully curate each individual app's use of cellular data to prevent unnecessary use.
  • I have Cellular data Roaming turned OFF because roaming (data over another provider's network) can be VERY expensive. It gets turned on only when it is the only available option.

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #56005 09/04/20 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
Some providers (e.g., Xfinity/Comcast) have a monthly limit on wifi data. Ours is 1000 GB (1 TB), which for most people and myself is way more than needed.
I would say that is true of ALL providers as even so-called unlimited data plans often drastically slow data after a given monthly threshold is reached. (CAUTION: major ISP's are wanting to apply that same practice to all internet access.)

Originally Posted by ira L
Also, you say "ALL PHONE CALLS count against your cellular plan…". What do you mean, against the data in your cellular plan? How? Number of calls, length of call?
Depends on your provider and your plan.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56015 09/04/20 10:25 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Great info thanks Joe.

You mentioned in past in Google Maps to to make sure app off, when done or not using; but I don't think anything will count against you if the app is on, BUT , have not yet clicked start yet or exited the search.

kevs #56027 09/05/20 05:22 PM

Great info thanks Joe.

You mentioned in past in Google Maps to to make sure app off, when done or not using; but I don't think anything will count against you if the app is on, BUT , have not yet clicked start yet or exited the search.
If you are moving and Google Maps or Apple Map is open in either foreground or background you will be using GPS and cellular. Cellular is used to refine your location and improve accuracy. Don't ask me to explain how that works, as I have no idea.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56089 09/07/20 09:13 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, and that bleeds your data? Just having it on even though the start has not been activated?

(do you know if negligible or substantial?)

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard