FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
First Look At Big Sur
#55396 07/25/20 01:44 PM
OP Offline

OWC's Rocket Yard Blog takes their first look at Big Sur. Now when will the public beta finally be available so I can look too?

I am already running the Big Sur version of Safari, and that is NOT Safari Technology Preview, but the real deal which Apple has released independently of Big Sur for beta testing. Except for an annoying habit of the cursor disappearing when switching between tabs or windows, I like it. There are some significant and I believe useful new features. Nothing dramatic, but certainly evolutionary. In terms of performance, it is, If anything, faster than the Catalina version, but it would take more sensitive instrumentation, and patience, than I have to put an actual performance value on it. In case you are wondering, I can't tell if this version has both Apple SoC and Intel code or not. 🤷‍♂️

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: First Look At Big Sur
joemikeb #55401 07/25/20 02:58 PM

Take a look at ArchiChect to check applications for Apple Silicon on Chip, 64-bit Intel (and Intel-32, PowerPC code 32 or 64).

For a visual comparison of Catalina and Big Sur (the OSes, not the places grin), this is well done.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #55408 07/25/20 04:12 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Ira that is a great site, and the Catalina configuration chart is very informative.

Unfortunately, the Catalina version of ArchiChect only looks for Intel or PPC (Power PC) code and not Apple SoC, but I suspect that will change sooner rather than later.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55453 07/27/20 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Thanks, Ira that is a great site, and the Catalina configuration chart is very informative.

Unfortunately, the Catalina version of ArchiChect only looks for Intel or PPC (Power PC) code and not Apple SoC, but I suspect that will change sooner rather than later.

I don't read their description the same way as you do. I took it to mean there are currently no Apple SoC apps to check, so ArchiChect won't show anything in that respect, independent of Catalina. But you were wondering if your review version of Safari had SoC capabilities, so check it with ArchiChect and if it does it should show that, no?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #55455 07/27/20 08:40 PM
OP Offline

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55456 07/27/20 10:10 PM

"Format=App bundle with Mach-O thin (x86_64)"

So this doesn't sing to me of SoC just yet......looks like Intel rather than ARM.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
joemikeb #55464 07/28/20 04:16 PM

Interesting. Your post does not even show the Apple SoC check box option or include the warning "this app has no support for Apple Silicon" as shown in my screenshot of the current Safari in ArchiChect 2.4. So something is different in your Safari developer build, understandably. But where is the denial of Apple SoC? tongue

On a Mac since 1984.
joemikeb #55648 08/12/20 05:12 PM

Two interesting and useful links:

This one discusses compatibility of hardware and software with Big Sur.

The second one gives a visual comparison of Big Sur to Catalina.

Both are interesting to those of us who may not be running beta versions of osMac 11 (also known as 10.16) and it seems as if the first list will be updated as things progress.

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #55651 08/12/20 08:22 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Both are interesting to those of us who may not be running beta versions of osMac 11 (also known as 10.16) and it seems as if the first list will be updated as things progress.

As to what it is called, I take my cue from this. Some of the graphics issue reported in the second article are not present in the current public beta or at least not on my Mac mini.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55668 08/13/20 01:44 PM
OP Offline

A surprising fail. DaisyDisk sees anything and everything on the Big Sur boot drive as Read Only.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55676 08/13/20 04:58 PM

As to what it is called, I take my cue from this. Some of the graphics issue reported in the second article are not present in the current public beta or at least not on my Mac mini.

That may be what it is called to the general public, but I have read a couple articles discussing the fact that lots of current software check the System version before running so that it can present itself in a compatible manner. They look for 10.x.x and act accordingly. The author said that lots of code would need rewriting to address 11.x.x. Maybe it's simple, maybe not but Apple later said it would use both 11.x.x and 10.16.x notation, at least initially, internally for these kinds of checks.

Eventually Apple would probably expect software to be capable of addressing 11.x.x as well as 10.y.x, where y≤15. grin

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #55680 08/13/20 05:20 PM

That may be what it is called to the general public, but I have read a couple articles discussing the fact that lots of current software check the System version before running so that it can present itself in a compatible manner. They look for 10.x.x and act accordingly. The author said that lots of code would need rewriting to address 11.x.x. Maybe it's simple, maybe not but Apple later said it would use both 11.x.x and 10.16.x notation, at least initially, internally for these kinds of checks.

Eventually Apple would probably expect software to be capable of addressing 11.x.x as well as 10.y.x, where y≤15. grin

Sounds similar to the initial issues when OS X went from 10.9 to 10.10 rather than 11.0.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #55682 08/13/20 05:25 PM

A surprising fail. DaisyDisk sees anything and everything on the Big Sur boot drive as Read Only.

Keeping in mind to whom I'm speaking I'll still ask if DD is maybe seeing only your System volume and not your entire installation?

It never saw my entire installation until yesterday when, and don't ask me why it needed to, it asked for my registration info which I clearly remember having entered immediately after purchasing it.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #55692 08/14/20 09:28 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
[Keeping in mind to whom I'm speaking I'll still ask if DD is maybe seeing only your System volume and not your entire installation?

It never saw my entire installation until yesterday when, and don't ask me why it needed to, it asked for my registration info which I clearly remember having entered immediately after purchasing it.

I get the same results when DaisyDisk scans only my user folder and I am using the App Store version.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55696 08/14/20 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
[Keeping in mind to whom I'm speaking I'll still ask if DD is maybe seeing only your System volume and not your entire installation?

I get the same results when DaisyDisk scans only my user folder and I am using the App Store version.

Although I can't see any reason why it would, I wonder if the direct d/l version would yield different results?

artie505 #55704 08/14/20 07:57 PM
OP Offline

I suspect it is a coding problem brought about by the dramatic changes in Big Sur's internal organization and protection. Remember, at present only the data volume can be cloned, even using Apple's own ASR utility and Time Machine will only back up the data volume. In retrospect, that shouldn't be a surprise because iOS and iPadOS never backed up the system either.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55797 08/24/20 02:25 PM
OP Offline

So Long Airport Utility.

It takes a while to get around to all apps and this morning I encountered an old Apple App that no longer works, "Airport Utility". It launches normally, reads all the settings and everything works until I tried to make a change when it reported an internal error and unable to complete. I knew it was coming but I am tempted to pay taps for an old friend of many years -- My Apple Router

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55799 08/24/20 03:25 PM

So Long Airport Utility.

It takes a while to get around to all apps and this morning I encountered an old Apple App that no longer works, "Airport Utility". It launches normally, reads all the settings and everything works until I tried to make a change when it reported an internal error and unable to complete. I knew it was coming but I am tempted to pay taps for an old friend of many years -- My Apple Router

I just got this error message in Catalina when I tried to change my band from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz and again when I tried to change my AirPort Express Base Station password. (I can't begin to remember the last time I tried to change anything in AU, but the error message is definitely a new thing.)

Is it the same error you're seeing?

I use my Verizon router for Internet, so I don't mind not being able to change my settings as long as AirPlay continues to work.

(I've got no idea in which thread it was, but we touched on this subject a while ago.)

artie505 #55803 08/24/20 05:36 PM
OP Offline

Worded slightly different but the messge.

Airport Utiity in iOS 14.0 dooesn't even offer to permit changing anything. Oh well the Time Capsule is still working, sort of. (The 5GHz band does no connect to the internet?) I don't really need the Time Capsule except for several Homekit devices that are 2.4GHz band only and do not play nice with my mesh routers. An inexpensive 2.4GHz router costs about the same as any one one of those devices which means the Time Capsule is probably on the chopping block.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55804 08/25/20 05:23 AM

I hope I can look forward to a long life for my AirPort Express Base Station as Apple's ancient AirPort Express miraculously gets AirPlay 2 support leads me to suspect, if not believe, will be the case. (And if not, I"ve still got cables to connect my stereo to Music.app via my audio out jack...which, because of the jack's location, would be a logistical nightmare. frown mad )

I hope there are just plain too many users out there who haven't got smart speakers, which is my situation with my $100 each Polk Monitors 50s which have got many years left in them, for Apple to pull the plug on the original AirPlay functionality.

artie505 #55853 08/30/20 08:01 PM

Although the data are limited so far, there is some information about Big Sur compatibility with third-party apps at https://roaringapps.com/apps?platform=osx

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #55908 09/01/20 09:47 PM
OP Offline

Well here is an interesting incompatibility. the latest macOS 11 beta broke Apple's own Music app. It crashes reliably on launch. 😳

It still works on iOS/iPadOS however.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55929 09/02/20 08:41 PM
OP Offline

SITUATION

For a long time, I have had System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud Drive > Options > Desktop & Documents Folders activated. But there has always been a noticeable lag between creating/editing a file in the Documents folder and its upload to the Documents folder on iCloud and the distinction between the two versions has been clear. Today I noticed a change in Big Sur, and it is still a bit discombobulating.

~/Documents (the user's document folder) has disappeared from Finder in Big Sur. There is a Finder > Preferences > Sidebar option to show Documents, but when activated the Documents folder shows up as an iCloud folder. Selecting that Documents folder shows at the top of the window that it is /Users/joSemikeb/Documents, as expected. But in the filepath at the bottom of the Finder window, the path is iCloud > Documents. Obviously the Documents folder is on both the local drive as well as iCloud as the files are accessible when my Mac mini is disconnected from the network. If I edit a file on my mac mini they appear almost instantly in the file on iCloud as seen on my iPhone. When I use Go To Folder ~/Documents, to get around invisible folders and flags, I end up in iCloud/Documents.

MY CONCLUSION
  • The user Desktop and Documents folders, and their content, physically exists on both the local drive and on iCloud
  • Big. Sur hides the local version of the of both folders
  • Big Sur directs you to
  • Some applications, such as Daisy Disk that work at a lower level can see the local version of these folders but those are invisible to most applications
  • My assumption is Time Machine backs up the local Documents and Desktop folders
  • The sync process between the local and iCloud versions has been streamlined and optimized to the point any lag is unnoticeable
  • In day to day use whether you are working on the local or iCloud drive is indistinguishable and immaterial.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55930 09/02/20 09:18 PM
OP Offline

OFF AGAIN AND ON AGAIN

ScanSnap Home, the application that comes with Fujitsu scanners was broken by the first Big Sur public beta so I had to resort to the standby scanning app, VueScan. VueScan is a great, very flexible, and enormously powerful scanning app, but it is and awkward fit, in my workflow. This morning I absent-mindedly launched ScanSnap Home once again and it appears the latest Big Sur beta had restored it to full functionality. 👍👌🧨😎

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56025 09/05/20 04:37 PM
OP Offline

IF YOU CLONE YOUR SYSTEM...

The following note was included in the latest Carbon Copy Cloner beta update:
Originally Posted by CCC
This build continues our beta testing cycle for macOS "Big Sur" 11. In the current macOS beta, CCC will create Data Volume backups of any Big Sur startup volumes. Apple's APFS replication utility is not currently capable of replicating a Big Sur System volume (as of Big Sur Beta 6). We're working with Apple to develop the functionality within macOS that will allow third-party backup applications to continue making backups of macOS System volumes. In the meantime, we're making complete backups of your data, and those backups can be seamlessly used alongside the macOS Installer or Migration Assistant to produce a bootable backup or to facilitate a restore.

— Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard