FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Needing to reconnect to the internet often
#55516 08/01/20 05:35 PM
OP Offline

Ever since I got my new router, my old MacBook Pro, which I use to pay bills, has been disconnecting from the internet every time it goes to sleep. I have to go in and put the password in before it will connect to wi-fi. My iPhone and my newer MacBook Pro don't do this. Is there some preference or something that I can check that may be causing this? I haven't added any extensions or apps to this Mac since I got my newer Mac over 3 years ago.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Needing to reconnect to the internet often
plantsower #55517 08/01/20 07:47 PM

Remember you are running Sierra and I am looking at Catalina so there might be some variance in what I say and what you see so please bear with me. The steps should be close enough to follow.
  1. Go to System Preferences > Network
  2. click on Wi-Fi in the sidebar
  3. click on the Advanced... button near the bottom right of the window
  4. click on the Wi-Fi tab
  5. in the list of Preferred Networks find the name of your local area network
  6. If it is not at the top of the list, click on it and drag it to the top
  7. be sure the checkbox in the Auto-Join column is checked [✓]
  8. Click OK
  9. Click Apply
NOTES: If you see a lot of networks in the list you don't recognize, they have most likely migrated there from your iPhone to you Mac and you can delete them by selecting each and clicking the minus sign (−) at the bottom left of the list -- or not.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55519 08/01/20 09:42 PM
OP Offline

Thanks. I did what you said, but there is no auto join column to check on either Mac. There is a "remember networks this computer has joined" box which is checked. The home network is already on top.

So nothing I did was different. frown

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Remember you are running Sierra and I am looking at Catalina so there might be some variance in what I say and what you see so please bear with me. The steps should be close enough to follow.
  1. Go to System Preferences > Network
  2. click on Wi-Fi in the sidebar
  3. click on the Advanced... button near the bottom right of the window
  4. click on the Wi-Fi tab
  5. in the list of Preferred Networks find the name of your local area network
  6. If it is not at the top of the list, click on it and drag it to the top
  7. be sure the checkbox in the Auto-Join column is checked [✓]
  8. Click OK
  9. Click Apply
NOTES: If you see a lot of networks in the list you don't recognize, they have most likely migrated there from your iPhone to you Mac and you can delete them by selecting each and clicking the minus sign (−) at the bottom left of the list -- or not.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #55520 08/01/20 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Thanks. I did what you said, but there is no auto join column to check on either Mac. There is a "remember networks this computer has joined" box which is checked. The home network is already on top.

And I thought this was going to be easy 🤔 What we have here is a setting that has been moved and an 81-year-old brain trying to remember where the 🤬 it used to be. So let's try this again. Once again in Catalina, in the initial System Preferences > Network window the name of the network appears along with a checkbox to Automatically join this network. I vaguely remember something similar in older versions of MacOS, but I don't remember exactly where it was/is. Look around and see if you can find that somewhere in the Network window or a similar window.

If you find that option and it is turned on, the next thing I would check is to see if the password is in your keychain. Which would prevent automatic connection.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55521 08/02/20 12:08 AM

Once again in Catalina, in the initial System Preferences > Network window the name of the network appears along with a checkbox to Automatically join this network.

That's how it appears in High Sierra, at any rate. Other than the hotspot option, that window's configuration on my Mac matches your screenshot exactly.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
joemikeb #55522 08/02/20 03:56 AM
OP Offline

Password is not in keychain. I read where resetting PRAM or SMC helped some. I'll try that tomorrow.

And I thought this was going to be easy 🤔 What we have here is a setting that has been moved and an 81-year-old brain trying to remember where the 🤬 it used to be. So let's try this again. Once again in Catalina, in the initial System Preferences > Network window the name of the network appears along with a checkbox to Automatically join this network. I vaguely remember something similar in older versions of MacOS, but I don't remember exactly where it was/is. Look around and see if you can find that somewhere in the Network window or a similar window.

If you find that option and it is turned on, the next thing I would check is to see if the password is in your keychain. Which would prevent automatic connection.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #55528 08/02/20 02:55 PM

Password is not in keychain.

Normally when you are prompted and enter a password there is a checkbox to save the password. That should enter the password in your keychain. You will not be able to logon to your network automatically until that is taken care of.

Of course, that leads to another question, "Why isn't the network password in Keychain?" confused

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55530 08/02/20 03:46 PM
OP Offline

Not sure why it's not in my Keychain in either Mac, but I found a weird solution. Someone on a forum mentioned that when they turned blue tooth off, they could connect. I checked and blue tooth was on. No reason for that because I only pay bills with that Mac. I turned it off and put it to sleep. This morning I was able to connect automatically!

Password is not in keychain.

Normally when you are prompted and enter a password there is a checkbox to save the password. That should enter the password in your keychain. You will not be able to logon to your network automatically until that is taken care of.

Of course, that leads to another question, "Why isn't the network password in Keychain?" confused

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #55534 08/02/20 05:05 PM

Not sure why it's not in my Keychain in either Mac, but I found a weird solution. Someone on a forum mentioned that when they turned blue tooth off, they could connect. I checked and blue tooth was on. No reason for that because I only pay bills with that Mac. I turned it off and put it to sleep. This morning I was able to connect automatically!

confused confused confused

I am intrigued by your solution and curious. In System Preferences > Network, does Bluetooth appear in the list of networks? If so what is its status? 🤔

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55535 08/02/20 06:53 PM
OP Offline

On my older Mac it says blue tooth not connected, but then I turned it off the night before. I checked my new Mac and the blue tooth icon is on my toolbar and says it's on, but when I checked in the Networks, it bluetooth not connected. Maybe that just means it's not connected to a blue tooth device, I'm not sure.

I don't know why it's on, but it's not the first time I've had to turn it off without turning it on myself. Being on doesn't seem to make a difference in my newer Mac as far as automatically connecting to wi-fi.

confused confused confused

I am intrigued by your solution and curious. In System Preferences > Network, does Bluetooth appear in the list of networks? If so what is its status? 🤔

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #55537 08/02/20 08:36 PM

On my older Mac it says blue tooth not connected, but then I turned it off the night before. I checked my new Mac and the blue tooth icon is on my toolbar and says it's on, but when I checked in the Networks, it Bluetooth not connected. Maybe that just means it's not connected to a blue tooth device, I'm not sure.

The Not connected simply means there is no Bluetooth network connection for sharing data between devices and has nothing to do with whether Bluetooth is turned on or off or whether any Bluetooth devices are paired with your computer.

I think I've figured out why turning off Bluetooth worked, and the answer is a combination of your new WiFi router and the progress in Bluetooth technology and protocols over the past 8 years. I suspect you are connecting to your WiFi network using the 2.4GHz band (channels 1 through 40). Bluetooth also operates in the 2.4GHz band so there is the possibility of interference.

On the assumption that like most modern WiFi routers, your new router is dual-band (2.4 & 5 GHz) you might try logging onto a 5GHz channel (channel 44 and up). Not only would this eliminate possible interference from Bluetooth devices, but you would also get up to 4 times the bandwidth (speed).

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55546 08/03/20 03:39 PM
OP Offline

you might try logging onto a 5GHz channel (channel 44 and up). Not only would this eliminate possible interference from Bluetooth devices, but you would also get up to 4 times the bandwidth (speed).

I don't actually know how to do this. It was such a nightmare setting up my router (see past posts) that I don't want to fiddle with it. If it is something I can do on my Mac, then directions, please.

On my older Mac it says blue tooth not connected, but then I turned it off the night before. I checked my new Mac and the blue tooth icon is on my toolbar and says it's on, but when I checked in the Networks, it Bluetooth not connected. Maybe that just means it's not connected to a blue tooth device, I'm not sure.

The Not connected simply means there is no Bluetooth network connection for sharing data between devices and has nothing to do with whether Bluetooth is turned on or off or whether any Bluetooth devices are paired with your computer.

I think I've figured out why turning off Bluetooth worked, and the answer is a combination of your new WiFi router and the progress in Bluetooth technology and protocols over the past 8 years. I suspect you are connecting to your WiFi network using the 2.4GHz band (channels 1 through 40). Bluetooth also operates in the 2.4GHz band so there is the possibility of interference.

On the assumption that like most modern WiFi routers, your new router is dual-band (2.4 & 5 GHz) you might try logging onto a 5GHz channel (channel 44 and up). Not only would this eliminate possible interference from Bluetooth devices, but you would also get up to 4 times the bandwidth (speed).

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #55548 08/03/20 04:00 PM

you might try logging onto a 5GHz channel (channel 44 and up). Not only would this eliminate possible interference from Bluetooth devices, but you would also get up to 4 times the bandwidth (speed).

I don't actually know how to do this. It was such a nightmare setting up my router (see past posts) that I don't want to fiddle with it. If it is something I can do on my Mac, then directions, please.

I can't help you deal with channels, Rita, but you MAY be able to log in to the 5GHz network without dealing with your router.

Navigate to System Prefs > Network > Network Name, and click on the arrow to reveal the drop-down.

I'll hope that you can identify your own network, and if you can, you may find that it's listed twice: once followed by a "5" and once followed by a "2.4."

If that's the case, simply make sure that the "5" is selected.

On the other hand, your router may be like mine, which (used to, but) no longer identifies the two bands separately and simply bounces from one to the other on its own depending upon which one is giving better service at the moment.

If that's your situation, you MAY be stuck.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #55551 08/03/20 04:27 PM

I was afraid of that. Without knowing how your router is set up or whether or not it creates a blended network or separate networks for each band I wouldn't know where to begin to advise you.

Just keeping Bluetooth turned off on your old Mac is probably your best option.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55552 08/03/20 04:46 PM

Without knowing how your router is set up or whether or not it creates a blended network or separate networks for each band I wouldn't know where to begin to advise you

Doesn't my suggestion fly?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #55554 08/03/20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505

I was interrupted by a telemed appointment and didn't check when it was over and I finished what I had started, so I had not seen your post when I hit submit.

(Now I have to sign in for a telegym appointment with a Physical Therapist.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55555 08/03/20 05:06 PM

OK, thanks. So Rita may still have a way out of her conundrum.

artie505 #55556 08/03/20 05:20 PM

Yes, and there is also the possibility a more recent version of MacOS might work as well assuming changes in the startup process or network I/O handling, but that is probably less likely.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55564 08/04/20 02:47 AM
OP Offline

I agree. The simple answer.

I was afraid of that. Without knowing how your router is set up or whether or not it creates a blended network or separate networks for each band I wouldn't know where to begin to advise you.

Just keeping Bluetooth turned off on your old Mac is probably your best option.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #55565 08/04/20 02:48 AM
OP Offline

You're always hoping!

Yes, and there is also the possibility a more recent version of MacOS might work as well assuming changes in the startup process or network I/O handling, but that is probably less likely.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #55566 08/04/20 02:57 AM

I agree. The simple answer.

Have you checked System Prefs as I suggested?

Also simple, and, in addition, possibly beneficial.

And, actually, the correct answer if it works. Turning Bluetooth off is merely a workaround, while changing your band from 2.4GHz to 5GHz would be a solution.

artie505 #55567 08/04/20 03:00 AM
OP Offline

Artie: When I clicked on Network, Network Name and the arrow, the drop down box just took me to more names like my firestick and the chance to join other networks. There was no choice to pick Hz's. I tried putting my router number into Google but it couldn't connect. I think I have to connect to my router via ethernet to do anything, and I am too lazy to do that.

Without knowing how your router is set up or whether or not it creates a blended network or separate networks for each band I wouldn't know where to begin to advise you

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #55568 08/04/20 03:16 AM

Doesn't your network have an identifiable name like "Rita's network" or one with the name of your ISP and your unique router ID?

You should be able to find it in the dropdown and see whether it offers you 2.4GHz and 5GHz as options, but since you say that you don't see a way to pick GHz's I guess your router is like mine and bounces back and forth on its own volition.

There's just something wrong with having to disable one functionality to correct another. You don't need Bluetooth, but that's hardly a given.

(I don't remember if this ever came up before, but have you ever tried to connect to your router by entering http://192.168.1.1 in a browser address field?)

artie505 #55569 08/04/20 03:22 AM
OP Offline

Doesn't your network have an identifiable name like "Rita's network" or one with the name of your ISP and your unique router ID?

Yes. I see the name of my network.

You should be able to find it in the dropdown and see whether it offers you 2.4GHz and 5GHz as options, but since you say that you don't see a way to pick GHz's I guess your router is like mine and bounces back and forth on its own volition.

It doesn't show GHz's. Not sure if it's bouncing back and forth. I hope so, I guess.

There's just something wrong with having to disable one functionality to correct another. You don't need Bluetooth, but that's hardly a given.

Right.

(I don't remember if this ever came up before, but have you ever tried to connect to your router by entering http://192.168.1.1 in a browser address field?)

Yes, you must have missed that post. I just did that but it won't connect. It did when I had a Belkin router but not with TP-link. I am pretty sure I have to connect my Mac to the router via ethernet to do anything with it. Too lazy.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #55570 08/04/20 08:19 AM

Yes, you must have missed that post. I just did that but it won't connect. It did when I had a Belkin router but not with TP-link. I am pretty sure I have to connect my Mac to the router via ethernet to do anything with it. Too lazy.

I had a feeling that you had already tried and failed with that URL, but it was worth making sure.

I guess your having to connect to your router with hard wire is a security feature in that it requires physical access to change anything, but it's certainly a nuisance when it seems like a reeeally strong password would suffice. (Aside: I don't get why my preinstalled network password is stronger than my preinstalled router password. It seems like it should be the other way around.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard