FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wait for Apple Silicon
#55592 08/07/20 01:43 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

Intel hacked, first wave of stolen chip data released in 20GB dump I would wait for Apple Silicon and not buy now.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: Wait for Apple Silicon
jchuzi #55597 08/07/20 10:10 PM

Thanks for that. I guess I could wait in buying a new iPad. In the meantime, with any older Macs, I guess we just make sure we are careful about complying with the MacOs security protocols.

Last edited by ryck; 08/07/20 10:16 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #55600 08/07/20 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Thanks for that. I guess I could wait in buying a new iPad. In the meantime, with any older Macs, I guess we just make sure we are careful about complying with the MacOs security protocols.

All iPads have always used Apple Silicon. In fact, the Mac minis running Apple silicon that developers got at the WWDC to use in developing Apple SoC compatible apps are using the same processor that is in the current iPad Pro. You can safely buy an iPad without worrying about any Intel issues.

That said, I would be reluctant to buy the just-released iMacs because they are still running Intel processors. I would rather wait until an iMac is released with Apple Silicon inside.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55604 08/08/20 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
That said, I would be reluctant to buy the just-released iMacs because they are still running Intel processors. I would rather wait until an iMac is released with Apple Silicon inside.

There's no arguing about taste, but let’s balance that with 5 reasons to buy a new 27-i...acworld tongue

alternaut moderator
alternaut #55606 08/09/20 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
There's no arguing about taste, but let’s balance that with 5 reasons to buy a new 27-i...acworld tongue

Admittedly more speed, improved cameras, better screen, et cetera..... but what about possible security issues arising from the stolen Intel chip data?

Last edited by ryck; 08/09/20 04:31 AM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #55610 08/09/20 05:14 PM

... but what about possible security issues arising from the stolen Intel chip data?

What about it indeed. Right now we don’t know if or when the purloined data will be transformed into malware; it’s just a possibility. And even should such malware appear, chances are that the user can avoid it, as stated in Jon’s linked article: “As it is with any malware, it must be installed to the computer in order to attack. If any such malware is created by this, users will have to willingly bypass the security protocols built into macOS. Some attacks can be hidden within files or physical drives, so always be aware of where your hardware or software is coming from.”
And as soon as Apple gets hacked (a question of time, really), that'd also apply to its hardware. Meanwhile, there is tons of unrelated malware around, and then I’m not even talking about the ‘legal’ all-invasive government and commercial undermining of net security and privacy, which is being hacked regular as clockwork. So again, what about it?

alternaut moderator
alternaut #55613 08/10/20 08:05 AM

... but what about possible security issues arising from the stolen Intel chip data?

What about it indeed. Right now we don’t know if or when the purloined data will be transformed into malware; it’s just a possibility. And even should such malware appear, chances are that the user can avoid it, as stated in Jon’s linked article: “As it is with any malware, it must be installed to the computer in order to attack. If any such malware is created by this, users will have to willingly bypass the security protocols built into macOS. Some attacks can be hidden within files or physical drives, so always be aware of where your hardware or software is coming from.”

No need to quote the article about the things that users should be doing to protect themselves. In our home that has been the modus operandi for a long time and, in fact, we go a step further. Whenever we receive a phishing email we forward it to the company who it is purported to be from, and we include complete Header information.

And as soon as Apple gets hacked (a question of time, really), that'd also apply to its hardware. Meanwhile, there is tons of unrelated malware around, and then I’m not even talking about the ‘legal’ all-invasive government and commercial undermining of net security and privacy, which is being hacked regular as clockwork. So again, what about it?

Perhaps my question should have been clearer. Not having a full understanding of the technical possibilities of the Intel chip data being in the wrong hands, my concern was about the potential for placing malware on the computers of people who do comply with the security protocols built into the MacOS - by bypassing those user efforts. Your response doesn’t expand my knowledge in that regard.

And as soon as Apple gets hacked (a question of time, really), that'd also apply to its hardware.

If you are correct, and there is an inevitability to Apple being hacked, I would feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with Apple being “on the case” to solve a security issue involving Apple chips than I would with Intel addressing a security issue with Intel chips.

Last edited by ryck; 08/10/20 08:20 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #55636 08/12/20 12:41 AM

No need to quote the article about the things that users should be doing to protect themselves. In our home that has been the modus operandi for a long time…

I had little doubt you’d be on top of that, but the quote was intended more for those who aren’t, or hadn’t followed that link. tongue

Perhaps my question should have been clearer. Not having a full understanding of the technical possibilities of the Intel chip data being in the wrong hands, my concern was about the potential for placing malware on the computers of people who do comply with the security protocols built into the MacOS - by bypassing those user efforts. Your response doesn’t expand my knowledge in that regard.

Without going into too great detail, or suggesting that I am an expert on the topic, the malware possibility premise here somewhat resembles the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities referred to in your Verge link, albeit from a different perspective. At that time, software ‘fixes’ were supposed to ameliorate the consequences of the hardware flaws until the transition to newer CPU designs naturally phased out the problem. I recall little fuss beyond that initial incident, other than the fact that things were pretty much out of users’ hands.
Regardless of the actual status of the work to deal with these flaws, this workaround approach is pretty much the only one available. Keeping quiet about the current status suggests things may not be entirely hunky dory, but what are you going to do with constraints all over the place? Your hardware is already out there, and is being used. I suspect the current situation will likely be addressed in similar ways, and that’s why it’s good to know there are some who keep a eye on that. cool

If you are correct, and there is an inevitability to Apple being hacked, I would feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with Apple being “on the case” to solve a security issue involving Apple chips than I would with Intel addressing a security issue with Intel chips.

The problem with little or limited information is that it’s impossible to make a definitive call, beyond perhaps showing that there still are exploitable flaws after fixes are announced. I don’t expect that to be different should Apple find itself in a similar bind. How exactly it would respond is equally hard to predict, but Apple is known to be rather reticent to discuss issues far less problematic than the Intel ones (which it—as a user—undoubtedly had a part in addressing). If that floats your boat… shocked

alternaut moderator
alternaut #56131 09/10/20 01:55 PM

Rumors say Apple silicon may double performance scores.
Originally Posted by Cult of Mac
Rumors are that Apple Silicon CPUs will be absolute screamers.

Based on benchmarks of Apple’s current chips, plus scuttlebutt that Apple’s desktop CPUs will double performance cores, it’s a safe bet they could easily deliver 2X current iPads’ multicore score, which would make them blisteringly fast.
They’re about to go into production, according to a report from the sometimes-reliable Taiwanese trade paper Digitimes. Which is all exciting stuff. Apple Silicon is on the near horizon, and we can’t wait to see how fast these machines are.

Another reason to wait?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56208 09/20/20 10:04 PM

Sadly, I won't be upgrading to Apple Silicon any time soon. I have too much need of Windows, and Windows won't run in Apple Silicon--not in Boot Camp nor in Parallels.

Back in the PowerPC days, I had two computers on my desk, one Windows and one Mac. When Apple moved to Intel, I didn't have to do that any more. Now it looks like I will have to go back to those days eventually, but I plan to hold out as long as possible first!

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard