for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tabs disappearing
#55311 07/21/20 05:23 PM
OP Offline

Lately, when I start my day with my Mac, all the tabs from the previous few days have disappeared off Safari. This happens every few days, not everyday. Firefox still has the tabs I put on there. Any ideas? It's so aggravating. I check the history, but that's a pain as I search a lot. I keep certain tabs open for a reason.

Any help would be appreciated. I can't even log into FTM on Safari anymore. Safari "can't open the webpage." Thank goodness for my Firefox and TOR.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Tabs disappearing
plantsower #55345 07/22/20 08:51 PM
OP Offline

Nobody?

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Lately, when I start my day with my Mac, all the tabs from the previous few days have disappeared off Safari. This happens every few days, not everyday. Firefox still has the tabs I put on there. Any ideas? It's so aggravating. I check the history, but that's a pain as I search a lot. I keep certain tabs open for a reason.

Any help would be appreciated. I can't even log into FTM on Safari anymore. Safari "can't open the webpage." Thank goodness for my Firefox and TOR.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #55348 07/22/20 11:05 PM

The best that I can do is to suggest that you empty the Safari cache. If you don't have the Develop menu enabled (Safari > Preferences > Advanced), you can use the keyboard shortcut: Command-Option-E.

Relaunch Safari and see if that helps. This is a stab in the dark, but it won't hurt anything. Be aware, however, that you will temporarily lose site-specific icons. They will regenerate as you navigate to those sites.

Last edited by jchuzi; 07/22/20 11:40 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #55350 07/22/20 11:52 PM

The can't open web page notification taken together with the loss of your tab settings sounds like something an internet security app might do. Are you running any new internet protection software, or perhaps one you have been using for a while has been updated with new features? What, if any, Safari extensions are you running?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #55360 07/23/20 04:29 PM
OP Offline

Hi Jon:

I do have the develop icon on my toolbar. I just don't think to empty cache when something goes wrong. I will do that and restart the next time it happens.. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
The best that I can do is to suggest that you empty the Safari cache. If you don't have the Develop menu enabled (Safari > Preferences > Advanced), you can use the keyboard shortcut: Command-Option-E.

Relaunch Safari and see if that helps. This is a stab in the dark, but it won't hurt anything. Be aware, however, that you will temporarily lose site-specific icons. They will regenerate as you navigate to those sites.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #55361 07/23/20 04:36 PM
OP Offline

No new security software, but I do have a lot of extensions:
Ad Block Engine
Adblock icon, ABP
ABP control panel
AB block utilities
Ad blocker for Youtube (doesn't seem to work on Safari)
Ebates Rakuten cash back
Ghostery
Honey
Wipr

Looks like I've overdone it. Any ideas about which to get rid of and still get what I need would be welcome. Thanks. I think, if I remember correctly, Wipr caused me problems in the past.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
The can't open web page notification taken together with the loss of your tab settings sounds like something an internet security app might do. Are you running any new internet protection software, or perhaps one you have been using for a while has been updated with new features? What, if any, Safari extensions are you running?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #55370 07/23/20 08:37 PM

I don't see any obvious suspects among your extensions, but any ad blocker could be the source of
Quote:
can't open the webpage
. The ADBlock and WIPR (I presume that is WIPR Part 1, WIPR Part 2, & WIPR Part 3) extensions duplicate one another functionally, so you might try deactivating one or the other, you don't have to delete them, and see if that error re-occurs. But neither of those should effect your tab settings.

Tab settings are stored in a preference file somewhere in your user Library which leads me to suspect some app outside of Safari as the culprit, but at the moment, I have no clue what it would be. confused

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55372 07/23/20 08:57 PM
OP Offline

I didn't know there was a WIPR 1, 2 and 3. I just have one of them. That's scary and frustrating that it could be one of my apps, and there is no way to tell. In doing a Google search just now, I guess I'm not the only one, though I didn't find a solution.

I don't see any obvious suspects among your extensions, but any ad blocker could be the source of
Quote:
can't open the webpage
. The ADBlock and WIPR (I presume that is WIPR Part 1, WIPR Part 2, & WIPR Part 3) extensions duplicate one another functionally, so you might try deactivating one or the other, you don't have to delete them, and see if that error re-occurs. But neither of those should effect your tab settings.

Tab settings are stored in a preference file somewhere in your user Library which leads me to suspect some app outside of Safari as the culprit, but at the moment, I have no clue what it would be. confused

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #55374 07/23/20 09:26 PM

I didn't know there was a WIPR 1, 2 and 3. I just have one of them.

After installing Wipr you should see this.

I"m not certain what all three parts do, but the developer advised me that it works best with all three enabled.

Maybe you ought to reinstall it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #55375 07/23/20 09:30 PM

I can't even log into FTM on Safari anymore. Safari "can't open the webpage."

Is that where it ends? Nothing more specific than that?

Just to cover all bases, try disabling ALL your Safari extensions at once and see what, if anything, happens, and play it by ear from there.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #55376 07/24/20 12:49 AM

I can't even log into FTM on Safari anymore. Safari "can't open the webpage." Thank goodness for my Firefox and TOR.
Interesting, I just ran into the same issue. Somehow I was logged out earlier today and—like you—could not log in anymore to comment here (Safari Can't Open the Page). No problem on Chrome. After a reboot my first attempt to log in on Safari had the same problem, but the second succeeded, albeit with a fraction of the Forum List page showing. A refresh restored the rest.*

As it happens, my internal hard drive is about to die (due to ‘a significant number of damaged areas’), and I couldn’t be sure if the two phenomena were related or interacting. Anyway, I would suggest you (1) reboot and see if you can login again (it might also clear Safari’s ‘cobwebby’ tabs…), and (2) run a hardware test on your HD, just in case.

*) Curious. It turns out I could not post this on Safari after using Preview, which in turn only showed after hitting that button twice, with a subsequent Submit resulting in an error (Safari Can't Open the Page). Bypassing Preview to Submit worked. Adding this addendum showed the same strange behavior: previewing before submitting required two button hits, whereupon Submit returned the error. Returning to the edit page via the back arrow and then hitting Submit worked. Weird, and I’m now pretty sure it isn’t my HD.

Last edited by alternaut; 07/24/20 01:11 AM.

alternaut moderator
plantsower #55381 07/24/20 04:52 PM

I didn't know there was a WIPR 1, 2 and 3. I just have one of them. That's scary and frustrating that it could be one of my apps, and there is no way to tell. In doing a Google search just now, I guess I'm not the only one, though I didn't find a solution.

🤦🏻‍♂️ I just remembered you running Sierra (MacOS 10.12). I forget whether it was in High Sierra or Mojave, Apple dropped support for the style of extensions used in previous MacOS and Safari versions and switched to extensions downloaded from the App Store. That is when WIPR 1, WIPR 2, and WIPR 3 came on the scene. As to AdBlock, as far as I know AdBlock Pro - Legacy ($9.99) is the only supported version of AdBlock for legacy systems such as Sierra. While your legacy ad blockers may continue to work, they will become less and less effective as advertisers develop newer ways of avoiding blockers. I suggest you consider Uninstalling all of your current ad blockers and install AdBlock Pro - Legacy.

Unfortunately, while that will most likely improve your ad blocking, it does not solve either the issue of being unable to reach FineTunedMac using Safari or Safari's disappearing tabs. While I can think of any number of reasons, you might be getting that error message, all of them would affect any browser on your system, not just Safari. The one thing I can think of would be an intermittent network situation that coincidentally occurred while you were using Safari. (Yes, I know that is thin and still leaves the disappearing tabs completely unexplained, but it is all I've got at the moment 🤓.)

— Albert Einstein
alternaut #55382 07/24/20 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
*) Curious. It turns out I could not post this on Safari after using Preview, which in turn only showed after hitting that button twice, with a subsequent Submit resulting in an error (Safari Can't Open the Page). Bypassing Preview to Submit worked. Adding this addendum showed the same strange behavior: previewing before submitting required two button hits, whereupon Submit returned the error. Returning to the edit page via the back arrow and then hitting Submit worked. Weird, and I’m now pretty sure it isn’t my HD.

Do you mean the Preview App in MacOS or the UBB Preview Post in Safari?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #55383 07/24/20 04:58 PM
OP Offline

Yep, from what I can remember. See Alternaut's subsequent post.

Originally Posted By: artie505
I can't even log into FTM on Safari anymore. Safari "can't open the webpage."

Is that where it ends? Nothing more specific than that?

Just to cover all bases, try disabling ALL your Safari extensions at once and see what, if anything, happens, and play it by ear from there.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

alternaut #55384 07/24/20 05:01 PM
OP Offline

Safari and FTM are playing nice now. It only happens now and then, but when I go to Develop and "open page with Firefox", all is well. I do refresh my browser now and then.

Originally Posted By: alternaut
I can't even log into FTM on Safari anymore. Safari "can't open the webpage." Thank goodness for my Firefox and TOR.
Interesting, I just ran into the same issue. Somehow I was logged out earlier today and—like you—could not log in anymore to comment here (Safari Can't Open the Page). No problem on Chrome. After a reboot my first attempt to log in on Safari had the same problem, but the second succeeded, albeit with a fraction of the Forum List page showing. A refresh restored the rest.*

As it happens, my internal hard drive is about to die (due to ‘a significant number of damaged areas’), and I couldn’t be sure if the two phenomena were related or interacting. Anyway, I would suggest you (1) reboot and see if you can login again (it might also clear Safari’s ‘cobwebby’ tabs…), and (2) run a hardware test on your HD, just in case.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #55385 07/24/20 05:03 PM
OP Offline

Yep, I know about the extension/app thing from our previous conversations. If things continue to go wonky, it just might be the push I need to upgrade way up to High Sierra! LOL!

🤦🏻‍♂️ I just remembered you running Sierra (MacOS 10.12). I forget whether it was in High Sierra or Mojave, Apple dropped support for the style of extensions used in previous MacOS and Safari versions and switched to extensions downloaded from the App Store. That is when WIPR 1, WIPR 2, and WIPR 3 came on the scene. As to AdBlock, as far as I know AdBlock Pro - Legacy ($9.99) is the only supported version of AdBlock for legacy systems such as Sierra. While your legacy ad blockers may continue to work, they will become less and less effective as advertisers develop newer ways of avoiding blockers. I suggest you consider Uninstalling all of your current ad blockers and install AdBlock Pro - Legacy.

Unfortunately, while that will most likely improve your ad blocking, it does not solve either the issue of being unable to reach FineTunedMac using Safari or Safari's disappearing tabs. While I can think of any number of reasons, you might be getting that error message, all of them would affect any browser on your system, not just Safari. The one thing I can think of would be an intermittent network situation that coincidentally occurred while you were using Safari. (Yes, I know that is thin and still leaves the disappearing tabs completely unexplained, but it is all I've got at the moment 🤓.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #55386 07/24/20 05:04 PM
OP Offline

Something to think about.

I"m not certain what all three parts do, but the developer advised me that it works best with all three enabled.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #55391 07/24/20 06:52 PM

Something to think about.

Yep, but totally qualified by joemike's post. (I forgot about your legacy OS.)

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard