FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Activity monitor, where is CPU go on laptop
#55527 08/02/20 01:13 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Laptop only, not desktop, super slow last night internet, so looking of a culprit and see this:

https://postimg.cc/MXmkH314

Why is CPU not there? So slow, unusually internet everything else barley came up at all. Also any clues from this screenshot culprit? Maybe because laptop is 8 years old itself? Someting in hardware? Thanks

Re: Activity monitor, where is CPU go on laptop
kevs #55529 08/02/20 03:09 PM

When something occurs that is otherwise inexplicable; my first reaction is to restart the computer. If the problem continues, I will perform a cold boot (power down completely, wait several seconds, then boot). In my experience, that resolves most such occurrences.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55536 08/02/20 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
When something occurs that is otherwise inexplicable; my first reaction is to restart the computer. If the problem continues, I will perform a cold boot (power down completely, wait several seconds, then boot). In my experience, that resolves most such occurrences.

I've gone past the restart and now shut down by default.

Shutting down not only cures all ills that a restart cures, it eliminates the potential need for a second procedure, i.e. a shut down after a failed restart.

Is there anything faulty in my logic?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #55538 08/02/20 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505

Your logic is perfectly sound, but I suspect most will try the reboot first on the theory that it is faster, easier, and might work.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55545 08/03/20 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505

Your logic is perfectly sound, but I suspect most will try the reboot first on the theory that it is faster, easier, and might work.

I felt that way years ago, because shutting down/starting up took more than a minute, but it now takes 30 seconds at most, which isn't a heck of a lot more time than a restart takes.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #55549 08/03/20 04:15 PM

Yes, an 8-year old laptop could be the culprit. When I look at my "modern" 6-year old iMac with 16 GB of RAM and a Quad-core Intel i5 processor, my System CPU usage is under 4%, where yours is almost 64%.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #55553 08/03/20 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Yes, an 8-year old laptop could be the culprit. When I look at my "modern" 6-year old iMac with 16 GB of RAM and a Quad-core Intel i5 processor, my System CPU usage is under 4%, where yours is almost 64%.

Something is not right and it goes beyond Activity Monitor. It isn't unusual for the Kernel task to be at or near the top of the list of CPU using tasks, but for the system to use 2/3 of the possible CPU cycles ❓❓❓Neither is there any indication of any user task using the remaining 1/3 as indicated by Activity Monitor. Either there is a total runaway task running, or Activity Monitor is completely knackered.

Personally I wouldn't put any reliance on what keys' Activity Monitor is reporting other than something is haywire. Which is why I suggested a cold boot just to stabilize (hopefully eliminate) whatever is going on.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard