An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21
The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ...
#50521 11/21/18 10:01 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

(Perhaps the only way for poetic justice to prevail.)

Trump Stands Up for Saudi Arabian Values [New York Times editorial]

Surprising? Not in the least. What do you expect from a malignant imbecilic narcissist?

Last edited by cyn; 11/26/19 12:29 PM. Reason: Thread subject line changed from "Maybe 45 needs to end it all with a .45" per request.
Re: The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ...
grelber #50522 11/21/18 10:40 AM

...dictator wannabe.

He sucks up to dictators because he admires their "accomplishments".

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50524 11/21/18 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Maybe 45 needs to end it with a .45

...and replace a dunce with an ultraconservative religious fanatic like Mike Pense❓‼️❓. Shades of the Spanish Inquisition. Trump is like a drop of water on a hot griddle bouncing from issue to issue attempting to hide his incompetence, but Pense is single minded in wanting this country to be a theocracy. We would be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

My hope is our representatives and senators will "person up" (enough of the new faces are female to make "man up" seem inappropriate and ill advised), quit the overly partisan in-fighting and focus on the nation's greater good. One Washington reporter noted there are a lot of former military among the new faces in the next congress and he has found that they have a common objective to not get caught up in partisan wrangling get the job done. If they can retain that attitude, Trump will still be an annoyance for the next two years, but better Trump than Pense

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50526 11/21/18 04:39 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Maybe 45 needs to end it with a .45

...and replace a dunce with an ultraconservative religious fanatic like Mike Pense❓‼️❓ ...

The title premise could apply to 45' (45-prime) too. Even the 1873 Colt had 6 chambers, not to mention the 1911 Colt M1A1 semiauto with even more capacity. There's enough 'solution' for every 'deserving' body.

joemikeb #50527 11/21/18 04:50 PM

Here's something to ponder...

Considering the constraints of the Constitution, and the makeup of Congress, the Supreme Court, and the military, has Trump got a better or worse chance of turning the country into a dictatorship than Pence has got of turning it into a theocracy?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50528 11/21/18 05:50 PM

Good point Artie but given Republican senators are now calling Trump to task for his stand on the Saudi prince's actions, a Democratic majority in the House of Representatives, and although the military does tend to be conservative it has been dragging its feet on many of the presidential hot buttons until they fall off the Hair God's radar and forgotten. I am not sure how much real influence he has. He does make a lot of noise, gets a lot of press, is an international joke, and an embarrassment to the nation but we can survive that.

Pense isn't the brightest candle on the alter of ultra-conservative Catholicism, but he knows congress and is cagier than Trump in dealing with them. (Trump appears to consider congress an unnecessary impediment to his reign.) As president I think Pense is far more likely to get truly onerous legislation past. The best analogy I can think of is John F Kennedy and Lyndon Baines Johnson. Both very intelligent but Kennedy was far more urbane and charismatic but in spite of that was unable to get any meaningful social legislation through congress. On the other hand, although he was personally leery of most of the civil rights legislation espoused by Kennedy and the liberal wing of the Democratic Party, when Johnson became president he was able to push it all through. Not because he was likable or liked but because he knew congress and where all the bodies were buried. Mike Pense is no Lyndon Johnson, but he does have that insider knowledge that makes for effective politics.

Something else to consider, have you looked at the ages of all of the leading Republicans in congress lately? Some of them are old enough to have invented dirt. How many more terms in office can 80 and 90 year olds serve survive?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50541 11/25/18 07:13 AM

I had to get Thanksgiving and our Colluder In Chief's humble declaration that he's thankful that America's got him deep in the background of my rear view mirror before I could get back to this.

Pence's ability to deal with Congress is something, but it's not at all comparable to LBJ's. The influence he gained during his twelve years in the House (two as Chair of the House Republican Conference) pales into insignificance by comparison to that gained by Johnson during his twelve years in the House and twelve in the Senate (two as Majority Whip, two as Minority Leader, and six as Majority Leader) back during the days when the two parties were separated by a mere aisle, not a barbed wire entanglement.

And although Catholicism has more adherents than any other religion in the U.S., I suspect that a lot of adherents of the other religions are at least a bit wary of it (In his next incarnation, Mueller could be investigating Vatican interference with the democratic process. shocked ), not to mention that its largest voting block, Latinos, is hardly enamored of Republicans of any persuasion.

Trump's personality cult (Perish the thought that he ever starts cultivating Generals!) may actually give him more sway in Congress and the streets than Pence could ever hope for.

I'll believe the Republicans' indignation over his kowtowing to yet another dictator when I see, not just hear, their response, and the Democratic controlled House is a fait accompli for both.

The wild card is the Supreme Court and how far its commitment to the principles of the Constitution has strayed.

This, by the way, is Trump's prototype uniform for when he takes over. (Even kinda looks like him.)

Footnote: List of current United States Senators by age (That list as of November 24, 2018 includes John McCain, so I dunno.)

Those in their 80's may actually have an election or two left in their careers.

artie505 #50548 11/26/18 05:55 PM

Abilities and talent aside, Pence himself said: "I'm a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, in that order."

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #50549 11/26/18 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
....Pence himself said: "I'm a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, in that order."

Given all the unChristian things that Trump has done and said, and which Pence has ignored, perhaps he should have said: "I'm a malleable Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, in that order."

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #50550 11/26/18 08:58 PM

"Malleable Christian"? Is that synonymous with hypocrite?

Last edited by jchuzi; 11/26/18 08:59 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #50551 11/26/18 09:33 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: jchuzi

Not necessarily. All religions and ethical persuasions have built-in "safety valves" which allow for inconsistencies to be tolerated/legitimated within their constructs.
Thus, for example, could the Inquisition and the behavior of its Christian practitioners be justified.

grelber #50552 11/27/18 06:04 AM

Not necessarily. All religions and ethical persuasions have built-in "safety valves" which allow for inconsistencies to be tolerated/legitimated within their constructs.
Thus, for example, could the Inquisition and the behavior of its Christian practitioners be justified.

Ha! So codification negates hypocrisy?

Ira L #50553 11/27/18 06:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Abilities and talent aside, Pence himself said: "I'm a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, in that order."

He calls himself a "born again, evangelical Catholic, Kabbalist", which sounds more like an attempt to cover all bases than a forthcoming description, and indeed, some of his responses to questions about his faith leading up to the election (What it means that Mike Pence called himself an ‘evangelical Catholic’) seem to support that line of thinking.

But I"m not sure that addresses your point.

artie505 #50554 11/27/18 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Ha! So codification negates hypocrisy?

No, but when any religious group takes the position their particular ethos is the ONLY correct understanding of God, they become a sect and the lifespan of sects are notoriously short. They either disagree among themselves on the exact meaning/interpretation of scripture and splinter into ever smaller groups until they become inconsequential or in extreme cases drink Koolaid.

All of the great teachers and prophets such as Isaiah, Jesus, Mohamed, Buddha, Guru Nanek, etc. have been tolerant of a wide range of interpretation. In fact in the Gospel of Luke, Jesus was crucified because he, "sat and ate with sinners". In my faith tradition, Presbyterian, one of our fundamental principals is mutual forbearance for differing opinions. There have been divisions (and reunions) in our denomination over the centuries, but the divisions always arose from the failure/inability of a group to follow that one basic principal and I would venture that is true of all human organizations.

Back to Mike Pence. As a good Roman Catholic he has confessed the Pope as his spiritual leader, but he has expressed strong opposition to the Pope's leadership on many "hot button" issues (typically sex or gender related such as the status of LGBTQ persons in the church, and the possibility of ordaining women) where the Pope has expressed a far more open position than his predecessor. Pence is bordering on becoming a member of an ultra- conservative sect.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50749 12/24/18 08:45 PM

This article is truly frightening because its statements ring true: Time for G.O.P. to Threaten to Fire Trump. I cannot have confidence that Republicans care more for our country than they do about their own power.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #50751 12/24/18 11:08 PM

I cannot have confidence that Republicans care more for our country than they do about their own power.

But they've already seen their power begin to erode, and they may be able to retain what's left of it, if not reverse the erosion, by dumping Trump in favor of Pence; and, and I hate to say it out loud because they may be listening, giving him two years in office before the next election might be their best path to retaining the White House in 2020.

More: Unfortunately, though, they'll never do the job in time to limit him to only one full term, so if he should be elected in 2020 he'll be able to run again in 2024.

But at this point, I don't know if I can see him as worse than Trump. frown (I think his agenda will more subject to Constitutional restraint than Trump's is.)

More: 25 seconds to post

Last edited by artie505; 12/25/18 01:35 AM. Reason: Expand/Clarify

jchuzi #50753 12/25/18 01:54 AM

I am a big fan of Tom Friedman and generally find his comments thoughtful and worthy of attention. But in this case, many equally knowledgeable commentators and more than a few notable Republicans are convinced that Trump and the alt-right have successfully neutered the Republican Party and there is no effective party apparatus or leadership remaining. So who or what are these Republicans, Tom Friedman is calling on to "fire" Trump? The Republican leadership in both the house and senate are firmly in Trump's camp if not his pocket. The arch conservatives have pretty much driven any moderate Republicans out of congress if not out of politics altogether. Even Trump himself in one of his twitter storms has declared that the remaining Republicans in congress are members of "his" party and he has no use for "Republicans".

So my question, "...who or what are these Republicans, Tom Friedman is calling on to "fire" Trump?" remains along with the equally important question, would Trump give a D@&* if they called on him to resign?

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/25/18 02:02 AM. Reason: minor corrections

— Albert Einstein
grelber #50786 12/29/18 06:21 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

The plethora of recent actions/proclamations by Bozo in Chief indicates just how irrational nigh unto psychotic he is, and his behavior just keeps crossing boundaries of the extreme. He makes Caligula and Nero look like human rights activists.
How by any stretch of the imagination is this making America great again?! confused

And, when, oh when, are (rational) Americans going to be able to dance in the streets and sing "Ding Dong The Wicked Witch Is Dead"?!

grelber #50787 12/31/18 05:29 PM

How by any stretch of the imagination is this making America great again?! confused

Under Trump. America has become the GREAT...
  • JOKE to the industrialized world,
  • DUPE to the worlds despots,
  • DISAPPOINTMENT to the worlds tired, poor, huddled masses yearning to breathe free
  • FOOL to the world's scientific community
  • TERROR of those who have counted on us to act as a stabilizing influence in world politics
  • NOTHING to the international community
  • OBJECT OF PITY to the world
  • EMBARRASSMENT to the majority of its citizens with more than a Junior High School education and those living urban areas
Trump said he would make America great again and he certainly has made America "great"in many arenas but I don't think in any arena the American people want to be great in.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50788 01/01/19 12:22 AM

Well said.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #50789 01/01/19 11:28 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

And thanks to the Wacko in Chief's vision of Great America and license to kill, "the purge" begins, slowly but surely:

Wielding Rocks and Knives, Arizonans Attack Self-Driving Cars

grelber #50794 01/01/19 07:17 PM

And thanks to the Wacko in Chief's vision of Great America and license to kill, "the purge" begins, slowly but surely:

Wielding Rocks and Knives, Arizonans Attack Self-Driving Cars

When you realize that Chandler is in Maricopa County, Arizona where Sheriff Joe Arpaio reigned supreme and pointedly ignored constitutional law for years, attacks on self driving vehicles shouldn't be surprising. It fits the context.

— Albert Einstein
grelber #50861 01/08/19 08:34 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Borderline Insanity

President Trump rained cruelties on immigrants and asylum seekers and now wants hundreds of millions of dollars to address the humanitarian crisis he caused.

The Gangster-in-Chief's — to use Chuck Lorre's epithet — destruction of the real American way of life is gradually coming home to roost and to rot.

And this might be the week when his psychotic in(s)anity is recognized by his "base". They didn't seem to mind his killing children, refugees, asylum seekers et al, but now that he's killing the underemployed and undereducated in his base, as well as a few more solid middle Americans, they're likely to get a clue.

As noted in the media, because of the government shutdown, national parks are being polluted by human excrement — bringing us full circle to which nation is a "shithole" now (and we're not talking about any place on the other side of the world)!

Not only does he grab them, he is one — ie, a true c*nt in the finest British sense and tradition.

grelber #50940 01/18/19 09:10 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Washington as Unruly Sandbox: Squabbles, Antics and Tantrums

As the shutdown drags on, Trump-like behavior proliferates. The president "does generally force people to play down to his level" ....

Closer and closer to everyone's having to live on food stamps.

When is Congress ever going to get it through their heads that the tail is wagging the dog [sorry for the mixed metaphor] — there should be enough who have the requisite IQ to understand the problem rationally — and take out the Petulant Infant in Chief (or at least give him a time-out — preferably in a pit in the outback)?!

It continues to amaze me and force me to suspend my disbelief that most of the world still misconstrues what the current Putz-in-Chief means by his battle cry "Make America Great Again".

If nothing else, his shutdown of government services — so far the epitome of his egregious behavior — makes it abundantly clear that he planned to demonstrate his disdain for and tear down America the Great if elected to the prestigious position of President and that MAGA refers to what the nation will have to do once he is no longer in office.

Last edited by grelber; 01/18/19 03:11 PM. Reason: Additional info (in red)
grelber #51085 02/08/19 09:19 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Have a gander at Bob Woodward's thorough and deeply-researched FEAR : TRUMP IN THE WHITE HOUSE (2018), which over the course of 42 chapters again and again demonstrates #45's pettiness, erratic behavior, relative ignorance, inability to learn, dangerous views, inter alia. Simply put, as Rex Tillerson (his erstwhile Secretary of State) did, "He's just a moron."

A much more accurate title would have been LOONEY TUNES & MERRIE MELODIES : TRUMP IN THE WHITE HOUSE — but I suspect that copyright issues with Warner Bros might have precluded such.

It's worth a read if you can tolerate immersing yourself in the behavior and machinations of a loopy loco in a cuckoo's nest.

Ah! Oui! la bell(iqueus)e epoque!

Or perhaps that should be Bela Lugosi ... in his last role in PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE (which is just turning 60): "Hailed as the worst movie ever made.... So mesmerizingly awful it actually improves (so to speak) with each viewing. And remember: it's all based on sworn testimony!" [Leonard Maltin's 2007 Movie Guide] Sound familiar?

Last edited by grelber; 02/08/19 03:48 PM. Reason: Additional info (in green)
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard