Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: First Look At Big Sur
MartyByrde #56671 10/28/20 09:23 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by MartyByrde
I just hope Apple gets off their a** and does not disable excellent products like SD or CCC.
I don't think that is even on their radar at the moment.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56672 10/28/20 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I just hope Apple gets off their a** and does not disable excellent products like SD or CCC.
I don't think that is even on their radar at the moment.

According to Dave Nanian at Shirt Pocket Software, they have been asking (?pestering?) Apple about this all summer. I suspect Bombich software has done the same.

I don't know if I can download this new beta version, but even if I could, not sure if SD would work with it. Even if Apple corrected the issue that Dave (and possibly Bombich) are struggling with, there is, not yet, a beta version of SD, and thus I could not do any effective testing.

What a mess!

MartyByrde #56673 10/28/20 10:41 PM

Regarding my disdain with the Cloud, I just went through an ordeal with one of my credit cards being compromised. And it all started, of all places, with the Apple Store. Someone today, at a location about 150 miles east of me, ordered some kind of camera, and used one of my credit cards to pay for the item. Well, I called the Apple store, and thankfully nothing has, per se, happened. That is, the item has not been shipped. I also called Capitol One and had my current card canceled, and a new one is on its way. The only ting I did "connected" with the card is that earlier today, I went to Bill Pay at Wells Fargo and generated a payment to that card. Maybe the "thief" captured the card information from there. It's never happened before.

Both the Apple Store and Capitol One are looking into it further.

So, I really don't think the Cloud is that safe. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but don't want to take any chances.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 10/29/20 09:27 PM.
MartyByrde #56688 10/29/20 09:21 PM
OP Offline

Having gone through a number of credit card numbers as a result of suspected fraud over the years, I empathize with your caution. That is exactly why I use Apple Pay or PayPal whenever possible for credit card transactions. Either dramatically reduces the exposure of my credit card numbers either in storage and especially during transmission. But realistically there is no way to keep credit card information off of the internet. Even if you never buy anything on the internet the information is in the bank's records and therefore vulnerable. In the end all anyone can do is take reasonable precautions and do business with financial institutions that have aggressive and vigilant fraud protection programs.

A piece of advice learned the hard way: Credit Card losses due to fraud are limited to $50 by federal statute. Debit card losses have no loss limit protection and can potentially exceed the balance of your account, even your net worth. (FTC article 0213) Don't risk using your Debit card on the internet, and don't have debit card on any account that has overdraft protection.

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/29/20 09:25 PM. Reason: overdraft note

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56689 10/29/20 09:26 PM

Having gone through a number of credit card numbers as a result of suspected fraud over the years, I empathize with your caution. That is exactly why I use Apple Pay or PayPal whenever possible for credit card transactions. Either dramatically reduces the exposure of my credit card numbers either in storage and especially during transmission. But realistically there is no way to keep credit card information off of the internet. Even if you never buy anything on the internet the information is in the bank's records and therefore vulnerable. In the end all anyone can do is take reasonable precautions and do business with financial institutions that have aggressive and vigilant fraud protection programs.

A piece of advice learned the hard way: Credit Card losses due to fraud are limited to $50 by federal statute. Debit card losses have no loss limit protection and can potentially exceed the balance of your account, even your net worth. (FTC article 0213) Don't risk using your Debit card on the internet.

Well stated! And I never use either of my debit cards for such transactions. I only use them at the appropriate ATMs. I will say, though, that back in the early 90's, I did have an issue with using my Debit Card at an appropriate ATM. All got resolved in my favor, but it sure was bizarre!

Last edited by MartyByrde; 10/29/20 09:30 PM.
MartyByrde #56704 10/30/20 07:13 PM
OP Offline

From what I can remember, and especially recently, this is the latest time a new mac OS has not been released yet. I wonder if Big Sur is much more challenging for Apple, or if Apple is deliberately timing Big Sur's release with their Silicon Event expected to happen on November 9th, or possibly both. Either way, all the more reason to exercise caution in moving/upgrading to OS 11, especially the first few versions. As I mentioned previously, I will test Big Sur (probably after V11.1 is released) on a separate external SSD.
You might be interested in the MacOS 11.0.1 release Notes. If you are not interested in the technical details I can sum them up by saying they won't effect you until you buy a computer with Apple Silicon or will be developing apps intended to run on Apple Silicon. The consensus is MacOS 11.0 wlll be released next week concurrent with the announcement of a MacBook and iMac with Apple Silicon.

There is nothing to indicate anything related to clones or cloning.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56710 10/30/20 10:30 PM

From what I can remember, and especially recently, this is the latest time a new mac OS has not been released yet. I wonder if Big Sur is much more challenging for Apple, or if Apple is deliberately timing Big Sur's release with their Silicon Event expected to happen on November 9th, or possibly both. Either way, all the more reason to exercise caution in moving/upgrading to OS 11, especially the first few versions. As I mentioned previously, I will test Big Sur (probably after V11.1 is released) on a separate external SSD.
You might be interested in the MacOS 11.0.1 release Notes. If you are not interested in the technical details I can sum them up by saying they won't effect you until you buy a computer with Apple Silicon or will be developing apps intended to run on Apple Silicon. The consensus is MacOS 11.0 wlll be released next week concurrent with the announcement of a MacBook and iMac with Apple Silicon.

There is nothing to indicate anything related to clones or cloning.

I do not plan on purchasing a Mac with Apple Silicon, at least not in the "near" future. But no matter when the first version of Big Sur is released, it is still later than recent versions of the mac OS. Also, as I've mentioned before, first few versions will have bugs. And, of course, there is the issue of third party software compatibility. LibreOffice did release a new version yesterday, but it is not for Big Sur compatibility. Additionally, as has been the case in the past, software like Onyx, SuperDuper!, Carbon Copy Cloner, and Tech Tool Pro (and ones similar to it) are dealing with "disk level" tasks, and thus require more development time and testing. I also need to see an update for Thunderbird for such compatibility.

I will do my own Big Sur testing probably after V11.1 arrives. Meanwhile, I'll keep reading about experiences others are having. Catalina works just fine.

And yes, nothing in that link related to clones or cloning. Guess we'll just have to wait to hear from Bombich Software and Shirt Pocket Software regarding such compatibility. Myself, I require full compatibility for SD, ie, it makes the necessary backups like now, and those backups must be bootable.

PS: Just checked the Blogs for both SD and CCC, and nothing about this at all.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 10/30/20 10:36 PM.
MartyByrde #56713 10/31/20 08:41 AM

As for the upgrades themselves, only Tech Tool Pro requires a payment (although they have stated that the Big Sur compatible version will be free). Also, if one needs such software for an issue, such software needs to be compatible, especially at the time one needs it. I prefer to wait until such compatibility is there.
Out of curiosity, when was the last time you actually NEEDED to run TTP?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #56714 10/31/20 09:20 AM

Artie we are starting to think more and more alike, but CCC, while convenient, is NOT on my critical list.
  • I make full use of iCloud, both my Desktop and Documents folders are mirrored from iCloud along with the Music and Photos libraries, keychain, mail, etc.. Not only does that keep all of my Apple devices in perfect sync, it conserves storage space on all of them as well, and after self-induced disasters has been instrumental in recovering not only my iPad and iPhone, but to my surprise and great relief, Mac mini as well.
  • Between the Recovery Drive, Time machine, and iCloud the primary reason I have for a clone would be speed of recovery from a disaster and I would still are likely to end up resorting to Migration Assistant and Time Machine, or relying on iCloud to recover the latest changes.

…so I can easily get by without a clone.
Since I don't use either iCloud or Time Machine, I'll stick/I'm stuck with my CCC clones.

The Recovery Drive/Migration Assistant process is very significantly more time consuming than simply restoring from a clone, and I add so little new data to my MBP in the - max - 24 hours that pass between clones that I've been able to recreate it from my head the one or two times I"ve needed to. (I'll probably get bitten by that sooner or later, but what's life without an edge?)

After overcoming the initial difficulty of creating a clone, the remaining "nuisance" factor, with which I can easily live, will be the need to run each macOS update on each clone.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56721 10/31/20 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
As for the upgrades themselves, only Tech Tool Pro requires a payment (although they have stated that the Big Sur compatible version will be free). Also, if one needs such software for an issue, such software needs to be compatible, especially at the time one needs it. I prefer to wait until such compatibility is there.
Out of curiosity, when was the last time you actually NEEDED to run TTP?

Why the SHOUTING? I am right here, not 10 miles away!

But, to answer your question, I am a cleaning "nut", no matter what it is: our cars, our townhome, the dishes, my computers. Since I run my two SD backups for each machine every Saturday, while I am cleaning my town home, it is not a burden to first run Onyx AND Tech Tool Pro. It just means I have a "as clean as possible" backup/clone.

When that issue with OS 10.15.6 reared its ugly head, I did run TTPro on those just completed SD backups. Nothing found, but better to be safe than sorry.

I am willing to bet that over 75% of folks do little, if any, disk cleanup/maintenance. I actually am doing disk cleanup every day by permanently removing deleted EMails in Thunderbird. It's just second nature to me. And I have consistently seen folks have issues with Apple's Mail program. When I mention permanently removing deleted EMails, they don't have a clue what I am referring to.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 10/31/20 07:28 PM.
artie505 #56722 10/31/20 07:37 PM

Artie we are starting to think more and more alike, but CCC, while convenient, is NOT on my critical list.
  • I make full use of iCloud, both my Desktop and Documents folders are mirrored from iCloud along with the Music and Photos libraries, keychain, mail, etc.. Not only does that keep all of my Apple devices in perfect sync, it conserves storage space on all of them as well, and after self-induced disasters has been instrumental in recovering not only my iPad and iPhone, but to my surprise and great relief, Mac mini as well.
  • Between the Recovery Drive, Time machine, and iCloud the primary reason I have for a clone would be speed of recovery from a disaster and I would still are likely to end up resorting to Migration Assistant and Time Machine, or relying on iCloud to recover the latest changes.

…so I can easily get by without a clone.
Since I don't use either iCloud or Time Machine, I'll stick/I'm stuck with my CCC clones.

The Recovery Drive/Migration Assistant process is very significantly more time consuming than simply restoring from a clone, and I add so little new data to my MBP in the - max - 24 hours that pass between clones that I've been able to recreate it from my head the one or two times I"ve needed to. (I'll probably get bitten by that sooner or later, but what's life without an edge?)

After overcoming the initial difficulty of creating a clone, the remaining "nuisance" factor, with which I can easily live, will be the need to run each macOS update on each clone.

Same here. The things that change the most for me between my weekly SD backups are 1) EMails, 2) transactions in Quicken, and 3) updates to applications (I save them).

As I mentioned before, when I upgrade to a new mac OS (or a new version of it), after having already downloaded the full installer, and it is on the SD backup, I restart the respective Mac from that clone, use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format the internal SSD, navigate to the full installer file, and do a clean, fresh installation of that mac OS. At the end of that, I am offered the opportunity to migrate/copy needed files, folders, etc. from a backup (time Machine or other), or another Mac. Well, I just choose that just completed SD backup, and away it goes. It's not that bad (faster on my Mac Mini than on my MacBook Air).

I much prefer that method than using the Recovery Drive. Has always worked flawlessly for me.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 10/31/20 11:22 PM.
MartyByrde #56735 11/01/20 12:30 AM
OP Offline

I am willing to bet that over 75% of folks do little, if any, disk cleanup/maintenance. I actually am doing disk cleanup every day by permanently removing deleted EMails in Thunderbird. It's just second nature to me. And I have consistently seen folks have issues with Apple's Mail program. When I mention permanently removing deleted EMails, they don't have a clue what I am referring to.
I think you grossly overestimate the number of Mac users that do any, if any, disk maintenance. I used to have a regular daily, weekly, and monthly routines but with the evolution of MacOS, I have come to the conclusion they are no longer needed and are a waste of time. The advent of solid state drives means some of those routines no longer have any impact on performance. Taken together with APFS where the old file and drive optimizing routines I used to rely on can be counter-productive.

However, I manually perform semi-regular "house-cleaning" eliminating unused apps and utilities, and eliminating file duplication.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56736 11/01/20 02:00 AM

I think you grossly overestimate the number of Mac users that do any, if any, disk maintenance. I used to have a regular daily, weekly, and monthly routines but with the evolution of MacOS, I have come to the conclusion they are no longer needed and are a waste of time. The advent of solid state drives means some of those routines no longer have any impact on performance. Taken together with APFS where the old file and drive optimizing routines I used to rely on can be counter-productive.

However, I manually perform semi-regular "house-cleaning" eliminating unused apps and utilities, and eliminating file duplication.

Well, it's similar to newer and newer automobiles. But there is still a need for at least some basic maintenance. Plus, it never hurts to learn things about one's car (or cars, as in my case).

Still, I will continue to do my daily cleanup (99.9% of the time that involves permanently removing deleted EMails). My weekly tasks will continue to apply Onyx, Tech Tool Pro, and SuperDuper! (yes, SD is a backup tasks, but still good to do it in concert with Onyx and Tech Tool Pro). And given that I am doing other tasks at the same time, it is not a burden at all. I believe that if I did not perform those tasks, I would feel like I am asking for trouble. Similarly when I do not clean our townhome on a Saturday (needed to skip one about a month ago, as I was not feeling well), I feel a loss, along with not feeling 100% "clean".

Again, it just comes naturally for me, and it definitely can't hurt. Plus, I rarely, if ever, have any issues.

artie505 #56776 11/05/20 11:06 AM

These are the contents of an email l received from Mike Bombich. I think they're worth a read by all. (The related resources are links, one or all of which I'll resolve if asked.)

macOS Big Sur and Carbon Copy Cloner backups

Apple will be shipping a major new operating system in the near future, and I wanted to take a moment explain how this change affects your CCC backups.

We recommend waiting for a few updates before upgrading to Big Sur because important components of the OS aren't working yet.
Early adopters can install macOS Big Sur onto the CCC backup volume to make it bootable.

What's changing in Apple's next OS upgrade?
With the announcement of macOS Big Sur, Apple has retired Mac OS X (10) and replaced it with macOS 11. As with every OS since the original release of Mac OS X, CCC has been adapted to accommodate the changes to this new OS. As the numeric change would suggest, though, this is the biggest change to macOS since Apple introduced Mac OS X roughly 20 years ago.

The system now resides on a "Signed System Volume". This volume is cryptographically sealed, and that seal can only be applied by Apple; ordinary copies of the System volume are non-bootable without Apple's seal. To create a functional copy of the macOS 11 System volume, we have to use an Apple tool to copy the system, or install macOS onto the backup.

Will CCC 5 work on macOS 11 or will I have to upgrade?
CCC 5.1.22 is qualified for use on macOS Big Sur, and that update is free for all CCC 5 license holders. Choose "Check for updates…" from the "Carbon Copy Cloner" menu and follow the instructions provided to apply the update.

Can CCC copy the macOS 11 System volume?
CCC will be able to use Apple's APFS replication utility ("ASR") to copy the System volume (we field-tested that functionality for the flawed 10.15.5 update). As of the latest Big Sur release, however, Apple's APFS replication utility is not working correctly with the Signed System Volume. As a result, ASR-created copies of the System volume are not bootable. Apple is aware of this issue and is currently working to resolve it.

Can I still make bootable backups on macOS 11?
Yes. There are two approaches to making your backups bootable on Apple's new OS. When Apple works out the problems in its APFS replication utility in an future update to macOS Big Sur, CCC will leverage that directly to copy the System volume and produce bootable backups. In the meantime, you can install macOS Big Sur onto your APFS-formatted CCC backup volume if you would like to make it bootable.

Does CCC back up all of my data, applications, and system settings?
Yes, absolutely. This part of CCC has not changed — CCC continues to provide complete backups of all of your data, applications, and system settings. Additionally, CCC offers support for snapshots, giving you access to older versions of your files. We design CCC to be a complete and more flexible replacement to Time Machine.

Does my CCC backup have to be bootable for me to restore data from it?
No. Bootability is a convenience that allows you to continue working if your startup disk fails, but it is not required for restoring data from a CCC backup. You can restore individual folders and older versions of files (i.e. from snapshots) using CCC while booted from your production startup disk. CCC backups are also compatible with Migration Assistant, so you can use Migration Assistant to restore all of your data to a clean installation of macOS (e.g. on a replacement disk).

Should I upgrade my Mac to macOS Big Sur?
Major system upgrades are often disruptive, so we have always recommended a very conservative approach to applying them. Consider the following:

Is the upgrade required for my Mac?
Will this upgrade improve the performance of my Mac, or degrade performance?
Does the upgrade provide some functionality that will make me more productive, or otherwise greatly increase my enjoyment of using my Mac?
Does the upgrade fix a problem that is preventing me from effectively using my Mac?
What software will no longer work after applying the upgrade?
If the upgrade turns out poorly and you have to downgrade, you certainly may downgrade using a CCC backup from an earlier OS. These sorts of procedures require time and effort, though, so you should weigh that potential hassle against the potential gain of the OS upgrade.

Lastly, we recommend that any users that rely heavily upon the availability of their Mac for work or other productivity consider waiting for several OS updates before making the upgrade. Early adopters inevitably find some shortcomings and bugs which are resolved in minor OS updates.

Related resources
Restoring from a bootable backup
Restoring from a snapshot
Migrating data from a data-only backup using Migration Assistant
Frequently asked questions about CCC and macOS Catalina (many of these are also applicable to Big Sur)
Best practices for updating your Mac's OS
macOS Big Sur Known Issues

We take pride in listening to our customers and strive to continually make CCC better. Do you have suggestions, requests, or questions? Just reply to this email and we'll take a look.

Mike Bombich

artie505 #56780 11/05/20 06:16 PM

Thanks for the posting. I thought Mike's list of questions to ask about upgrades is equally useful as a set of queries to apply to decisions on updates.

Is the upgrade required for my Mac?
Will this upgrade improve the performance of my Mac, or degrade performance?
Does the upgrade provide some functionality that will make me more productive, or otherwise greatly increase my enjoyment of using my Mac?
Does the upgrade fix a problem that is preventing me from effectively using my Mac?
What software will no longer work after applying the upgrade?
If the upgrade turns out poorly and you have to downgrade, you certainly may downgrade using a CCC backup from an earlier OS. These sorts of procedures require time and effort, though, so you should weigh that potential hassle against the potential gain of the OS upgrade.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #56783 11/05/20 06:34 PM

Yeah, excellent post about communications with Bombich software. Also, this one:

"Can CCC copy the macOS 11 System volume?
CCC will be able to use Apple's APFS replication utility ("ASR") to copy the System volume (we field-tested that functionality for the flawed 10.15.5 update). As of the latest Big Sur release, however, Apple's APFS replication utility is not working correctly with the Signed System Volume. As a result, ASR-created copies of the System volume are not bootable. Apple is aware of this issue and is currently working to resolve it."

Dave Nanian at Shirt Pocket Software says the same thing here:

https://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/

Another thing to consider, and this is true for all third party developers, is that quite possibly two versions of such software could be required: one for Big Sur compatibility on Intel-based Macs, and one for Big Sur compatibility on the new Silicon Macs.

MartyByrde #56786 11/05/20 11:18 PM
OP Offline

Another thing to consider, and this is true for all third party developers, is that quite possibly two versions of such software could be required: one for Big Sur compatibility on Intel-based Macs, and one for Big Sur compatibility on the new Silicon Macs.
Thanks to Rosetta the only ARM vs. Intel issue should be how much of a performance hit Rosetta will impose and it is highly likely the ARM will be fast enough that hit will be unnoticeable. There will undoubtedly be a period where apps will have universal (both Intel and ARM executables in the same package) but that will be because of performance issues and a desire to retain backward compatibility with the installed Intel user base, but I expect one of the first available third party utilities will be to remove either the ARM or Intel code from the application package to reduce the size; there are still one or two left from the PowerPC to Intel transition that should be a snap to adapt. The dual version approach was attempted by a few, very few, developers during the PowerPC to Intel conversion, but that drastically increased the development costs, and was quickly abandoned. I doubt any will make the same mistake this time around.

What is already an issue for developers of kernel extensions, is some of the APIs they used were deprecated a couple of years or more back and are totally removed from MacOS 11. Still others, who have relied on embedding their kernel extensions deep in the bowels of the OS, have found installing their extensions breaks the seal on the boot snapshot rendering it un-bootable and they are having to figure a new way to do their job without taking a major performance hit. But neither of these issues, or the clone issue, are processor related, rather a function of hardening the MacOS SYSTEM, and impact Intel and ARM systems equally. Developers who follow sound design and coding practices, and stay within Apple's guidelines, should encounter few problems.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56787 11/05/20 11:37 PM
OP Offline

If OnyX is a must have for Big Sur, take a look at this from the developer and donate. If it is worth using, it is worth supporting.

FULL DISCLOSURE; I have no relationship, pecuniary or otherwise with Titanium Software, the developer of ONYX, not even that of a user, but I believe in supporting good software.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56788 11/06/20 12:06 AM

If OnyX is a must have for Big Sur, take a look at this from the developer and donate. If it is worth using, it is worth supporting.

FULL DISCLOSURE; I have no relationship, pecuniary or otherwise with Titanium Software, the developer of ONYX, not even that of a user, but I believe in supporting good software.

Already did a few weeks ago. And it's also for that exact reason why I paid for SuperDuper!, even though I do not use its enhanced features.

joemikeb #56789 11/06/20 12:20 AM

Thanks for posting that link to Titanium Software. I have had OnyX for ages (and thankfully rarely need it) but I just made a donation.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
joemikeb #56790 11/06/20 07:50 AM

What is already an issue for developers of kernel extensions, is some of the APIs they used were deprecated a couple of years or more back and are totally removed from MacOS 11. Still others, who have relied on embedding their kernel extensions deep in the bowels of the OS, have found installing their extensions breaks the seal on the boot snapshot rendering it un-bootable and they are having to figure a new way to do their job without taking a major performance hit.
More from Mike:
artie: Is the system volume actually MORE untouchable in Big Sur than it is in Catalina...?

Mike: Yes, it's cryptographically sealed and then a snapshot is taken. On startup, the snapshot is mounted and that's what the system boots from – the original System volume isn't even mounted. If you mount the System volume and make changes to it, that renders the system non-bootable. You can learn more about it here:

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=3xpv8r2m

There is actually a mode in which you could modify the system and create your own snapshots, but that's geared towards kernel extension developers.
And (also from Mike) https://twitter.com/ebadtweet/status/1275454103900971012?lang=en is interesting, but pending further reading and digestion, I think it's beyond me

joemikeb #56791 11/06/20 01:35 PM

For sure....I used OnyX quite a bit while sorting out a "slowness issue" in another thread. We all need to support our Shareware developers if we want to have such good software without needing to drop a C-Note on a giant corporation.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #56795 11/06/20 05:42 PM
OP Offline

This morning I found updates for MacOS 11.0.1 beta, iOS & iPadOS 14.2, WatchOS 7.1, and tvOS 14.2. The release notes indicate macOS 11.0.1 is a release candidate, so it will likely be coming to your Mac around noon PST Tuesday. 🤞
The major fix in this beta is Safari is no longer subject to unexpected crashes. 👏

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56826 11/10/20 07:58 PM
OP Offline

NOW I UNDERSTAND

I had noticed the MacOS 11.0.1 betas were noticeably slower waking up from sleep and in the initial launch of an app. After. watching today’s event, I realized that Big Sur has been so highly optimized for Apple Silicon it apparently de-optimized some operations for Intel based macs. Be that as it may, I remain more than satisfied with Big Sur’s performance on my Intel based, Mac mini.

I know that some of you will not be pleased by Apple’s continued emphasis on ever thinner and lighter MacBooks and MacBook Pros but, Apple is offfering what appear to be VERY generous trade-ins for the new models with Apple silicon.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56828 11/10/20 11:17 PM

NOW I UNDERSTAND

I had noticed the MacOS 11.0.1 betas were noticeably slower waking up from sleep and in the initial launch of an app. After. watching today’s event, I realized that Big Sur has been so highly optimized for Apple Silicon it apparently de-optimized some operations for Intel based macs. Be that as it may, I remain more than satisfied with Big Sur’s performance on my Intel based, Mac mini.

I know that some of you will not be pleased by Apple’s continued emphasis on ever thinner and lighter MacBooks and MacBook Pros but, Apple is offfering what appear to be VERY generous trade-ins for the new models with Apple silicon.

Thanks for that, joemikeb. And encouraging to hear that Big Sur is performing fine on your Mac MIni. I have a late 2018 Core i5 Mac Mini, with 8 gig of Ram and a 256 gig SSD, so I am hoping for even better performance by the time I move to Big Sur (most likely in January).

I also noticed how inexpensive the new Silicon-based Mac Minis and MacBook Airs are. In fact, $699 for a Mac Mini with 8 gig of Ram and a 256 gig SSD is an excellent price! My current late 2018 Mac Mini is only 9 months old (got it near mid February of this year), so it still works well. My MacBook Air is a mid 2017 model, with 8 gig of Ram and a 252 gig SSD. If I were to purchase a Silicon-based machine, the Air would be first. But of course that will have to wait for third party compatibility, although I understand Big Sur has something "Rosetta-like" to address that issue.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard