An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: MalwareBytes Use the Full Protection or not?
jchuzi #55503 08/01/20 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
The external is formatted APFS.

As, I assume (Yeah, I know.), is the internal.

Time for tech support?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #55506 08/01/20 11:52 AM

Just go be clear, the internal is also APFS. Maybe Full Volume Clone will only be available later, when CCC is out of beta. At any rate, I'll contact tech support.

ADDENDUM: Apparently, that feature is only available in beta and it has several possible drawbacks. Read Performing a Full Volume Clone via Apple Software Restore (Beta)

Last edited by jchuzi; 08/01/20 12:10 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #55508 08/01/20 01:53 PM

On the theory that a picture is worth a thousand words. These images are from CCC version 501021-b2 (6050) that installed itself this morning. this is the setup screen When I click the "clone" button this is the warning that appears. FYI
  • this task has been run several times
  • Snapshots are enabled on both drives
  • CCC Safetynet is disabled in favor of APFS Snapshots.
As near as I can tell the "Full volume clone" is that and more. The single operation clones
  1. The Recover Volume
  2. The Preboot Volume
  3. The Volume Group which includes
    1. The system volume
    2. The Data volume
and is accomplished in two steps
  1. The volume structure
  2. the volume data
There is no comparison of files to determine which files to copy, rather the data is transferred en masse in a single operation.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55512 08/01/20 03:58 PM

Have you tested a clone that used this method to see if everything is kosher?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #55514 08/01/20 04:29 PM

Have you tested a clone that used this method to see if everything is kosher?
Only every time I get a new MacOS beta update which is every few weeks.

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #55525 08/02/20 12:09 PM

Just go be clear, the internal is also APFS. Maybe Full Volume Clone will only be available later, when CCC is out of beta. At any rate, I'll contact tech support.

ADDENDUM: Apparently, that feature is only available in beta....

In addition to the CCC betas which joemike and I run, Full Volume Clone, itself, was individually identified as "Beta" when it first turned up as an option, but the "Beta" was dropped a few CCC beta AND release versions ago, and as far as I know, it should be available to you.

One of my clones has been a Full Volume Clone since the option first turned up, and I've never had any problems with either the "Beta" or release versions.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #55526 08/02/20 12:35 PM

I just sent an inquiry to Mike Bombich about this issue and I'll post back when I receive a reply.

Jon

jchuzi #55557 08/03/20 06:17 PM

Here's Mike's reply:

Mike B. (Bombich Software)
Aug 3, 2020, 1:02 PM EDT

Hi Jonathan,

(My question): Is this version 5.1.20 (6044) of CCC missing something or is Full Volume Clone only available in the beta version of CCC?

(Mike's answer): This version of CCC is definitely not missing anything, that option is only available to folks that check the "Inform me of beta releases" box in CCC's Preferences > Software Update. I don't recommend using that functionality though, I'll probably be pulling it out. Apple's replication utility has proven to be very temperamental (whatever the antithesis of "robust" is, that's the word I'm looking for). We list a few of the issues we're aware of here:

Disadvantages to using ASR

Jon

jchuzi #55560 08/03/20 06:40 PM

Well, Mike's the boss, but his response certainly contradicts

Originally Posted By: Your linked doc
Starting in macOS Catalina, CCC offers a Full Volume Clone method in the popup menu underneath the Source selector.

Even the doc's title: "Performing a Full Volume Clone via Apple Software Restore (Beta)" doesn't make it clear, because as I said, when the option first turned up it was labeled "Full Volume Clone (Beta)" (the (Beta) since having disappeared).

OK, I tested by unchecking the "Inform me of beta releases" pref, and the Full Volume Clone option disappeared. That obviously nails it, but all the same, it's altogether unclear.

I hope Mike doesn't pull the functionality. It's not critical to me, but I like having the ability to create a bootable clone within the same container as my boot volume. Oh, well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

artie505 #55579 08/04/20 06:11 PM

Notice Mike's list of objections to ASR cloning was written ten months ago (October 2019), but ASR is still in the CCC beta and is no longer flagged as a beta option. I find nothing particularly surprising in Mike's original objections, but neither do I find anything to put me off. Nor do I see any of the objections as fatal provided the user exercises good judgment. But I Appreciate Mike's caution because he is supporting a wide range of users and needs to be confident of the reliability of his product. As long as I have it and it is working for me, I will probably continue using ASR; it is just so darn fast and so handy.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55582 08/05/20 07:07 AM

None of the Mike's "disadvantages" is a deal breaker for me; they're more things to be Aware of than BEware of.

As you say, it's sooo darn fast and convenient. (My entire installation is about 30 GB, and even when I delete my Checkpoint snapshot, FVC takes no longer than a minute or two to clone it.)

I hadn't noticed that Mike's doc is ten months old. Maybe FVC's still being an option is a positive sign?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard